SECRET: New Fenix project ?

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there!

Just to share this impression with you guys...

My hobby is design, using computer programs to do that. Last week I "painted" a new Fenix light, built over a PD20.

Actually, I designed a new reflector. Something big, deep and smooth (not OP), anodized, slightly crenelated, with AR coated glass, that you can attach to your PD20, PD30, LD10 or LD20 light (because they all have the same reflector size). Just unscrew the original reflector and put this new one for get your pocket throw monster or to specifically throw duties.

So, I finished my design and sent it to Fenix.

This is the answer:

Hello LG

Thank you very much for your attention and appreciation to Fenix light.
We are especially grateful to you for your suggestion. I think it's the update of the PD20 if it comes out
(coincidence?). And your sketch map clearly presents your idea about the Deeper and larger new smooth reflector, the design seems professional and good. Thanks for your so good idea and your efforts.
I will forward your idea to our R&D department without hesitation for their reference. It will be noticed well.
Thanks again for your support and best regards!

Fenix Service Team

If I understand correctly, there will be update in the PD20 throw capacity?? :party:

Well, just to share this happening with you guys...

Take care!

LG

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the new features of the new (classic) line of Fenix lights is an improved reflector which has been mentioned as more throw oriented.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, but I´m not talking about this new models, like the LD20 (in comparison with the old L2D), but a brand new reflector.

Because, in my design, I made a BIG and DEEP smooth reflector. Something slightly longer than the EagleTac T10C reflector, for example, to attach in the regular PD20 to give it maximum throw.

So, it can be a brand new overall light, or just a BIG/DEEP reflector that you can buy to attach in your regular LD or PD series.

Well, it will be my dream pocket rocket.

Just waiting to have certain... hehe. :shrug:

If anything happens, then I´ll probably gonna get the T10C.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a PD20, and it already has good throw. If they "improve" it anymore, it may end up being a pinhole beam not very good for general use. I want a flashlight, not a laser beam.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can report the PD20 has an awesome improvement to throw and a deeper reflector. I don't think it's a pending change, it's here! :twothumbs

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sooo... Do we get to actually see a render of Federal LG's design at some point? ;) :poke:

Illum

Flashaholic
I think fenix is running way too fast in terms of turning out new lights. At this rate good lights will be discontinued before the readers of the community has the ability to do longevity testing and evaluation of them in field applications outside the labs.:D

I used to buy lights after so many reviews that has date stamps that crossed anywhere from a month to a year and associating opinions. Now most fenix lights have been positive on the reviews but I fear its only the initial response...it takes time to reveal the weaknesses of a light, and half a year isn't enough. :candle:

Frankly I'm not surprised that fenix is turning out a new light, but they won't have my name on the ordering lists:eek:

sappyg

Enlightened
i like the flood that i have with my fenix lights. i know others preffer throw and to each his own.
now, if fenix can make their lights more lego that is a big leap forward for them.
personally, i wish their lights weren't so smooth and slippery. while they are at it why not come out with a poly "plastic" type of chases/ hoste.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are they gonna just use your design without giving you any credit?

No, no...

Actually, it´s my design, but I realize that this situation looks like a coincidence. I had the idea, sent them the design, and they answered that e-mail for me.

Maybe it´s just a coincidence, I think. Or maybe not...

Anyway, I´ll gonna post the design here soon. :thumbsup:

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
What program did you use to simulate the photon behaviour (and thus seeing how well it actually works)? Not all will produce accurate results, the closest I've come across is using Max9 rendered with mental ray + ray traced enabled, apart from some other minor settings. Though not exactly like real life.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm reading their response right, they may have some talk, ideas or plans about an updated PD20 and not a sold by itself upgrade, but your idea of making it like that inspired them. That's just my take on it.

Personally I'd like to see a wall of light reflector on a 2 mode Fenix, like LG's idea (the swapping), but for the T series.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys... c´mon.

I´m NOT a light engineer, or something like that.
I know nothing about photon behaviour, or the engineering behind a flashlight construction.

As I said, I made the DESIGN, the primary idea, not the engineer job.
Just gave them the idea to build a larger and deeper smooth reflector, that can be attached to PD series, if you want more throw.

Just that...

Defloyd77 got the idea. :thumbsup:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Nice job, Federal LG !

:thumbsup:

Next, how about designing

an AA-cell version of Fenix E01.

:whistle:
_

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
Ah i see, so basically yours was just a concept design, so you can't really say that Fenix "borrowed" on your idea then. The term design is also used to have a working sample, not necessarily engineers do that. For example, product designer make the sample physical product, but product engineers don't :)

Bonky

Banned
As a lawyer I'm surprised they responded to your email. When I worked in the entertainment industry, every unsolicited script was shredded unopened so that nobody could come back and say the production company stole their idea and sue 'em.

I guess the Chinese don't have a lawsuit-based culture (yet).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the new features of the new (classic) line of Fenix lights is an improved reflector which has been mentioned as more throw oriented.
no critics to Your post, just to the way the maker is moving: they are no longer "classic", imho.
With their wider heads they also tend to move into the boring tactical section (makes them more difficult to pocket), is if there were not enough tactical models already.
More throw is also totally useless in the "classic" dept.
(and the brighter low is the last :( )

Hopefully they know what they do!
I was an early Fenix adaptor, boosted them heavly here in german bike forums (and much ppl bought them because of this).
But the features that have been asked for for long time now (LOW LOW, 18650 light like the classic P3D, less throw - bit more flood) have not been incorporated.

Bad, they have lost me definitly,
good there are comparable, better fitting, products.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I still have my hopes, but I'm also watching Dereelight and Jetbeam very hard and not waiting for Fenix to get outside the comfort of doing things the way they feel like doing them; they have too much success to concern themselves with whether or they sell any more lights to us.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah i see, so basically yours was just a concept design, so you can't really say that Fenix "borrowed" on your idea then. The term design is also used to have a working sample, not necessarily engineers do that. For example, product designer make the sample physical product, but product engineers don't :)

I didn´t say that Fenix "borrowed" my idea.
Since my first post, I am trying to say that it looks like a coincidence.
I suggest something (with my design) and they answered that. Clear like water.

Got it ? :tinfoil: