Novatac with HDS 17670 tube issue

bluecrow76

Enlightened
So I noticed an issue today with my Novatacs and the HDS 17670 tube. I have searched around a bit tonight and haven't found anything yet, so here's the situation.

First, here is what I have. I have two Novatac 120P's (one with a flat switch, the other with a tactical switch), two HDS 17670 tubes (one I bought new and came with an HDS flat switch, the other I bought used and came with a Novatac flat switch).

With the 17670 tubes on either light with either switch type (HDS or Novatac, flat or tactical) with either spring type (stock spring or Hogo's flat bar style to use 18650 cells), when the light is on and placed on its tail with mild force (or smacked against the palm but not contacting the actual switch) the light goes to low and then turns off. I noticed it for the first time tonight what I placed the light tail stand style on the kitchen counter with all the lights out... no I'm not slamming it down to produce the problem... this was normal usage.

If I put the CR123 tube on either light with either switch type (Novatac flat or tactical), I can throw it around as much as I want and it just keeps on putting out light.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's the spring.The battery is losing contact for a split second thats why it drops to a lower level.Try to pull the spring a little to increase it's length.Two 123 are longer then a 17670.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery contact and the positive terminal. If you put a small magnet on the positive terminal on the battery it will help this from happening.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
It is definitely the positive side of the battery disconnecting momentarily, so the low and then off is the same thing you would see if you were initiating any of the resets. Looks like there isn't enough pressure from the tail spring to counter the mass of the larger cells.

My AW protected 17670 cells (no nipples) are the exact same height as two CR123 cells. Even with a small magnet on top it still disconnects. Yours are probably bigger than mine! :grin2: I'll do some experimenting...

Knowing why is half the battle though! Thanks for the tips!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a couple of the smaller magnets. Also stretching the negative contact spring in the tail will help as well.