EMT needs help choosing a headlamp

EMT40SW

Newly Enlightened
As my username implies I am an EMT and I am looking for a headlamp that will be used occationally for search & rescue type missions. It will be backed up by a Surefire 6P, but I am looking for a headlamp to allow enough light to allow me to hike safely. It might serve double duty as a task light once I am at a patient to start IVs, splint ect. but this is not a requirement. My budget is preferably under $50 with some $25 options. I found this, but am open to any suggestions. I am a complete rookie on headlamps so I have no parameters on batteries or bulb type, just suggest the most mission oriented tool for the budget:

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_Trident_UL_Headlamp.php

Thank you in advanced.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
I had a Trident for a while at work until it was stolen,a good headlamp, but I really like the Princeton Tec Eos and their Eos Work Light has numerous safety ratings/hazardous location ratings. Check them out at Brightguy and keep your eye on the lumens chart because their new offerings are rated at 50 vs 24-25 Lumens.

You can rip the Eos right off of your head and slip it in your pocket very easily. I have only tried the older lower output Eos versions but I hear, and have seen in reviews, that their beam quailty has greatly improved. There are many variations on the Eos headlamp and many of them have been examined in CPF. You might want to check an older thread or PM someone who has used the newer versions for some specifics. I have the Original and the Tactical Eos and they are great for hiking at the older lumen output so the softer brighter beam would probably make a great lamp even better.

Hope that this helps

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the new EOS. You'll need a light that doesn't dim on you when you need it the most since you'll be trying to save lives. The EOS is regulated so it doesn't dim for a while. When the batteries get low, it slowly dims so it doesn't leave you in the dark and gives warning that it's time to change the batteries. The EOS on medium is bright enough to comfortably hike at night. High is over twice as bright as medium (50 lumens). Medium with last 10 hours before dimming, 16 with lithiums. The l.e.d.s produce warm or neutral white light, not bluish light like the 5mm l.e.d.s in that one you left a link to. More natural white light will be better for finding and treating injured people. The Apex is a great light as well, but it's heavier, bulkier, and has a rear battery pack which is uncomfortable if you have to lay on your back.

yowzer

Enlightened
I use a Black Diamond Icon for night time SAR. The 3 watt cree led produces a huge amount of light with lots of throw, and it's significantly cheaper than other comparable lights. Still above your $50 point unless you find it on sale. For general night time hands-free hiking and scene illumination, probably any 3AAA-powered 1W LED headlamp will work fine: Mammut TXlite (Which I'm evaluating now as a general purpose headlamp), Princeton Tec EOS, Petzl Tikka XP, BD Spot...

Last edited:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am partial to LED lights, so I would recommend the following:

Princeton Tec APEX Pro (olive drab). Uses 2 CR123 batteries, has 3W Luxeon behind optic, and four 5mm white LED's. Nice versatile all around headlamp.

Princeton Tec EOS. This is a good bang-for-the-buck headlamp. It uses 3 AAA cells to drive a 1W Luxeon behind optic.

Streamlight Argo. It uses 3 AAA cells to drive a side emitter 1W Luxeon inside a large reflector.

Streamlight Argo HP. Uses 2 CR123 batteries, to drive a side emitter 1W Luxeon inside a large reflector.

All of these headlamps can be upgraded with a Seoul LED for a huge increase in performance (while retaining the same runtime). The intensity of the beam will increase, as well as the floodiness. Even the Princeton Tec headlamps which use an optic system will provide a good amount of side spill when using the Seoul LED.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with, or endorsing BrightGuy. They are simply having a sale on the items that you are looking for. However, BrightGuy does have a good reputation on CPF, and you found the BrightGuy site already. :D

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
datiLED, I believe that all those headlights you suggested have been up upgraded to more efficient and brighter l.e.d.s. That may be why those lights are on sale. They may be clearing out old stock. Why get an outdated light and upgrade it yourself, when you can buy it that way and not void the warranty?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
datiLED, I believe that all those headlights you suggested have been up upgraded to more efficient and brighter l.e.d.s. That may be why those lights are on sale. They may be clearing out old stock. Why get an outdated light and upgrade it yourself, when you can buy it that way and not void the warranty?

Because I can use a better quality LED, make sure that the heatsinking is sufficient and make a few other tweaks that the factory can't, or won't do. Considering the price of any of the headlamps mentioned above, it is worth it for me to void the warranty. :D

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because I can use a better quality LED, make sure that the heatsinking is sufficient and make a few other tweaks that the factory can't, or won't do. Considering the price of any of the headlamps mentioned above, it is worth it for me to void the warranty. :D

Point taken. If you have the expertize to mod the headlights correctly and can increase brightness well beyond what an out of the box light can put out, then good for you. It will definitely be worth the effort for you. However, the OP's question was his first post here at CPF. While I don't know if he has learned how to mod lights in advance or not, personally, I don't like to advise newcomers to CPF to mod or build their own lights from scratch. Especially, if that person is an EMT and practices search and rescue. I would think his time would be better spent saving lives. I can see where you're coming from though. The brighter the light, the easier the rescues will be. Most headlights underrun the l.e.d.s because heat builds up in plastic headlights. Headlight makers aren't willing to drive the l.e.d.s harder or add weight (and cost) with better heatsinking. Again, if you have the skills to mod the light yourself, then more power to you. Some people don't have the skills or time to do this themselves. Some people do. Then there's some people who will just put a couple Fenix P3D Q5s in the two loops of a Jakstrap and make a 400+ lumen headlight.

pec50

Enlightened
I like the Princeton Tec EOS for FF/EMT. I find the lower levels fine for patient work e.g. IVs. Although the older Lux-based version has served well, I would recommend the newest Rebel-based EOS with the multiple levels - three level. I believe Brightguy may have the newest version. I have also used the EOS for SAR - nice long runtime at medium level so I doubt you will need to deal with battery changes. The control is intuitive and easy to reach when gloved. Also easy to clean when BSI is an issue.

FF1, 2, Wildlands, EMT-P level, Wilderness (WUMP)

Last edited: