JET-III PRO foggy lens...

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a JET-III PRO (couldn't resist the Southern Lights extremely low discount price... too bad it's closing down) and even before i've switched it on for the first time, i've noticed something odd about the lens/reflector.

At first, i thought it's the reflector coating playing tricks on my mind, but after i've switched it on it became clearly apparent the lens is fogged up from the inside. It doesn't look like water vapour nor condensation nor grease nor a fingerprint. It's just a... well... smudge. And i think it's killing a pretty significant amount of the lens transmittance.

Anyone had a similar experience? How do i unscrew the plastic retaining bezel out? I've already nicked one of the notches of the bloody thing while trying to do it with scissors (even though i was pretty gentle). It just won't budge. If there is no simple trick to it, it's not that big of a deal. I've ordered an SS bezel from BOGUSA and a bezel removal tool, so i'll clean it out when that arrives.

Edit: I'll post a photo when the 18650 charges up. I've just used it up playing with the light. This is one mean throwy light :D

gunga

Flashaholic
Weird, I had the same problem with a Jet 1 IBS. Couldn't open it and ended up having to get a replcement head from Jetbeam.

Odd...

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought of that, but it won't work... The retaining ring is flush with the top of the head.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used the back of a diposable plastic butane lighter and put it in one of the slots, turned counter-clockwise. My retaining ring came out very easy.

I used the plastic lighter because the plastic has a less chance of scratching anything.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tried with the soft (plastic) stuff, worked my way up to scissors and pliers. Won't move for even a millimeter. It's like it's glued...

Oh well, i'll wait for the "removal tool" or try making something similar.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like i said before, no can do - the top surface of the bezel is flush with the edge of the head. Actually, it's sunk a tiny bit under.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
A flat piece of metal cut to the exact dia of the ring"between the notches" that's how I did it until I found a watch opening gadget that works really well.
001.jpg

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
That watch thingy looks pretty useful!
Wonder where i could find one over here...

Anyways, i've tried with a piece of metal about the right diameter. It actually cut a millimeter into one of the notches (in the direction of rotation) and the danged bezel still didn't move. I don't know what they did with it, but by now i'm willing to bet it's either glued in or melted in.

(please don't tell me it's a reverse thread :laughing:)

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hah! I did it!
And you'll never guess what with!

A vernier caliper :D

Thanks, Titan, your watch gizmo gave me the idea.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
:paypal:for the watch thingy. Looks too useful a tool not to have it around :D

I just wish i did the caliper thing before scratching the hell out of the plastic bezel...

Edit: Oh cr@p. I can't see. I've accidentally bumped the JETIII from low to 100% while i was blowing the dust out.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep that will do it every time maximum light when you least want it :mecry:

BTW the thingy I find useful for those rings in tail caps like the Novatacs as well :thumbsup:

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, i know... Bought one along with an SS bezel, but those are still on pre-order.
And being a bit obsessive compulsive where flashlights (and gadgets in general) are concerned (aren't we all), i had to unscrew it and clean it NOW. :D