Coast Led Lenser X7

max52

Newly Enlightened
I see the Coast X7 rated at an advertised 1068 Lumens for sale on several internet sites, yet I have seen very little discussion of the light recently on CPF. It appears that it is selling for slightly less than $300. Does anyone have the X7?

Flic

Enlightened
I'd be happy to hear from owners too. Let's just say that my gut reaction is that I doubt anyone, even Led Lenser (snicker), can make a light that delivers on the promises of this one: focusable, 7 emitter, 1068 lumens, run time of 950 hours (even if on low) on four alkaline D cells. I think there are better alternatives for $300.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
New Led Lenser lights (P7, P14, X7) are really bright, very close to claimed lumens. So X7 is focusable, has 7 emitters and about 1000 lumens. Runtime - definitely shorter...

Art

Enlightened
New Led Lenser lights (P7, P14, X7) are really bright, very close to claimed lumens. So X7 is focusable, has 7 emitters and about 1000 lumens. Runtime - definitely shorter...

I personaly see the oposite. The claymed lumens are lower then their real power.
Red some reviews of the P7 (170lumens) vs Fenix TK10 225lumens and they say that one of them must have wrong values cus they are more less de same.
I believe the lense system just makes up for the difference and still the use cheep AA and AAA batteries... that the others use 3.7v litiums...:oops:

Regards,

max52

Newly Enlightened
But does anyone actually have ONE? I can't believe that nobody on CPF has an X7.

Yapo

Enlightened
I dont have a X7 but I've got a P5 and the 59 lumen rating seems quite close.
It is quite comparable to the surefire E2L's 60 lumen rating and it has a slightly larger hotspot and slightly more throw but without the smooth spill of the surefire.
It can out throw other 120ish lumen rated single AA lights(excluding the jet-I pro) so i can see how some might say the P7 looks brighter than Fenix TK10.
But i'm puzzled with where they pull their numbers from for their runtime.
I wish there was more discussion on led lenser and maybe even proper runtimes and lux measurements done.

Art

Enlightened
Yes the runtimes are strange specialy in the lower models like my P6 where there is only on and off.. so it does 48h in max mode? Dont think so!
The P7 has a low mode so I think in low it will last very long time and still is enought for most the use... it must have like 30lumens or so more less same light as my L0D in primary mode.

Im expecting a P5R with claimed 200lumen in a very small light...but I think that small lenses simply dont have the throw bigger ones have.

Yapo

Enlightened
I suspect that the P5R, if it really is 200lumens, it should be able to throw quite far with a fairly big hotspot but it wont throw quite as far as lights with big turbo heads with tight hotspots.
You cant really expect much more from a light that size but i'd rather have a wider more useful beam than a pencil tight beam and i expect the light would heat up fairly quickly

YAK-28

Enlightened
any news on an x7 sighting yet? i was trying to figure other lights to compare it's levels to? do you think i could expect an "ROP" level from one? i have a p14 and like the levels and flood to spot ability. i ran it at the higher level for a couple of hours for 3 days(maybe 7 or 8 hours total) before a really noticeable dimming (maybe 50 %). anybody know why your not supposed to use rechargeable batteries with them? :thinking::thinking:

Last edited:

jupello

Enlightened
any news on an x7 sighting yet? i was trying to figure other lights to compare it's levels to? do you think i could expect an "ROP" level from one? i have a p14 and like the levels and flood to spot ability. i ran it at the higher level for a couple of hours for 3 days before a really noticeable dimming (maybe 50 %). anybody know why your not supposed to use rechargeable batteries with them? :thinking::thinking:

This thread contains beamshot of it compared to some other led/hid lights, maybe that could give some ideas..
And I have understood that they dont recommend those rechargeables because the resistances in the light have been designed for alkalines.. but people seem to be using NIMH's just fine in their P7's and P14's, and the only mode where this could potentially be a problem if used too much is the momentary "turbo".

YAK-28

Enlightened
just got back from a quick test down at a park with my new x7/21. it's way brighter than rop's or n30 from memory. where my other lights have lit up the closest utility tower(at about 500') this one was several times brighter. i'll have to take a group of lights to check together. it's brighter than my mini vans lights on high. the low setting (adjusted to a spot) was about the same as my e2dl . i really don't have anything to compare the high(it' hard for me to see the difference of the medium and high) to. i really like this light. its made very well. only the very end of the head with the leds moves to adjust, not the whole head like the p14. love the sling set up. ordered yesterday morning from brightguy's and after voting today, the ups guy dropped off my new king. don't have any idea of the real run time, but i'll get some batteries and try to check it out. don't know if it's 1000 lumen or if it will run 700 hours, but i love it..:thumbsup:

jupello

Enlightened
Ooh, finally someone who has it, there's been couple threads about it full of guesses on how it would do :p
Please report back your findings so we can finally have some solid information :popcorn:

YAK-28

Enlightened
left the x7/21 on medium power for 2 1/2 hours and it got slightly warm, but i couldn't tell if it dimmed down any. i'll run it more tonight. my sister called while light testing to say her power was out. i offered to bring it over for her use, but the power returned while on the phone (so close). the only complaint so far is the grip on the body of the light is a little to smooth imo.

YAK-28

Enlightened
i have about 10 hours on the original batteries and you can tell its not as bright as at the start. it is still very bright, close to my rop's that have sat a couple months on their then charged batteries. i was going to change the batteries, but it is still so bright i feel there is plenty of runtime left in them. you won't be putting this light in a pocket, but that's why i bought it. i hate being half way done trying to see something and the batteries die. i've been called in for work at night(storm damage or a car/ pole wreck) and needed 5 or 6 hours of a good light to finish the job. i usually bring in several lights, now i can bring in 1 big and maybe just a couple smaller (pocketable) lights and feel comfortable. the variable focus and different power levels really help this light fit the bill. the light costs alittle more than than i like, but being able use it for work lets me get it. if i could use rechargeables in it i would be VERY happy with it. so i'm only very happy with it now.:twothumbs

jupello

Enlightened
Good to hear that it wont suck up the batteries in 5minutes as some guessed. ;) You have probably used it on the low mode too to reach the 10hours?
I'm pretty sure it would work just fine with NIMH D-cells too, but since it's so expensive light it might be best to calculate the resistances to make sure before trying out :p

YAK-28

Enlightened
no the 10 hrs were on the medium level. idon't know if it is just my light, but i really can't see a difference between the mid and high level.

jupello

Enlightened
no the 10 hrs were on the medium level. idon't know if it is just my light, but i really can't see a difference between the mid and high level.

Hmm, you mean the momentary level with the "high" and the higher constant-on mode with "medium"? Or does it have different modes from P7/P14?