HDS Systems        
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 84 of 84

Thread: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

  1. #61
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    1. Eagletac T100C2 clipped to my left cargo pocket.

    2. Surefire 300 on my Glock 21

    3. Surefire G2 on my M4.

    4. Surefire L1 as a backup light, usually with my SWAT kit.

    5. JetBeam JetII Pro in the trunk as a backup or loaner.

    6. Streamlight Sidewinder Helmet Light.

  2. #62
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    Quote Originally Posted by Delta1067 View Post
    1. Eagletac T100C2 clipped to my left cargo pocket.

    .

    What kind of a clip are you using with your T100C2? Is it the Eagletac two way clip? Thanks.

  3. #63
    Flashaholic* Search's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Tn
    Posts
    1,778

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    6P w/ NB R4 in holster
    E1B clipped to radio holster

    LX2 will replace one of them when it arrives. Not sure what I want to do yet.


  4. #64
    *Flashaholic* kaichu dento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    大和/Alyeska
    Posts
    6,029

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    Quote Originally Posted by Delta1067 View Post
    1. Eagletac T100C2 clipped to my left cargo pocket.

    2. Surefire 300 on my Glock 21

    3. Surefire G2 on my M4.

    4. Surefire L1 as a backup light, usually with my SWAT kit.

    5. JetBeam JetII Pro in the trunk as a backup or loaner.

    6. Streamlight Sidewinder Helmet Light.
    Wow, I can definitely not be a cop!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Plain clothes

    Novatac 120P on belt
    Milky Room Sweeper on belt
    Fenix LOD Leatherman pouch on belt also has Photon Freedon attached.
    Novatac 120 with an 18960 tube in mag pocket of 5.11 pants.
    Will sometimes throw a random light in a cargo pocket like a NDI or D10, but have stopped the D10 as sometimes it would turn on in my pocket.
    But maybe I could be a plain clothes detective!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightraven View Post
    All the time. But I have trained for 20 years (about 16 miles a week) to outrun people which helps compensate for the 24 pounds of gear I'm carrying.

    In my early days, I'd catch somebody and keep running them. "You like to run? So do I! Let's go. Keep running, go, go!" They'd want to stop, surrender, and catch their breath, and I'd keep pushing them to exhaustion--which keeps fights to a minimum. One of my coworkers supposedly used to give them a head start in a foot chase, catch up and run next to them.
    This is my favorite post of the whole thread! It kind of makes me proud to read that some of our real life cops are like this!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

  5. #65
    Flashaholic scott2907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    On my keyring which I attach to my vest I've got a red innova micro for map reading.

    On my belt I have a C3 5 mode soon to be replaced by a 4'7s Quark Tac AA. This sits right up to my gas holder so they take up the same room on my belt. This is my general light.

    Also on my belt (8 o'clock) a Surefire P60 host with Dereelight R2 SMO and AW 18650 for some throw for on spec searches.

    In my bag, a UF 500, with a LF HO-9 and two AW 2600 18650's, for searches that I have warning on.

    This is bare minimum as far as I'm concerned!

    Also, like someone else mentioned, I sometimes carry an X26, which has a torch/laser.

    Any idiot can manage a crisis. It's day to day living that wears you down.

  6. #66
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    I'm a border patrol agent, and have worked midnight shift for most of my career, and some of my coworkers think I'm overdoing it carrying 4 lights and a headlamp.

    -Main light on duty belt is SF AZ2-S.

    -Secondary on duty belt SF 6P bored, M2 bezel, mcclicky switch, with a sportac single mode CREE XP-L V5 "HI" Domeless cool white LED, amazing for spotting/scanning at far distances.

    -Headlamp, Petzl STRIX IR. The amount of time we spend hiking/tracking using NVG's, it gets a lot of continuous use.

    - backup #1in cargo pocket, led lenser F1 and 4 cell battery caddy.

    -backup #2 in camelback SF Z2 with Malkoff M61.

    I'm thankful we are supplied cr123's, because on average I burn through about 12-16 a week, and that would get expensive really fast.

  7. #67
    Flashaholic* Tac Gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bluegrass Region of KY
    Posts
    1,632

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    Quote Originally Posted by medic68wjoe View Post
    I'm a border patrol agent, and have worked midnight shift for most of my career, and some of my coworkers think I'm overdoing it carrying 4 lights and a headlamp.

    -Main light on duty belt is SF AZ2-S.

    -Secondary on duty belt SF 6P bored, M2 bezel, mcclicky switch, with a sportac single mode CREE XP-L V5 "HI" Domeless cool white LED, amazing for spotting/scanning at far distances.

    -Headlamp, Petzl STRIX IR. The amount of time we spend hiking/tracking using NVG's, it gets a lot of continuous use.

    - backup #1in cargo pocket, led lenser F1 and 4 cell battery caddy.

    -backup #2 in camelback SF Z2 with Malkoff M61.

