Rechargeble ASP Tac-lite / Tec-Lite

ola larsson

Newly Enlightened
My question is where did the Rechargeble ASP Tac-lite / Tec-Lite go?

On some sites you can se a price of about 140$ for a rechargeble ASP Tec-lite.

But it seems that it is not "common" available so whats the story?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen or even heard of it. It sounds interesting, though...I like the Li taclite a lot...

--dan

brightnorm

Flashaholic
They are different lights. The Triad (nee Taclite) is the Taclite with the newer non-cylindrical bulb really the same light as before. I have not seen the Teclite, only heard references to it, but I can almost guarantee that if it matches (or even exceeds) the performance of the Taclite it will be larger and heavier.

Asp is a frustrating company because they make it difficult for customers to locate them or their products. They don't even have a website, except for an Australian pseudo site.
However, here is how to reach them, courtesy of the long lost and lamented Kogatana.
Where are you KT?

ASP (Armament Systems and Procedures, Inc)
Box 1794 Appleton, WI 54913
PHONE: 800-236-6243 Or: 920-735-6242
FAX: 800-236-8601 Or: 920-735-6245

Brightnorm

ola larsson

Newly Enlightened
Hmm Dano ... is Li Taclite the same as the Triad I or Triad II ?

Does ASP have any recgarable lights at all?

Seth

Newly Enlightened
ola,

Hmm Dano ... is Li Taclite the same as the Triad I or Triad II ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">to my knowledge the Triad I is the internal focus model ( the same as the original TacLite ), the Triad II is the external focus model.

Seth

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by ola larsson:
Yes sorry should have written Triad only ... You are right Seth
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ole,

In case you are not familiar with it, the Triad I (Internal focus Taclite with non-cylindrical Triad lamp)is unique among flashlights.

The internal focus is a set and forget feature. It will not inadvertantly de focus as can occur with the external focus model. Also, because all Taclites have smooth reflectors, they are less forgiving of "off-focus" settings than textured reflector lights like the Scorpion, or even half-textured lights (UltraStinger).

Another CPF member who swears by the Taclite(internal focus model)is a respected senior member with decades of professional experience with a variety of lights.

BTW, a GOOGLE search under TEK lite and variations on that name revealed nothing relevant.

Brightnorm

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow...old topic...I have an ASP catalog that had the rechargeable in it...I'm guessing it was never produced...I'm gonna look for the catalog...

--dan

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by dano:
Wow...old topic...I have an ASP catalog that had the rechargeable in it...I'm guessing it was never produced...I'm gonna look for the catalog..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oddly enough, I have a couple of new Triad bulbs (the teardrop version), and the insert in the package shows pictures of bulbs for the rechargeable models.

So, they were still thinking/planning rechargeables at least as late as the Taclite/Triad bulb change...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I found this topic while looking for another.

I spoke with ASP in early 2001. They decided not to build the rechargeable model. I don't think it would have sold well judging by the lack of popularity of the Surefire 6R.

ASP also was to make and market the high output bulb for the Taclite-over twice the output of the standard bulb for a 10-minute run time. This would have been a waste. I would have passed on this option as well.

With the teardrop shaped bulb and the internal focus model, ASP has the longest throwing, 2 CR123 lithium cell powered flashlight currently available. Interesting that ASP does not have a website and does little, if any, to advertise this product line. They rely on the efforts of their distributors and end users.

It is the one product that made me give up my Surefire 6P in 1997. I bought the Surefire M2 thinking it would replace it. It didn't.

The ASP Taclite remains as my top choice due to simple design, sensible ergonomics, clothing friendly contours, spare bulb carry withing the body of the light, and the only dedicated, 2 CR123 lithium battery carrier in existence. It provides everything I need in this category of flashlight. I carry it along with the Inova X5; the original model, not the fatter later model.