LED light in my drill

Albinoni

Banned
Not that long ago I bought a Makita drill and also a Makita Impact Driver. Both of these tools have a LED light in the front to help the user see incase drilling in dark sport, infact most of the high end drills today out there have LED lights for the aid of drilling.

Anyone here know what type/brand of LED light this would be.

Thanks

Marduke

Flashaholic
Not that long ago I bought a Makita drill and also a Makita Impact Driver. Both of these tools have a LED light in the front to help the user see incase drilling in dark sport, infact most of the high end drills today out there have LED lights for the aid of drilling.

Anyone here know what type/brand of LED light this would be.

Thanks

Probably 5mm's, but without a model number or a picture......

We are not psychic.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It's a little 5mm, probably Nichia. It just provides enough light for dark corners or inside of cabinets and such. My brother has a Makita with the light and I installed a security screen door with it. The LED was actually handy since it put the light right where you needed it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
like Marduke said... we can only guess without pictures. I am betting a 16-25kmcd 5mm white led or more as they are super cheap and a resistor for them would probably cost less than the trouble of installing them in the drill IMO. It is a nice feature and I bet in time a lot of drilless tools will have LEDs in them. I tend to use a headlamp when I am drilling stuff myself.

Illum

Flashaholic
I am under the impression that the built in LED is used only to compensate for light blocked by the drill body coming from either above or the side. Most likely designed for marketing purposes rather than something you can depend on as your sole illumination while drilling...even under ambient lighting.

Just like the light bulb on my Weller's iron...its functionality is only as instrumental as the second Allen nut on the solder tip:ohgeez:

now if they can mod a luxI or a SSC to the heatsink on the drill motor and duct the light out with light pipes to areas around the perimeter of the drill I think it might work very well. :)

mikel81, which Dremel model are you referring to, an LED collar was not of my knowledge for Dremel products:ohgeez::eek:oo:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just use a headlamp with a lux or better in it. I doubt they would put a high power LED in it that would probably require too much design and cost for now. a nickel for an led and the same cost for a resistor is nothing compared to several dollars for a high power LED and optics or reflectors and larger resistors or a regulator of some sort.

mikel81

Newly Enlightened
mikel81, which Dremel model are you referring to, an LED collar was not of my knowledge for Dremel products:ohgeez::eek:oo:

I don't know what to call it, but here are pics. The black ring that goes between the collet and the nut is a magnet. The LEDs are powered by the tool spinning the magnet.

IMGP4601.jpg

IMGP4602.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
what a gizmo.... no thanks... looks like 5mm LEDs and would be in the way for some things I would rather invest in a light on a flexible shaft I can position instead.

Illum

Flashaholic
I don't know what to call it, but here are pics. The black ring that goes between the collet and the nut is a magnet. The LEDs are powered by the tool spinning the magnet.

now thats ingenius, I was looking over my dremel and was wondering where can the "LED" collar possibly draw power from, but this is awesome :grin2:

Thanks for sharing:grin2: