Jetbeam        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New car, TDI Jetta wagon Diesel

Default New car, TDI Jetta wagon Diesel

Ok, so we have had it for two weeks now. Once we got it home I filled it up and reset the trip odometer, finally last night I got the low fuel light at 781 miles. So this morning I filled it up at 804 miles with 15.58 gallons or 51.6 mpg, pretty good for the first tank! Feel free to ask me questions, I am quite proud of this car. Here is a pic of us with the new car.

Flashaholic

Default Re: New car, TDI Jetta wagon Diesel

Congratulations Brock! I've had my 2000 Golf GLS TDI for over three years now and still love it. What other car gets 40 to 50 mpg, has the fit, finish and details of a VW Jetta, Golf or New Beetle, is as fun to drive and is also one of the safest vehicles in its class according to www.crashtest.com? I just wish the wagon had been around when I bought my Golf.

So when are you going to upgrade the headlights to Bosch Jetta 4/Bora European Spec Xenon H.I.D. Headlights (available at www.pgperformance.com)? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

Congratulations! I've had a 1997 Passat TDI since September and like it better than any other car I've owned. Do the EGR adaptation as soon as possible as you don't want to have to clean the intake.

Jerry

Yes the safety rating on this car is very good a nice plus.

I am getting the EGR done with vag-com this Sunday by a fellow TDI'er I met over on Freds (tdiclub.com)

Here in Germany it is named Bora, no longer Jetta [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Brock, is it true your car will run on completely renewable fuels that are good for America's environment, economy and military security? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

...all the while providing a great ride in a car with fantastic extended range and long engine life? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, congratulations! I really love my 2003 Golf TDI!

I gave my presentation on BioDiesel at an environmental fair last Saturday and people were quite excited at the fuel, technology and the car too! The naturalist that organized the event wanted to see the engine so they could understand how I had modified it for renewable fuels. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] She was quite impressed when it became clear that this car is just as it was when it "came off the show room floor"...no mods, completly able to use either regular diesel or biodiesel anytime I want!

It is all true Ikendu [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I can run my car off home grown bio fuels and hope to get a couple tanks in this summer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I should add that I am running low-sulfur diesel right now, it is suppose to be under 50ppm, better then the 400pmm, but not quite the 15ppm we should get someday, 2006? The low-sulfur does cost a bit more, but it is better for the environment and the car, so I can't imagine not running it.

Congratulations! You'll love it.

Check out this fun mod that easily adds LED cockpit "ambiance" lighting to your overhead console. It uses an OEM VW part from the top-of-the-line Passat W8. I added it to my Jetta and enjoy it every night.

Volkswagen W8 overhead LED lighting mod

Cheers,

Dave

What does your warranty say about alternative fuel use?

sweet ride, nice car, safe, solid, classier materials; nice paint job and wheel!

Flashaholic

Mister T what does Bora mean?

I hope it doesn't mean boar! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

post deleted

Super Moderator

Diesel, Diesels everywhere, I love it!

Speaking of VW's. Have you seen the new 2003 GTI 20th Anniversary Edition? Someone is running car #0007 of 4,000 on e-bay. Wow!

Oh yea, it's me! It's not a diesel so it's hard to get too excited but it is neat. I don't mess with the VW's much but I am soooo impressed with the VW diesels.

How much power do these put out? cost?

Brock said: ..bio fuels..get a couple tanks...low-sulfur diesel...cost a bit more...better for the environment and the car

Actually, I couldn't get B100 (straight biodiesel) on my trip for the environmental fair so I bought 5 gallons of B2 at a retail pump. They had this great banner displayed out by the highway "Biodiesel...expect more from your fuel".

My wife said..."Why bother with only 2% biodiesel?". Well, of course, I said..."2% is better than no percent" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] . But, while I was paying for the fuel (it costs 3 cents more/gal than reg. #2 diesel) I asked the guy at the counter about the fuel. He told me it was quite popular and that he had run out several times before his next delivery of biodiesel came.

I visited the biodiesel distributer (who, incidentally, is building a biodiesel plant to keep up with the demand) and he had told me that people were reporting better mileage from B2 blends. I looked into this on-line (it's what I do... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). I found that modest blends like B2 can give up to 13% better mileage (avg. about +6%), plus the smell and emissions are greatly improved plus it extends engine life due to improved "lubricity". So...maybe the word is getting out if the B2 blend is that popular. Honestly, that surprised me! ...in a good way! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BTW...by the time I got home (back to my source of B100), I still had plenty of fuel left, I wouldn't have needed to buy fuel anyway on my trip. The range this car has is still surprising me!

