Seeking EDC Suggestions

tstead89

Newly Enlightened
O.K., I purchased a SF E1B to replace one i had lost after only owning it for a measly 25 hours :sick:

Now, I'm having a few second thoughts and can always return it for a refund. I wanted to solicit suggestions from the group. My requirements in a light:

1. Good clip (I want to be able to clip it in my pocket or on the brim of a hat and use it as a headlamp when camping)
2. Multi mode setting - hi, medium, low (I know, the E1B only partially meets this)
3. I will carry it in my pocket when not camping so minor/no knurling
4. Strobe would be nice but not necessary
5. Prefer not to have an SOS function
6. Must be reliable, quality-built, and tough
7. Must be waterproof/resistant to at least dropping in a puddle of water or getting rained on
8. Reasonably priced (e.g. <= $70ish)

It seems like the Fenix PD20 meets many of these requirements except it doesn't have a clip. The SF would work but it doesn't have a medium setting, no strobe, and it is $$$. Has anyone modded the Fenix PD20 (or P2D for that matter) to include a clip? If so, how do you do it?

Any thoughts on other brands?

TIA,
Tim

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It comes with its own holster that you can wear on the belt which is far more secure than a belt clip, but of course you won't be able to clip it to the hat for hands free use. My P2D is very unobtrusive to wear daily on the belt.

snakyjake

Enlightened
+1 for either Fenix or NiteCore.

From what I've seen from the postings, Fenix has better output and runtime, though I'm not sure how much the output makes a difference in real life. From the two choices, I would research on the UI and decide based on which you like better. There's an excellent YouTube video about the NiteCore EX10 SmartPD UI and the bottom of the web page.

Or maybe someone has (or can) post a light review between P2D and EX10.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Leatherman Serac S3 will do what you ask: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/210489

2972520382_e51fab327f.jpg