Looking to improve the output of my Task Force

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I own the 150 lumen 2C Task Force CREE from Lowes, and I want it to be brighter with more throw.

My question is: Its barrel will accommodate 8 AAA batteries, and I was wondering since this will drive the emitter at a much higher voltage, will this make it a lot brighter, or will this burn it out? What battery modification is safe and won't damage it but still make it brighter?

Thanks for any help, and if there is already a thread on how to do this, then please give me a link to it so this one can be closed.:)

Marduke

Flashaholic
Swap the star for one with a Q5, and/or run the light off a single Li-Ion cell such as an 18650.

6xAAA will let the magic smoke out.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Swap the star for one with a Q5, and/or run the light off a single Li-Ion cell such as an 18650.

6xAAA will let the magic smoke out.

Thank you for the fast reply Marduke.:thumbsup:

That is good to know that even 6xAAA will burn out the emitter, could I try 4xAAA?

Also, where can I get a 18650 Lithium Ion cell?

Thanks!

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I forgot to mention that the batteries I am using are rechargeable 1.2V NIMH AAA cells, so using 4 would drive it at only 4.8V rather than 6V.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
4.8 may kill it but it might not. I am not sure.

Solder in an R2 and/or run a 18650 cell in there. For free shipping get the 18650 cell from 4sevens, don't forget the charger.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
4.8 may kill it but it might not. I am not sure.

Solder in an R2 and/or run a 18650 cell in there. For free shipping get the 18650 cell from 4sevens, don't forget the charger.

Thanks, I will consider the 3.6V 18650.:)

I have taped together all 4 AAA batteries and they fit perfectly into the Task Force's chamber, but I am still a bit afraid to try it.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Well I have run a regular AW 18650 in there and it is brighter.

HAs not appeared to have hurt anything either.

Go for it!

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 18650 in mine, definitely a very good thing to do. 4xaaa would be pretty pants IMO due to the low capacity of a AAA.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The task force should have a boost driver since it uses 2 C batteries, which don't have enough voltage to drive the LED at the level you see. Anything above the Vf of the LED(probably 3.5-3.7v) will make the driver go into direct drive or burn out depending on the driver.

Try a Q5(or R2) swap and use a single Li-ion battery like the 18650.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Its too bad theres no heat sinking in this light.... Imagine an R2-WC running at high current from a high output driver, and a pair of 18500 in series. That Fraen optic would REALLY throw out a beam from that. M60-Lumen levels out the front with more throw... assuming khatod optic efficiency is similar to the Fraen.
:D

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its too bad theres no heat sinking in this light.... Imagine an R2-WC running at high current from a high output driver, and a pair of 18500 in series. That Fraen optic would REALLY throw out a beam from that. M60-Lumen levels out the front with more throw... assuming khatod optic efficiency is similar to the Fraen.
:D

While the heatsink path admittedly isn't the best, it is definitely there. A bit of thermal epoxy will work wonders at holding everything together, and after doing a load of measurements with my multimeter I'm perfectly happy with the heatsinking- IIRC, there's a 15 to 20'C difference between the corner of the LED and the outside of the light once everything's stabilised.

tarponbill

Newly Enlightened
I have read that once you start down the modding road, you can never come back --- Engineers are normally curious critters as is.

Not really too familiar with this LED modding stuff, so bear with me ... Can you just solder in a Q5 or R2 star with no need for driver changes? Or does the TF boost driver circuit need modifying as well? I assume the R2 is the higher output CREE.

Has anyone done this, replace the star, and how much is the light output upped? Or is it all just a wasted cost and effort with minimum or no real gains. The light is pretty bright as it is.

It does look like improving the contact of the star board with the underlying aluminum would help the heat sinking -- I may just try some PC thermal heatsink compound to start.

I have already sleeved the light barrel and use Eneloops as the battery of choice, guilt free lumens I think it's called. I also tried Li AAs with good results.

After buying a few CREE lights, they sure seem to be the best for efficiency and output available, at least at B&M stores. This 2C TF light is just handy enough, plenty bright, and easy to stick in your pocket. My favorite light so far, second would have to be the Coleman 2AA MAX CREE.