Romisen RC-G2 vs. RC-G2 Cree Q5

IronRanger

Newly Enlightened
I bought the original RC-G2 and I love the throw, but the lack of spill bugs me. Is the Cree Q5 version (from ShiningBeam) that much better? It says twice the spill, but that's hard to judge, since there's very little on the original.

Does anyone have the two to compare and post pictures?

If anyone has any suggestions on other 1xAA flashlights throw 'em my way.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Anto

Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/209354

Both the G2 and the G2-Q5 are on there

img6234wm7.jpg

Q5 on right,
spill is rated double that of the older one, throw is up by a teeny bit.

Last edited:

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
Since we're on the subject of the RC-G2, does anyone have their light fail on them? Mine doesnt work once in a while, but when i hit it a little it works again. Any fixes on this issue?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
white walls can be deceiving, I find they tend to make the dimmer lights look brighter when 2 or more lights are pictured next to each other. (at least with DX drop ins). Out in the field the differences become more readily apparent.

I thought I read somewhere that the minimag rubber lens-filter shroud works on the G2 (dont quote me on that). If it does, a diffuser lens might be a better solution.

I use a bottle cap on my Romisen and its great for close range flood.
dscn0387gw0.jpg

dscn0379yr2.jpg

dscn0380go6.jpg

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we're on the subject of the RC-G2, does anyone have their light fail on them? Mine doesnt work once in a while, but when i hit it a little it works again. Any fixes on this issue?

Check the soldering around the emitter (should be nice blobs, not ground down), or loosen off the head a wee bit. Mine did the same; turns out the relfector was shorting out the LED by contacting on the solder points for the LED.

Elliot

Newly Enlightened
Om my G2 I can unscrew the head (like a mini maglite) and get the hotspot to fill the corona for more of a flood beam.

Last edited:

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
Check the soldering around the emitter (should be nice blobs, not ground down), or loosen off the head a wee bit. Mine did the same; turns out the relfector was shorting out the LED by contacting on the solder points for the LED.
What do you mean by ground down?

Bonky

Banned
another problem with white wall beamshots is that lights that have a smoother transition from spot to spill to darkness appear overall dimmer when in fact they may be putting out an equal amount of light.

IronRanger

Newly Enlightened
I don't think I can justify spending 20 USD plus S/H for a flashlight I paid $11 for from DX...not without further proof that it makes a significant difference.

Anyone have suggestions for a reasonably priced (under $20 with S/H) 1xAA?

I already own a Fenix E01 (AA), Romisen RC-N3 Q5 (1xCR123 or 2xAA), Romisen RC-G2 and a Fenix L2D (2xAA).

I'm looking for a more "all-around" 1xAA flashlight that's reasonably priced.

Thanks.