The bottom line of my reply to your post is... if it is difficult to find B100 in your area, you could always buy a few 5 gallon Blitz diesel "cans" and simply use the biodiesel as an additive! If you ran B2...a 5 gallon can would last a LONG time. At +3 cents a gallon for B2, but with 6% better mileage, it would more than pay for itself! And...with every tank of B2, you are helping to knock out 2% of our imported oil! That's good on a lot of levels!

(Actually, if you really got 6% better mileage, I suppose using 2% biodiesel would reduce imports by 6% or more [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

I saw an estimate the other day that imported oil accounts for a 2 BILLION dollar loss to our economy every day ! (I'm still trying to run down that number [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

"High mileage is good for U.S."

Bigcozy, good question, I don't know about any warranty issue with alternative fuel use, but it seem a lot of people are selling it. Some places sell it right at the pumps so I would imagine it would have to meet some kinds of standards? Ikendu do you know?

V8TOYOTATRK, it isn't a powerhouse. It is rated at 90hp and 150ft lbs of torque. I should add that we were looking for a fuel-efficient car. We looked long and hard at the Prius and Civic. They didn't have the space or the handling and power compared to the TDI. When we drove the other two it felt like we were driving a car with a really small engine, while the TDI felt very similar to out current two gassers. Also we occasionally tow a small 1000lb trailer, we were told that the other two hybrids were not meant to tow at all, while with the TDI this was fine.

EXCELLENT! About time we had a picture. Could you and your lovely family take a large step to your right next time though, so we can see the car better? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You TDI guys rock. I so love hearing the HP/torque specs. Now THAT is the way they *should* read.

LOL, then we took this one just for you [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I should add that 2 weeks ago the water behind us was frozen solid, and 2 months cars were driving on it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

A couple more comments . . .

First, it does not feel like 90hp due to the 155 ft/lb of torque. When I was test driving compacts, the TDIs felt every bit as zippy as the other compacts I test drove (Civic, Corolla, Protege, Focus, etc.) if not moreso. If that's not enough for you (and you are willing to jepordize your warranty, not to mention your clutch) you can always chip it and/or get bigger injector nozzles [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Second, there is a huge warranty exclusion for "intentional or unintentional misfueling". This is true for most automobile warranties. If you get a bad batch of fuel--from whatever source--that is probably between you and your fuel vendor. Your auto dealer or manufacturer may cover you to preserve goodwill, but they usually don't have to under the warranty.

That said, VW says you can run TDIs on RME (rapeseed methyl esther or rapeseed biodiesel) that meets the European Specification E DIN 51606. They do not say you can run TDIs on soy based biodiesel because they have not tested TDIs extensively with that fuel. VW of America and/or VW dealers have told some US TDI owners that using biodiesel will "void their warranty" (of course doing so can only void the warranty for problems caused by the fuel, which are excluded under the misfueling exclusion in any case).

The biodiesel/warranty debate is still smoldering over at Fred's, but that doesn't keep TDI owners from running 20% to 100% soy biodiesel without any problems. I've been running at 5 gallons or more of WORLD ENERGY biodiesel in each tank for 20,000 of the 30,000 miles on my car. I ran 100% biodiesel for most of last summer.

Finally, I don't think TDIs require any modifications, but if you enjoy turning a wrench, here are some that are worthwhile.

1. Add a bypass filter to filter out the small stuff your full-flow oil filter misses. Oilguard (www.oilguard.com) and Amsoil (www.amsoil.com) are popular with the guys at www.tdiclub.com. IMO this mod. can benefit any vehicle.

2. If you leave the pavement much (or even if you don't) consider replacing the plastic belly pan with the VW factory metal skid plate. These cars have 4 1/2" of ground clearance and a cast aluminum oil pan [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

3. If you want a sportier ride and/or more ground clearance, replace the original dampers with Bilstein HDs.

For more info. on TDIs see www.tdiclub.com, particularly the TDI FAQ

if you lop off the front third of the car, it looks AMAZINGLY like the new Sube Forrester, even the wheels! congrats on the new car, it's lovely. if i had to buy a car now, i'd be deisel all the way. gonna try convince an uncle to get one, he wanted the E300D but was discontinued in 99; coming back for 04!!

Thanks Brock, perfect. My friend who is interested in buying one wonders if the lake house comes with it?