    I'm thankful we are supplied cr123's, because on average I burn through about 12-16 a week, and that would get expensive really fast.
    I understand you are supplied the batteries and can't blame ya for using them but sounds like you might be better off with some rechargeable cells and a good charger.
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

  8. #68
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    I definitely agree with you, the more I'm learning from all the information on this forum, I really can't see any reason not to use rechargeable cells. Longer run times, more lumens and it's definitely more environmentally friendly than dropping off a handful of spent 123's into the recycling bin every morning. I got some advice on how to bore out my 6P for an 18650 and got that done. And this morning I just scored a Leef C-C body that takes 2x18500's, so now I just have to figure out the preferred cells that I need to use for my drop in's

  9. #69
    Flashaholic* Tac Gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bluegrass Region of KY
    Posts
    1,632

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    Quote Originally Posted by medic68wjoe View Post
    I definitely agree with you, the more I'm learning from all the information on this forum, I really can't see any reason not to use rechargeable cells. Longer run times, more lumens and it's definitely more environmentally friendly than dropping off a handful of spent 123's into the recycling bin every morning. I got some advice on how to bore out my 6P for an 18650 and got that done. And this morning I just scored a Leef C-C body that takes 2x18500's, so now I just have to figure out the preferred cells that I need to use for my drop in's
    http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index....ory&path=59_88
    http://www.illumn.com/batteries-char...ttery_size=292

    Any of the 18650s on those websites will be just fine. I would go with the highest mah for the most runtime and a protected cell to prevent over discharging of the battery and causing potential damage to the battery. The only downside is there is no warning when the voltage is getting low and the light will just shut off. Unprotected cells will not do that but they are also more susceptible to being over discharged and damaged. Sorry if already knew all of that, just thought I would put it out there to be I the safe side. Have you read the stickied thread I the battery forum about how to use lithium batteries safely?
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

  10. #70
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    I didn't know the difference between protected and un. I'm reading through some of the battery threads right now and I appreciate any good advice I can get for sure! I'm definitely still in the crawl phase of learning about all this and everyone here has been awesome and very helpful. Just recommending a retail site is golden info, cause 10 minutes ago I was looking at Amazon, and getting confused as hell

  11. #71
    *Flashaholic* Str8stroke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    On The Black Pearl
    Posts
    5,036

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    Wow, y'all revived a thread that was in hospice.
    Just reading some of the old posts are interesting.

    Medic, hearing your light usage and battery waste makes me cringe too. lol
    While you are on the Mtn Electronics site, I would look at adding a light like the Maxtoch M24 Sniper to your belt. It is a very affordable thrower. Dedomed it is awesome light. It comes with a belt holster and is very comfortable to carry. The holster is flexible and you can position it on your belt where you can get in and out of the truck. It is about the same length as say a 2 D mag, but runs on two 18650s. You could get a charger like the Nitecore I2 and use the 12 volt adaptor and keep Four quality 18650s and cycle them around. Or I would probably buy the Xstar VP2 charger. It has USB output too. That way you can charge your cell phone too.

    Because of what you do for a living (and I appreciate what you do): If you get a 18650, or just need some batteries, I would be more than happy to send you few 18650 laptop pulls FREE OF CHARGE! They are still in pretty good condition and have decent life left in them. They make great first use cells. Meaning, load them in your light when you head out, use them to search and make them take all the work and abuse. Then when they run down, or you have a situation you can swap them out for a set of new freshly charged cells. Make sense? This way you don't have to half cycle or abuse your new cells and always have new Fresh cells on the ready. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!


  12. #72
    Flashaholic* Tac Gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bluegrass Region of KY
    Posts
    1,632

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    Quote Originally Posted by Str8stroke View Post
    Wow, y'all revived a thread that was in hospice.
    Just reading some of the old posts are interesting.

    Medic, hearing your light usage and battery waste makes me cringe too. lol
    While you are on the Mtn Electronics site, I would look at adding a light like the Maxtoch M24 Sniper to your belt. It is a very affordable thrower. Dedomed it is awesome light. It comes with a belt holster and is very comfortable to carry. The holster is flexible and you can position it on your belt where you can get in and out of the truck. It is about the same length as say a 2 D mag, but runs on two 18650s. You could get a charger like the Nitecore I2 and use the 12 volt adaptor and keep Four quality 18650s and cycle them around. Or I would probably buy the Xstar VP2 charger. It has USB output too. That way you can charge your cell phone too.

    Because of what you do for a living (and I appreciate what you do): If you get a 18650, or just need some batteries, I would be more than happy to send you few 18650 laptop pulls FREE OF CHARGE! They are still in pretty good condition and have decent life left in them. They make great first use cells. Meaning, load them in your light when you head out, use them to search and make them take all the work and abuse. Then when they run down, or you have a situation you can swap them out for a set of new freshly charged cells. Make sense? This way you don't have to half cycle or abuse your new cells and always have new Fresh cells on the ready. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
    Great suggestions and a wonderful offer!

    Medic here is a battery thread that's a must read
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...hlights-safely
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

  13. #73
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    Str8stroke that's really cool of you to do that for me, I'll pm you cause I know having some beater cells will help a lot and that beast of a light you recommended is definitely on my short list for a tricky bag search light.

