Is Sanyo Eneloop a Good AA?

Runangun

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I am new to the forum but have been reading alot of threads on the site.Because of the information on this site I just purchased 2 Fenix flashlights.(LD20,and PD30) I would like some help in determining a good quality AA rechargable battery. I am going to buy the AW RCR123A for the PD30 So any help with the AA would be great.
Thanks in advanced for your advice.
Tony

Kremer

Enlightened
You will get all positive replys and cannot go wrong with the Eneloop. I think I have about 50.

Your question should really be about where to find the best deal on them ;)

Last edited:

Runangun

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys,
Is there a website you would recommed to buy the Sanyo Eneloop and the AW RCR123A. I aready looked at 4Sevens.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound also sells AW RCR123s.

Thomas Distributing sells the Eneloops at a decent price.
You can also get them at Costco.

I don't think there are any "one stop shopping" sites that sell Eneloops and AWs cells.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
I use these on my Graphing calculator as well as my radios and they last alot longer then my other standard nihm rechargeables.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes...really.

Here are some criteria that can be used to judge NiMH cells:

1. Self-discharge -- how long will they hold a charge after charging?
  2. Consistency -- what is the variation between samples?
  3. Quality control -- how likely are you to find a dud?
  4. Durability -- how many charge cycles can you get without loss of performance?
  5. Robustness -- how much deliberate or accidental abuse can they take without failure?
  6. Power delivery -- how well does the voltage and capacity hold up under heavy loads?
  7. Capacity -- how much energy can they store?
When judged under all these categories taken together, Eneloops are possibly the best NiMH cells on the market today, bar none.

Egsise

Banned
Yes...really.

Here are some criteria that can be used to judge NiMH cells:

1. Self-discharge -- how long will they hold a charge after charging?
  2. Consistency -- what is the variation between samples?
  3. Quality control -- how likely are you to find a dud?
  4. Durability -- how many charge cycles can you get without loss of performance?
  5. Robustness -- how much deliberate or accidental abuse can they take without failure?
  6. Power delivery -- how well does the voltage and capacity hold up under heavy loads?
  7. Capacity -- how much energy can they store?
When judged under all these categories taken together, Eneloops are possibly the best NiMH cells on the market today, bar none.

You did notice those links did you?

Eneloops are not on top of those charts, so why eneloops are better than GP ReCyko for example?
You do have some comparison charts etc, not just a gut feeling, right?

odessit

Newly Enlightened
You may add to the list
8. Availability
9. Price

Mr. Happy's list is good, but the battery of choice depends on the weight factor you assign to each category.

Assuming each category is equal - Eneloop will probably win.
If you place more weight on "Capacity" and "Power Delivery" and less in other categories - a different battery may win.

Eneloop just happens to be the most tested & readily available battery on this board - thus all the raving about it. Really, the only limitation of Eneloop is capacity.

Here is the thread with performance data
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/149804

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You did notice those links did you?
Eneloops are not on top of those charts, so why eneloops are better than GP ReCyko for example?
You do have some comparison charts etc, not just a gut feeling, right?
Many of us have tested both Eneloops and other cells. When it comes to long term testing, Eneloops always seem to rise to the top. Charts like the ones you linked to don't always tell the whole story.

You may add to the list
8. Availability
9. Price

Mr. Happy's list is good, but the battery of choice depends on the weight factor you assign to each category.

Assuming each category is equal - Eneloop will probably win.
If you place more weight on "Capacity" and "Power Delivery" and less in other categories - a different battery may win.

Eneloop just happens to be the most tested & readily available battery on this board - thus all the raving about it. Really, the only limitation of Eneloop is capacity.
I don't know that Eneloops are the most readily available. Often they are hard to find in shops and have to be ordered on line, but I think finding them is worth it.

Egsise

Banned
GP ReCyko vs. Sanyo Eneloop comparison based on links&charts in this thread.

1. Self-discharge =ReCyko
  2. Consistency =Eneloop (not enough Recyko data available)
  3. Quality control =Eneloop (not enough Recyko data available)
  4. Durability =Eneloop (not enough Recyko data available)
  5. Robustness =Eneloop (not enough Recyko data available)
  6. Power delivery =ReCyko
  7. Capacity =Recyko
  8. Availability =post&packing is like 2$ so who cares?
  9. Price =if I want the best, do I care?

So the winner is Eneloop.
Riiight.

Egsise

Banned
GP ReCyko vs. Sanyo Eneloop comparison based on links&charts in this thread.

1. Self-discharge =ReCyko
  2. Consistency =Eneloop (not enough Recyko data available)
  3. Quality control =Eneloop (not enough Recyko data available)
  4. Durability =Eneloop (not enough Recyko data available)
  5. Robustness =Eneloop (not enough Recyko data available)
  6. Power delivery =ReCyko
  7. Capacity =Recyko
  8. Availability =post&packing is like 2$ so who cares?
  9. Price =if I want the best, do I care?

So the winner is Eneloop.
Riiight.

Correction to power delivery, under heavy load Eneloop wins, at 2A there is no big difference.

eneloopvsrecyko.gif

I guess with Fenix LD20 there is no difference between Sanyo, GP and even with Medion LSD cells?
Not to mention how important the charger is.

odessit

Newly Enlightened
If you have a decent charger or a battery tester - Get ReCyko and independently verify the findings. I am doing the same for Eneloop vs Sanyo 2700 just be cause I am tired of hearing "Regular NiMH will discharge in few days". Hopefully several other people will do the same test to have a decent sample base.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Egsise, I see you're new here, in that case, welcome to CPF!

May I just remind you that there's no need for sarcasm or any impoliteness when debating topics. It adds nothing to the arguments presented. CPF is a family friendly forum, and has a policy against trollish behaviour.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have sanyo batteries from 1999 that are still in use today so when another brand has been out there for 10 years and still going than I might consider them, until then sany is still tops for me.

Egsise

Banned
Egsise, I see you're new here, in that case, welcome to CPF!

May I just remind you that there's no need for sarcasm or any impoliteness when debating topics. It adds nothing to the arguments presented. CPF is a family friendly forum, and has a policy against trollish behaviour.

Yes you may remind, but..

Me? Trolling?! IMPOLITE?!

Now now, I had links and charts, and I even corrected myself when I studied the charts and found that I was wrong.

Some others just had a gut feeling and no any data to back their claims, now isn't that trolling?

If people just believe "facts" blindly and don't question them, sun would still be revolving around the earth.

Sorry for possible spamming/flooding/trolling and my bad english, this isn't my native language.

odessit

Newly Enlightened
I did not noticed impoliteness... more like passionate conversation... anyway... Egsise - where in Arctic Circle are you?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are only 2 maybe 3 factories that make LSD type cells. Sanyo in Japan and one or two factories in China.

All Japanese LSD cells are made by Sanyo and relabled. In which case just by the cheapest or easiest to aquire. There is quite a bit of indication that the Japan versions are better than the Chinese versions after a bit of use. There are a couple hundred threads on eneloop vs XX do a search.

As far as "the best" Nimh. That will always be an endless debate because different people put different emphasis on the 9 categories above. But yes Eneloops are very, very good batteries.