Flashaholic*

Congragulations on your new ride, for your information , here is a VWvortex forum for tdi's that you can get useful information.
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=22

Brock said: ...sell it...at the pumps so I would imagine it would have to meet some kinds of standards? Ikendu do you know?

Here is a discussion of the The Biodiesel Standard (ASTM D 6751) .

Ok, so the first tank was about 51 mpg, the second tank was about 58 mpg. My wife did the calculation right after I filled it and made me repeat the numbers to her twice. And even if I was .5 gallons off (which I doubt) in filling we still got over 52. This car keeps amazing me.

Flashaholic*

Just out of curiosity, what are your driving habits like? I know on most of the gas cars I have driven (and my diesels to a lesser degree), my gas mileage can vary by as much as 10 mpg, depending if I'm driving vigorously (having fun), or trying to conserve gas (shifting at low rpm and seldom exceeding the speed limit).

-Keith

A strange game professor...

My 1990 F-350 BEAST with a 7.3 NON turbo diesel SEEMS to get about 13.5 when I baby it, and 14.8ish when I beat on it and tow with it. I once in a while get as high as 15.3...

I personally think someone is messing with me by taking out or adding fuel, but it has been doing this for the best part of a year.

If I were to buy a new car (not likely, as I need a truck most of the time) I would certainly look at a TDI VW!!!

Consumer Reports just did a review of the VW Jetta TDI, which is very similar. You get good gas mileage with diesel, but also mentioned, was the fact that diesel is much more polluting that regular gasoline. It can aggravate respiratory problems, is linked to lung cancer, and produces more smog.

There are two emissions where the diesel is presently worse than gasoline engines; NOx and particulates. NOx is linked to increased smog in the presence of unburned hydrocarbons. Unburned hydrocarbons in an area where the diesel can be better than gasoline engines. So...the NOx may not be as bad as it might seem in total impact.

The high particulates are caused by the excessively high sulfur content in U.S. diesel fuels. Some companies already are phasing in low sulfur fuels. Very low sulfur fuels are required by law in 2006.

If you use low sulfur fuel (available today), you will have less particulates. Later in 2007, once the sulfur is out of the fuel, catalytic converters will clean up the NOx to a point where diesels will be the cleanest ICEs available.

BioDiesel (by the way [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) contains virtually NO sulfur. I burn 100% biodiesel right now, so...I have very low particulates, very low unburned hydrocarbons and therefore produce very little smog...now. My 2003 Golf meets or exceeds all applicable 2003 EPA emissions standards.

By supporting diesel technology...we open the future to completely renewable, liquid fuels that are made in America and will not add to the CO2 load in our atmosphere (that's good [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). Those future diesel cars running on biodiesel will be the cleanest ICEs around when considered on a complete cycle basis.

Plus...what else can you drive where you can make your own fuel for 40 cents a gallon if you want to? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What Ikendu said. I do choose to buy low sulfur diesel, it is suppose to be under 50ppm while most US diesel is about 300ppm, and the new diesel is suppose to be under 10ppm? So yes it produces more NOx them modern gasoline ICE's. But if you have to burn 2 gallons (or mabye even 4 in a SUV) of gasoline to my one gallon of diesel it changes the numbers quite a bit. Diesel also produces far less of the gas that produces the green house effect, about 1/4 that of a gasoline ICE.

NeonLights, you have a very good point and I should tell people how I drive. I tend to drive conservatively, about 5+ the speed limit, rarely more. Also my trip to and from work is about 30 miles all on a 35mph road with 1 stop sign. We do about 1/3 of the mileage in town and my wife drives about 1/3 of the time and the only way to describe her driving is aggressive. She starts as fast as she can and stays at speed until she "has" to brake for the next light or car or whatever. So I think she might even out my driving style.

Realistically I have heard the TDI's get about 45-50 over a lifetime average. Ikendu how have you been doing? How about any other TDI’ers out there?

Brock said: ...TDI's get about 45-50 over a lifetime average.

I'm getting about 46 mpg over the combined mostly highway but some in-town 38 mile round trip on my daily commute. I drive about 60 mph on the highway and the rest in town at the posted limit. Since I'm now filling my Golf from 5 gallon biodiesel containers, I don't have a really accurate way to measure what is going in but I'm running a tank now that I will try to drain down to almost empty to figure a mileage run. The problem with figuring mileage by burning through a whole tank is that it takes SO long to go through a tank you don't get many data points very quickly. It will have taken me about 3 weeks to use up a tank of fuel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast