18650 tabs

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a lot if 18650 batteries. They do not work in several lights I own only because the + end of the cell does not make contact inside the flashlight. What is the easiest way to put a tab on a non-tabbed 18650? Is it safe to put a drop of solder on the + end?

Mike

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
In the past I have folded the tab over and over on the + side to make a sort of tab. You could also add a drop of solder to that folded over tab for a smoother finish. Or trim the tabs off, rough up the surface of the + side a little and apply a drop of solder. It may or may not stick. Don't heat up the top of the cell too much.

Bill

Hellbore

Enlightened
There is an even easier way.

They are called "Magnetic 18650 Battery Spacers".

Search for that on Kaidomain and you'll find them (apparently we're not allowed to post links to Kaidomain or Dealextreme, otherwise I would just link you there).

I saw them while I was browsing there one day. They are little magnets that stick to the + end of the battery and conduct electricity. Sounds like a perfect solution to me.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you! That just reminded me of something:) I worked for Radio Shack for 11 years and they used to sell small (tiny!) magnets. They were tiny, round, and flat and would work perfect if they still sell them!

Mike

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened
I've used the 8mm ones from DX very successfully with AA's. Some of my rechargeable AA's have shorter + posts and fatter bodies causing them to not make contact sometimes.
Be careful when putting the batteries in so you don't cause a short. Those magnets are pretty strong and stick pretty easily to things you don't intend them to stick to.

Hellbore

Enlightened
Can anybody point me to where it says this?

I can not, because I don't know if or where it says this, or why it is not allowed. All I know is that newbies and long-time forum regulars alike have had their posts edited by moderators, removing links to Dealextreme and Kaidomain, sometimes with no explanation given. To avoid this I just don't post links.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can not, because I don't know if or where it says this, or why it is not allowed. All I know is that newbies and long-time forum regulars alike have had their posts edited by moderators, removing links to Dealextreme and Kaidomain, sometimes with no explanation given. To avoid this I just don't post links.

The original policy on this is here. It has been expanded to CPF as a whole. If you wish to discuss it, you may do so in the Under Ground not on CPF proper.

Hellbore

Enlightened
The original policy on this is here. It has been expanded to CPF as a whole. If you wish to discuss it, you may do so in the Under Ground not on CPF proper.

OK thanks for the info, seems pretty straightforward.

In a word, "no." It is not a safe procedure to solder Li-Ion cells.

I have soldered onto the + terminal of a couple of my 14500 cells, does this make them suspect or dangerous? They seem to be performing normally so far. When I did it, I used a very hot iron, and just touched the terminal for a few seconds.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
probably didn't do too much damage, if the iron wasn't on there too long.

Last edited: