Wolf Eyes Superstorm - 1300 lumens

Glen C

Enlightened
Wolf Eyes have released a new 7 LED flashlight which I thought may be of interest to some here.

Just released so no tests or beamshots yet.

A pic:
superstormwolfeyescomaujb1.jpg

A few details here: http://wolfeyes.com.au/news/ with an extra pic, will update everyone here as more details come to hand

1996alnl

Enlightened
Excuse my ignorant but why is it Wolf Eyes torches are costly compare to other torches?

Don't own one,if these are made in Australia i could see the reason for the high prices if their not than they'd better be twice the quality of the Surefires. Somehow i don't think so.

Take care

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Excuse my ignorant but why is it Wolf Eyes torches are costly compare to other torches?
Don't own one,if these are made in Australia i could see the reason for the high prices if their not than they'd better be twice the quality of the Surefires. Somehow i don't think so. Take care
I don't mean to continue with the off topic posts but just want to rectify your ignorance. You need to compare apples with apples, be aware Glen's site is an Australian site, so for buyers OS i have no doubt they might look a little expensive, but compared to what SF's are worth in Australia, they are a bargain.

A more appropriate comparison would be between two US sites,
a Xenon Sniper from PTS - $35 ,
a Xenon Surefire 6P from Brightguy - $62.
So by your anology they only need to be just over half the quality, which they certainly exceed.

Back on topic, I was just thinking I wonder if Wolf Eyes were coming up with anything new. I can't see this light being cheap though considering the cost of the Storm already. Glen any news on emitters being used?

Last edited:

Yapo

Enlightened
I believe they're made in china but i hear their quality is top notch...but as Glen's store is in Australia and the AU$ has been dropping, the price of everything that's being paid for in US$ will be affected...As mentioned in the link Glen provided.

Edit: lol you beat me to it Keeper!

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
If you don't own any then its hard to explain but I'll give it a whirl. I own some SF products and yes they are well made but I also had my share of trouble with SF products when they first came out. Now After having been on this forum for the past several months and reading a lot about various lights I decided to try WE from Pacific Tactical here in the U.S.
Mike at PTS is a great guy to do buisness with and has always offered his guidance and thoughts on the various lights. Having been a former LEO and still having a lot of friends who are LEOs that in many cases have to pay for some of their own equipment like I did , you have a tendency to look for reliable products that can get the job done and not break your bank book.
I own several of the WE lights and have supplied friends with WE lights.
The two things I can say about them is that their build quality is on par with many of the SF products in terms of durability, fit and finish. The next thing I like is that the lights are more versatile than many of the SF products. SF sets their lights up to run on primaries only whereas WE gives the option of going rechargeables or primaries within the same light with nothing more than a change in lamp modules. For example I have an M4 from SF that only takes 4 cr123 batts. Whereas the WE Rattlesnake will take primaries or two 18650 Li/Ion Batts. The M4 is 330.00 and the Rattlesnake with rechargeables and a charger is about 120.00. Big differance in cost and puts the WE more in my price range and the price range of my brethen. I just recently got a WE raider with a 200 lumen incan bulb for a fellow LEO whose former light was a Streamlight Stinger. Now he has a package that is smaller and far better output than his Stinger and its rechargeable. It makes a better tactical light to use with his firearm as its more ergonomically friendly than the Stinger.
So give them a try. You will not be disappointed.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not impressed with a unit with 7 shallow reflectors. I am sure it will be a decent flood light but I would be more impressed if they did this with just one P7 and put a proper deep reflector on it to give it an optimum combination of throw to smooth spill put out a 1000 lumens and could run for 2 full hours.

looman

Enlightened
I am not impressed with a unit with 7 shallow reflectors. I am sure it will be a decent flood light but I would be more impressed if they did this with just one P7 and put a proper deep reflector on it to give it an optimum combination of throw to smooth spill put out a 1000 lumens and could run for 2 full hours.

I think the P7 is inclined to doughnut if in a thrower reflector and it seems to be good for flood not throw.

A P7 doesnt push out 1000 lumen 650 is more realistic and 2 hours will be a push though the modded one I have is long lasting and doesnt get hot quick either.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I don't think MrG meant what he stated with regards to total output. I think he was just talking about the concept with relation to the packaging of the light, which I tend to agree with.

The P7 needs a large reflector and this light has the head dimension to take advantage of a reflector that size. It also has the battery capacity to power the P7 at full output for a long time. There wouldn't be any thermal issues for a light this size either.

DigitalGreaseMonkey

Newly Enlightened

Interesting, I have two lesser lights that fall directly into this hypothetical discussion, you may have seen the Solarforce comparison thread a while back. To recap, the L900 is a very large deep reflector with P7. I am assuming it is not putting out the theoretical maximum, most likely in the 600 lumen range or thereabouts. The T700 is a 3 cree Q5 light with shallow reflectors that out throws the L900 by good margin, due to more concentrated hot spot. Do not underestimate the power of a good small reflector.

Now, in a totally dark environment I really prefer the silky smooth beam and huge ball of light that comes from the L900, useful throw out past 500ft in dark conditions. In parking lots with nasty overhead lights and poorly shielded ground lights, the T700 is by far the better choice for penetrating dazzle at good throw distances.

Personally, I am quite interested in the Super Storm IF they got the reflectors right and IF they got the output right. Unfortunately it only has seven emitters, I was hopeful for a light with nine emitters in order to get my preference for triple the power. A simple doubling of output is not necessarily going to be a satisfying jump in performance. Lots of variables here, but perhaps the combination of output and reflector will be a winning combination, perhaps not.

My own experiments with three lights of almost identical power show that double is not really enough in my book, triple the output does the trick for me for a satisfying boost in performance.

Best regards,
DGM

DigitalGreaseMonkey

Newly Enlightened
I think the P7 is inclined to doughnut if in a thrower reflector and it seems to be good for flood not throw.

A P7 doesnt push out 1000 lumen 650 is more realistic and 2 hours will be a push though the modded one I have is long lasting and doesnt get hot quick either.

My only experience with a thrower reflector and a P7 is the L900, no donuts. At all. At any distance. (6 inches to 600 ft.) The L900 is a three 18650 light and claims 2.5 hours, but I have not pushed it that hard yet. 600 lumens seems about right for its output.

Best regards,
DGM

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think MrG meant what he stated with regards to total output. I think he was just talking about the concept with relation to the packaging of the light, which I tend to agree with.

The P7 needs a large reflector and this light has the head dimension to take advantage of a reflector that size. It also has the battery capacity to power the P7 at full output for a long time. There wouldn't be any thermal issues for a light this size either.

You get bonus points today. :thumbsup:

Given the right reflector you can make any point light source look good. they make HID lamps with great throw, some with variable focus beams, like the Wolf Eyes Boxer.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey I like the looks of that. Wolf eyes products are very very nice in my experience with them, and I've gotten to play with just about everything they make. I don't know how anyone can complain that this light is expensive when there are few other lights to compare to this one. A custom job, unless you're building it yourself, will cost you more. I can't think of any other production light on the market like this yet. FoxFury has a 9 cree light I think... check out the price on that!

About the small reflectors, I wouldn't worry. I have a 5xSSC Magmod from Elektrolumens and it is very nice. The beautiful flood makes it one of the most useful lights I have. It puts out so much light that it throws decently well anyway. The Storm Q5 did beat it in throw when I compared my 5xSSC mag to Mike@PTS's Storm, but it wasn't by that much. I think this could be a very nice light!

Thanks for the preview Glen C! :twothumbs

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic

I've always considered WE to be a bargain manufacturer. In many cases a person would have to go to a DX light to find something less expensive although not nearly the same quality. I have a lot of respect for WE products and the price they can offer them for.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey I like the looks of that. Wolf eyes products are very very nice in my experience with them, and I've gotten to play with just about everything they make. I don't know how anyone can complain that this light is expensive when there are few other lights to compare to this one. A custom job, unless you're building it yourself, will cost you more. I can't think of any other production light on the market like this yet. FoxFury has a 9 cree light I think... check out the price on that!

About the small reflectors, I wouldn't worry. I have a 5xSSC Magmod from Elektrolumens and it is very nice. The beautiful flood makes it one of the most useful lights I have. It puts out so much light that it throws decently well anyway. The Storm Q5 did beat it in throw when I compared my 5xSSC mag to Mike@PTS's Storm, but it wasn't by that much. I think this could be a very nice light!

Thanks for the preview Glen C! :twothumbs

Try wiseled.com - I have a tactical 1500 and they are water proof to 300' and they really shine hard - they are not cheap but I feel you get what you pay for - they are also bringing out a new set of modular lights (the battery pack is detachable) that go up to 1500 lumens very soon. :twothumbs

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, yes I didn't think of the WiseLED; however they've had a tendency to overheat in the past, have they fixed that yet? And of course a WiseLED is about the same cost s a custom light.