Lumens and Actual "brightness"?

Drjones

Enlightened
Lumens and Actual \"brightness\"?

Hi all.

As some of you may know, I'm in the market for a Surefire.

I've pretty much settled on the C2, but depending on your answers, I might get the E2. (Easier to carry, obviously!)

The reason I chose the C2 over the E2 is because I can get a higher lumen bulb for the C2, but not the E2.

However, I've been reading threads here, and apparently lumens don't really have much to do with brightness, which is candlepower.

SO, my question is: Would the 120 lumen bulb that the C2 can accept be visibly and actually "brighter" than the 65 lumen bulb which is standard for the C2 and E2?

Am I just wasting money getting the C2 with a higher-lumen bulb?

Again, I'm looking to carry a light like this as an additional defensive tool. (Blinding an adversary, buying me a couple seconds...)

What do you think?

Thank you!
Drjones

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lumens and Actual

Believe me. When you get the C2 with the HOLA, it WILL be brighter than the E2e with MNO3... SureFire's one of the few manufacturers that actually keep an honest tab on their lumens ratings.

If you want the brighter output, get the C2 HOLA...

BTW, you DON'T want to rely totally on candlepower for brightness. Brightness extends beyond that, to lumens and candlepower (or lux). A light with high candlepower may only have a thinly focused beam that reads high at the middle, but taper off quite quickly with no sidespill, whereas another light will have not as hot a spot, but put out huge amounts of light in a large beam pattern...

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

high output lamp assembly

Drjones

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Just saw you are in Davis.

I'm in Sac.

Wanna get together to shoot sometime?

Do you shoot?

I go periodically with buddies from www.thehighroad.org

Drjones

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif (I seem to be doing a lot of that tonight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif )

Yeah, that's what I thought but wasn't sure.

Is that just the P61(?) lamp assembly?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, I don't... Would like to, but the last time I tried a shotgun, I almost took off my uncle's head...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Kind'a swore to him I'll never touch a gun again... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks for the offer, though... Maybe if you're interested in going down to Vegas for Shot Show 2004, as the time gets closer, some arrangements can be made for Sacramento and San Fran Area people to clump together...

Who knows...

And YEP, that's the P61 for the C2...

Drjones

Enlightened

I can leave my shottie at home!!!

She isn't surgically attached to me or anything! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't worry...I've got a couple Glocks that are real mild shooting...

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the SHOT show? I have heard of it, and I know I SHOULD know what it is but...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

http://www.shotshow.org/

Shot Show thread

Last year (or actually just in February of this year), CPFers got together in Orlando, Florida for a "flashaholic getogether"...

I think one will also be done this upcoming year.

And the show's got all sorts of displays, from flashlights to knives to guns... Lots of goodies...

Drjones

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Got this off of their site:

NOTE: Only members of the trade may attend the Show,
and must provide a valid Federal Firearms License (FFL) number,
State Tax Number, or Industry Related Business Card.
No one under 16, including infants will be permitted on the Show floor.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't worry... Peter Gransee (Arc Flashlights) will usually take care of everything... Like always...

Stick to him and you'll be set... Quite a few here went in February, and not all of them were "dealers"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Drjones

Enlightened

Does that mean we get to buy stuff at wholesale??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hehe... Who knows. This'll be my first Shot Show when I attend, so maybe... Just getting the chance to see the displays, new gadgets and lights, is enough for me...

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Drjones: i have a C2 and its my favourite surefire! the grip rings and belt clip are very useful, and the hola option can be very useful (i use the P60 due to budget constraints /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

For maximum carryability, go with E2. If you're willing to sacrifice some carryability for brightness (and better fit as a tactical light), go with the C2 (or G2Z, or whatever). You will see a difference when you drop the P61 bulb in. The P61 puts out a lot more light, and you will notice it.