  14. #74
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mountains, VA
    Posts
    2,362

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    Medic,

    Since you're all ready carrying a Camelback, have you given any thoughts of possibly carrying a Surefire Hellfighter and powering it with a BB2590 lithium battery?

    I've put kits together with Hellfighter, the cable and two of the BB2590 batteries. I get over three hours of 3000 lumen light with a good 500 plus yards of brightness.

    I wouldn't purchase a new light, but used Hellfighters can be had for around $450, the cable for another $50 and batteries for $70 each. It's a fair amount of money for a light system, but you won't find a light that can provide the illumination of the Hellfighter and still be portable and run from battery.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

  15. #75
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    Tac Gunner I just got through reading the battery safety link and it's definitely a mandatory read for a noob like me and an excellent place to start. You guys pointing me in the right direction is saving me so much time instead of just bouncing around letting my ADHD decide what's next on the reading list.

  16. #76
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    The hellfire is a good idea in theory but I wouldn't get much use for what I do. Mostly tracking groups down using NVG's and light discipline, and if everything goes right they're apprehended not even knowing they were followed. The lights come out looking for stragglers and any goodies they might have tried to hide. And then our lights come on to walk everyone out safely to the trucks, so they don't hurt themselves running into a cholla cactus or off the trail. Usually the helicopters searchlight is WAY to much for the first 10 minutes or so cause everyone's eyes were adjusted to the dark and then they come dilate our pupils with their sunspot light.

  17. #77
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    639

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    Quote Originally Posted by medic68wjoe View Post
    Str8stroke that's really cool of you to do that for me, I'll pm you cause I know having some beater cells will help a lot and that beast of a light you recommended is definitely on my short list for a tricky bag search light.
    When you do your battery research, keep in mind these are unprotected cells. Nothing wrong with that, but just be aware. I use this type of battery all the time, but these are best used in one cell flashlights IMO.

  18. #78
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mountains, VA
    Posts
    2,362

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    Quote Originally Posted by medic68wjoe View Post
    The hellfire is a good idea in theory but I wouldn't get much use for what I do. Mostly tracking groups down using NVG's and light discipline, and if everything goes right they're apprehended not even knowing they were followed. The lights come out looking for stragglers and any goodies they might have tried to hide.
    The Hellfighter has the IR filter that allows it to act as a thrower for the NVG's. Any chance at borrowing one from another government unit? You might be surprised at how useful they are.

    All too aware of carrying a lot of gear, as I usually carry way too much stuff in my truck. When I need it' it''s there.

    Getting reliable duty lights and having the ability to feed them all the same battery is a good thing. The laptop battery pullouts should give good run times. Also a USB powered charger you can use in your truck plugged into the cigarette lighter could be handy.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

  19. #79
    Flashaholic* Tac Gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bluegrass Region of KY
    Posts
    1,632

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    You're welcome. I'm thinking based on your usage the only other light I would add is a dedicated thrower such as the M24, Olight M3XS-UT, Olight M2X-UT, or Acebeam T20.
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

  20. #80

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    Wow. I answered this thread 12 years ago and it's still going...

    Well things have changed a bit.

    SF X300U-B (1000) on my G17 and Benelli M4

    Klarus XT21X on my vest

    SF EDCLT2 in a cargo pants slot

    Spare Klarus XT21X in my go bag

    I have a new Nitecore TM9K I want to use but worried about runtime and freaking people out with 10K lumens, even for a few seconds.

    Dennis.




    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

  21. #81
    Enlightened chainsolid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    I talk with cop in Thailand,
    He have SIG SP320 and Streamlight TRL-7
    and Surefire 6P change P60 to LED,
    Some COP use Fenix PD35 TAC
    I Love King Bhumibol Adulyadej
    Your forever follower & Always Our Beloved King.

  22. #82
    Enlightened The Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    I retired from law enforcement in 2008. I carried a 4 D cell mag light in a ring on my duty belt as well as a 2AA mag light in my pants pocket. Things sure have changed since I retired. Who knows what I would be carrying now, but it sure would put out more light than I had back then.

  23. #83

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    Paramedic not police, well Iím in ER now but when I was on the road I carried a AAA keychain light (fenix L0Dce) and a 1xCR123 light in my back pocket.

  24. #84

    Default Re: POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

    Since this Necro thread has been brought back to life I figure I may as well comment.

    I am a city cop and have always carried 2 lights on my person at all times, which kind they are varied. I have always been a flashaholic but not with serious lights, Costco specials and maglite was my go to but now I have gotten more serious with my flashlight game in the last few months.

    Since getting seriously addicted to this hobby, the one light that is always being carried is the Malkoff MD2HOT and the secondary light is subject to change at the moment. I also generally will have a larger flashlight in my duty bag if I have to do any sort of outdoor search for any extended period of time.

    The last agency I worked for issued the Streamlight Scorpion LED and that was my first forray into a "real" flashlight besides the Fenix E11 that I carried before that.

    Around here, the cop light of choice when officers spend their own money on a flashlight is not a Surefire or a Streamlight, but seems to be a Fenix PD 35 V2.0 or PD35 Tac.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •