Surefire G2 LED Upgrade

naicidrac

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to ask what exact upgrade should I buy from deal extreme to upgrade my surefire G2 to an LEd flashlight? I also wanted to see if deal extreme is a good company to do business with?

Thanks,
Naicidrac

naicidrac

Newly Enlightened
I am very sorry, I thought I posted this yesterday, but could not find it. I am emberassed and sorry. I searched by my name. Thanks

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I wanted to ask what exact upgrade should I buy from deal extreme to upgrade my surefire G2 to an LEd flashlight? I also wanted to see if deal extreme is a good company to do business with?

Thanks,
Naicidrac

The answer to the first part of your question can be found in the "P60 drop in" sticky thread. I for one would not recommend using high current single mode drop in modules in the plastic G2. You will quickly overheat the emitter if left on for more than 5-6 minutes at a time. IMHO you are much better off using a multi-mode to keep emitter temps down, and still retaining high current modes for periodic use. 14442 has a ~50 Lumen low mode that effectively keeps emitter temps down, yet can heat things up to ~150 Lumens on high if you really need it. 11074 is a very nice module if you are running 17670 cells.

In my area G2s sell for roughly $35. For $6-7 more you can get a new 6P on ebay. Lighthound also sells Solarforce L2 hosts for $25. IMHO either of these would be better to host a high current LED drop in.

DX is pretty much hit or miss from a customer service and product quality standpoint, its like playing roulette. If you are on a tight budget, I think you are better off getting chinese drop ins from lighthound.

The one thing I REALLY like about DX is that they do not "rigidly" filter their user reviews or discussion topic boards. If something is junk, post & flame away for all to see:thumbsup:, just make sure to elaborate why and they will not delete your commentary. If you see repeated complaints for a particular failure mode... stay away form that particular product.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Check this thread.

One thing to keep in mind with the G2 is that it is a polymer light, which means that it can't transfer heat as well as metal light. A LED module run in the G2 might die from overheating.

Sabre

Newly Enlightened
I plan to use my G2 w/ 11836 for short bursts only. It will be a back-up light for tactical situations while I'm on the job (police). Hopefully heat won't be an issue. I'll report back about it after I use it for a while.