Question for First Light USA Tomahawk MC owners

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Do you ever experience inconsistent light color selection or ignition using the two small buttons?

Mine cannot decide whether it likes quick clicks or slow deliberate clicks to change colors or turn on and off. It seems like the microprocessor cannot keep up or something. I hope this is not a limitation of the light's design as I already shot an email to FLUSA asking for a replacement. If this is indeed endemic to the design then I will probably just return it. Pity if that is the case as the multicolor output is very useful to me.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
I have the LE version and have not noticed this, although I probably don't switch modes as often as you. I'll play around with mine a little tonight and let you know.

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Yesterday I pressed the cycle button ten times (from off) and got the red light ten times in a row. If you never experienced it even while you were messing with it when it was new then I probably just have a bad one. Oh well. Leslie of FLUSA got it for action. She told me to ship it back and they'll give me a new one. She will also refund the cost of shipping to me.

:thumbsup:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Yesterday I pressed the cycle button ten times (from off) and got the red light ten times in a row. If you never experienced it even while you were messing with it when it was new then I probably just have a bad one. Oh well. Leslie of FLUSA got it for action. She told me to ship it back and they'll give me a new one. She will also refund the cost of shipping to me.

:thumbsup:

I can do exactly the same on mine, but if I press twice a little bit faster, it will change to next color. Pressing to fast will not change color.

Your can also use the alternate color shift sequence: hold the shift button down and press the momentary button.

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Yes the cycle button + U button method works but it requires two hands (or a very unergonomic one hand method)

Anyhoo, now you have me anxious. I hope my replacement light doesn't display the same symptoms or back it goes with appropriate comments, suggestions and refund request on FLUSA's Testing and Evaluation mail-in form.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have a suspicion that the next one will be the same.
It looks like the interface requires the presses to be within a certain time limit, to fast is ignore, to slow will not change color.

For me it works perfect, I did not even notice the timing restriction before your wrote about it. but this will be very depend on the the user, I am just lucky it that the my timing fits the light so well, others may have to train a bit to get it right.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Im still debating on getting the strobe version or the LE version. I like that I can hook the LE version on my butt and it flashes blue and red, but the strobe version has a larger reflector because it doesnt need to fit the other LEDs. Im thinking that the larger reflector would make it throw a lot better, or at least work better at medium distances.
Does anyone have both to compare? Does anyone know how big the reflector of the multi color versions are?
Am i making mountains out of ant hills?

SnWnMe

Enlightened
I have a suspicion that the next one will be the same.
It looks like the interface requires the presses to be within a certain time limit, to fast is ignore, to slow will not change color.

For me it works perfect, I did not even notice the timing restriction before your wrote about it. but this will be very depend on the the user, I am just lucky it that the my timing fits the light so well, others may have to train a bit to get it right.

I just got an email back from FLUSA and indeed there is nothing wrong with the light and it was just my style of clicking on the buttons that was the issue.

Too bad. It was a nice light and I woulda loved to keep it but I can't be the one adapting to it.:shrug:

dougie

Enlightened
I've actually developed a real soft spot for my Tomahawk and it rates amongst one of my most favourite lights. I agree that the interface does sometimes catch me out but it isn't a big deal for me. However, I can understand how it could be an irritation for some. 'If' I have an issue at all it is that in some situations the barrel of the light will untwist and become loose. I think it could have been avoided by using a different system to lock the clip to the bezel but that would have made a simple design more complicated and more expensive so I have learnt to accommodate it as is.:D

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I should have my TH LE on Monday. I have a Liberator here to compare the throw with, as I am pretty sure both have the same head, just with the different reflector. I know the Liberator has some very impressive throw. Throws better than a SF E2D LED.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the standard version of this light without the multicolored LED's, as I have no use for them, and I love this light! :twothumbs The 120 lumen rating on it seems pretty accurate, and it is made as well as any other light I have, including my Surefires and Wolfeyes! It is also different than the same old same old! I got it as a birthday gift to myself last June!:laughing:

Mike

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
I only have the LE model, so I cannot compare. But the overall output of the lights should be about the same. The beam pattern will be somewhat different because of the reflector size, however. Obviously, if you don't need alternate colors or safety strobe, you would want the plain (LP, GP or ST) versions.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I only have the LE model, so I cannot compare. But the overall output of the lights should be about the same. The beam pattern will be somewhat different because of the reflector size, however. Obviously, if you don't need alternate colors or safety strobe, you would want the plain (LP, GP or ST) versions.

Thats what im debating. I was thinking that the blue and red and white strobe would be perfect to clip onto my back pocket when im doing something out of my car in traffic. Its odd that they charge a lot more for that LE strobe effect. I guess the programming has to be paid for though.
I have the same problem with the new inova lights. Do i get the multicolor version or the regular? Sounds like if i wanted multi color though the inova would be more ideal since you have more color options.

SlightlyDim

Newly Enlightened
I just got an email back from FLUSA and indeed there is nothing wrong with the light and it was just my style of clicking on the buttons that was the issue.

Too bad. It was a nice light and I woulda loved to keep it but I can't be the one adapting to it.:shrug:

I actually like this interface and hope it doesn't change - one click tells you what it's currently set to, but a double-click is needed to change it (can't accidently switch colours). Also easy to scroll through by rapid-clicking.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my LE arrived today. The batteries were dead and the light is scratched up on the head and battery tube cap. Not exactly thrilled with this.
I find the UI very easy to learn. It didn't take much time at all before gettig it down.
I noticed that three of the blue leds stay on and gradually dim after the light is turned off. Kind of odd.
The beam pattern is tighter than the Liberator and I should be able to confirm that the throw is better or equal to the Liberator tonight.

Will report back tomorrow.