Brightest keychain light

Dazed

Newly Enlightened
I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered loads of times before. (Probably has.)

What's the bightest EDC/keychain flashlight available. I'm looking at the Fenix L0D that DX sells for $56. That must be a good price, right?

Ideally, candidates shouldn't cost (much) more than this and not be (much) bigger than a maglite Solitaire. It also needs to be plenty bright enough to use as a "walk out" light when/if my bike light breaks down in the forest at night.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

HKJ

Flashaholic
LiteFlux LF2X is brighter.
The lummi lights are also brighter.
And for a bigger light, check Dereelight C2H

But with all high performance lights, the problem is price and runtime. One to high the other to low.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You can get a shorter yet but slightly wider 180 lumens from a Fenix P1D (2.8 x 0.8 inches, $53): https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=354

Smaller yet, up to 200 lumens but with seriously compromised runtime and a specialty battery, the Lummi Raw (1.8 x 0.7 inches, ~$75): http://web.mac.com/Lummii/Lummi2/Raw_Al.html

As small as it gets, 100 lumens also with compromised runtime, but small enough to lose easily, the Lummi Wee (1.3 x 0.6 inches, ~$60): http://web.mac.com/Lummii/Lummi2/Wee_NS.html

The Fenix is the most pragmatic of the three, being multi-mode with good runtime and using a standard 123 battery, but if you've got to have the smallest possible flashlight, the Lummis can't be beat.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L0D-CE Q4 is $42.78 shipped from Fenix Store after using the 8% off coupon "CPF8". Batteryjunction's 5%(?) off coupon is "CPF2006".

The Liteflux LF2X might be another good choice. You can set the two output levels to what you need them to be.

Remember that at higher output you won't get much runtime even with rechargeable batteries.

:welcome:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Liteflux LF2X is brighter. It can put out at 50% what the L0D puts out at 100% due to its Q5.

Many people say it has a shorter runtime, but if you drop it down so it's putting out the same amount of light, the runtimes are essentially equal.

Go here and compare the two:

http://www.light-reviews.com/compare.html
The L0D CE in that review is the original P4, not the current Q4 model.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Liteflux LF2X is brighter. It can put out at 50% what the L0D puts out at 100% due to its Q5.

The LOD has a Q4 or better, so the difference is extremely small between a Q5. A Q5 is not twice the brightness as a Q4 bin. Efficiency wise they are about the same. Operation wise the LOD having a MUCH easier interface for a novice user, and comparable output using the same cells.

HKJ

Flashaholic
The LOD has a Q4 or better, so the difference is extremely small between a Q5. A Q5 is not twice the brightness as a Q4 bin. Efficiency wise they are about the same. Operation wise the LOD having a MUCH easier interface for a novice user, and comparable output using the same cells.

The keyword here is "the same cell", the LF2X is designed to also work with LiIon, where it has a higher output. The L0D can also be loaded with LiIon and will be very bright, but this is outside specification and might damage it.

I do not agree about the user interface, on the LF2X your turn it some for first level and a bit more for second level, that is a very easy user interface.
If your want access to all of its function also including programming, your are correct, it is a MUCH more difficult user interface

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Fenix LOD CE Q4 with a 10440 rechargable, runtimes are short if used at full power but if used in medium (about the same amount of light that a SF 6P puts out) then it should be good for a while, all lights mentioned here are good lights and would be fine for your application

Nemo

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The Draco must be a lot less than the last time I checked for it to be in the $56 range of interest stated by the OP.

I really want to get one if someone can show where to buy one for that price range.

Getting back to the original thread, Fenix L0D will be good choice and although I have no experience with it, it appears lots of happy owners with the Liteflux LF2X as well.

I've been happy enough with my L0D's to have actually given them to everyone in my family, several friends and I always have at least a couple spares on hand just in case I find someone needing something small enough to carry all the time that will actually put out some light, and yet be dimmable to preserve night vision.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
I'm partial to Peak lights, so I would suggest a Peak Baltic AAA in stainless steel with the P4 emitter. Rugged, reliable. $60

Last edited:

Bonky

Banned
Like I always say the only thing holding me back from an L0D is the 100Hz PWM. Bump it to 300+Hz and I'm all over it.

Bullwinkle

Newly Enlightened
having had the fenix lod q4 for a couple of months, running li ion rechargables I have to tell you this is one solid light, easy UI, and very powerful. I would purchase again in a heartbeat.