[Windows security] Important/Critical patch will be available Oct 23rd

mechBgon

Enlightened
Heads-up to Windows users: Microsoft is planning to release an extra security patch outside the normal monthly cycle. It fixes vulnerabilities that have a maximum severity rating of Critical for Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, and a maximum severity rating of Important for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

The patch should be available around 10AM Pacific Time on the 23rd of October. If you have Automatic Updates enabled, Windows should go get the patch by itself within a day or two, but you might want to just hit the Microsoft Update site and make sure.

If you've never been to the Microsoft Update site before, the first stage will be to upgrade your Windows Update engine to the Microsoft Update engine, allowing automagic updates for stuff like Works, Office, and other Microsoft stuff that didn't come with Windows itself.

Hope that's helpful to someone :)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Consider disabling Windows 'Server' Service also,
I did a few years ago.

Actually, I disable Lots-O-Widows stuff...:huh:

Thanks for the helpful info mech

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > scroll down to 'Server' > double click the Server line > change 'Startup Type' > Disabled > Apply.

Last edited:

X_Marine

Enlightened
Wow, just heard about this like 6hrs ago.
Already patched and seems fine. Hope all had a good experience as well.

I was just doing some reading and thought, hey I need to post info about this. So I did a search for (patch server) and here I am. :tinfoil: As my roomee pointed out, our server was the most important because it is on the front line so to speak.

Hey this ain't a bad place but it could use a pool table.. :laughing:

Thanks for the headsup.. :wave:
X/BillyD..
icon14.gif

Latest posts