looking for a super long throwing LED flashlight

fire-stick

Enlightened
I was thinking something like a tiablo A8... Something about 6-9 inches long that runs on rechargeables and has a very wide deep reflector for super long throw and high lux..

Whats the best one..? (highest lux longest throw)

mechBgon

Enlightened
For an off-the-shelf flashlight with one emitter, look into the Dereelight DBS V2 with one of the 1.2-amp pills running on an 18650 battery.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think the Tiablo A8 is being made now, it was replaced by the A9 and that has stopped being made as well. DX are selling a "Tiablo A9" but it has been reported as being a fake :( Try building your own aspherical lens Mag, that will give you plenty of throw :D

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are differences in opinion on whether the Aurora WF-600 out-throws the DBS but not owning a DBS i cannot comment, i can testify that the Aurora DOES throw very well and it's a budget light too.

I have 2 x 3.6v protected RCR123s in it and am very pleased with its performance. It's available on DX and it can run on 18650s as well.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a reflectored light the furthest thrower is the Dereelight DBS v2 with a 1.2A pill (1S or 3SD). No doubt about it - this is the brightest.

However, LEDs with an aspheric lens can throw further. Downside is that they are larger and the beam is a projection of the LED - ie a square with lines across it etc., and no spill. Of the aspherics, Saabluster's DEFT is the furthest throwing.

I would recommend the DBS. Why? 1) the throw is tremendous. I highly doubt you will ever want more once you own it. 2) Body. It is smaller, and more of a duty flashlight, whereas with an aspheric you have a larger light, bulky lens, etc. 3) (edit - runtime for the DBS is actually worse, because the DEFT uses batteries with a larger capacity), and 4) if you want modes, the DBS has that option, while the DEFT does not.

But that's just my opinion :) . If throw is all you care about, it's the DEFT by a huge margin.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
3) runtime. the DBS is driven at 1.2A, while the DEFT is driven at around 2A. Besides runtime, this is also worse for the LED (although no too bad because Saabluster deals with this problem very well). and 4) if you want modes, the DBS has that option, while the DEFT does not.

But that's just my opinion :) . If throw is all you care about, it's the DEFT by a huge margin.
Just for clarification the DEFT driver regulates in between 1.5 and 1.6mA and the runtime is actually slightly longer than the DBS when run on e2/ultimate lithium. The Cree is not being stressed at all with the way it is set up. I used to solder them down but am now using a very highly conductive epoxy(thermal conductivity of 60 W/m°K). If someone is trying to figure out which one to get between the DBS and the DEFT I would say if you want something that could be put in a pants-leg pocket the DBS is the way to go. If that is not a concern and you just need the most throw go with the DEFT.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DBS is a really nice light, you can't go wrong with it.
But for those of us a bit more addicted... the DEFT is being produced to quench our throw thirst.
:grin2:

fire-stick

Enlightened
For a reflectored light the furthest thrower is the Dereelight DBS v2 with a 1.2A pill (1S or 3SD). No doubt about it - this is the brightest.

should i upgrade to the R2?

does the DBS V2 (3SD) come with batts and a charger

is the dreelight batts and charger system good or should i get a diff one

does the DBS V2 (3SD) use non rechargeables

is the only diff. in the DBS V2 (3SD) and the DBS V2 (1S) the diff. modes?

sorry about all the questions.. it's just that im really thinking about dropping some serious dough on a flashlight...

Last edited:

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Deree DBS does not come with batteries. You need 18650's and a charger. It uses only 1 battery and is only 6 inches long. Plus you can upgrade when they develop a brighter LED without buying a new flashlight.

mechBgon

Enlightened
should i upgrade to the R2?

Yeah.

does the DBS V2 (3SD) come with batts and a charger

is the dreelight batts and charger system good or should i get a diff one

does the DBS V2 (3SD) use non rechargeables

It doesn't come with batteries or charger. It must be used with 18650 rechargeables. One good battery is the AW 18650s that you can find at 4Sevens.com, and the charger he carries is OK too.

is the only diff. in the DBS V2 (3SD) and the DBS V2 (1S) the diff. modes?

Supposedly. I started with the 3SD, and then got 1S, and I like 1S better. I always want 100% output anyway, and my 3SD pill was acting a little wacky too.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, you might want to check out Neoseikan's Legion II. It uses a P7- 3/18650's and has a reflector designed for throw. Should be a great light. It is coming out shortly after the Spartanian II.:popcorn:

fire-stick

Enlightened
One good battery is the AW 18650s that you can find at 4Sevens.com, and the charger he carries is OK too.

Oh yea forgot to mention i got the aw cells you mentioned along with the charger.. thanks

and also, I got so buzzed about the throw of this light I forgot that the R2's are also VERY bright as far as total output goes...

How many lumens can be expected from this light with the R2 at 1.2 amps..

artec540

Enlightened
there are differences in opinion on whether the Aurora WF-600 out-throws the DBS but not owning a DBS i cannot comment, i can testify that the Aurora DOES throw very well and it's a budget light too.

I have 2 x 3.6v protected RCR123s in it and am very pleased with its performance. It's available on DX and it can run on 18650s as well.

Not owning an Aurora, I can't compare either, but I can tell you that the DBS out-throws the Tiablo A 9 (which I do have) and I think the DBS is unlikely to be beaten by much, if anything. I'll have a look at the Aurora and if I can afford it, I might get one if only for the sake of comparison. I also have an MRV sidekick and a Raidfire Spear, and while they are both excellent lights, the DBS out-throws them both. It's not cheap but I think it's worth every penny.

What else is there in contention that is about the same size? Or indeed, what else is there in contention except some form of HID?

I don't get any commission for selling DBS, by the way!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the DBS is unlikely to be beaten by much, if anything. ....... Or indeed, what else is there in contention except some form of HID?
Just have to set the record straight. You would have to buy probably 6 or 7 DBSs to match the DEFT in throw. Its not even slightly close.