Cree, deep reflector, AA, thrower, spot

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a replacement for my Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon.

I use it for spot lighting objects at a distance. I carry a dimmer light just to walk around at night.

I found this deep reflector item:

3 Watt Cree LED Flashlight 3 AA

"This one is our own custom designed Cree LED flashlight. Our plan was to develop a properly driven white and very bright record breaking long running 3 AA Cree LED light. We were hoping to generate around 130lm and we actually exceeded our expectations. We had the exterior of the light coated in a none reflective black finish and deeply knurled. This light is designed for those who prefer a full sized diameter light. "

7217BK.jpg

Edit: direct link removed based on comments below.

Anyone got one of these?

Got a better idea for such a thrower?

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
romisen RC-G2 Q5 from shiningbeam

And it's probably not a bad idea to save DM some hassle, and remove the link yourself :p

Alternatively, I believe DEFT uses AA's :devil:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually lights that use 3 batteries have subpar performance. I agree with above and go with something from shiningbeam if you are trying to not get something too expensive.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
And it's probably not a bad idea to save DM some hassle, and remove the link yourself :p

I haven't spent much time on the LED forum in recent years, are we not supposed to link to lights we are considering?

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually lights that use 3 batteries have subpar performance. I agree with above and go with something from shiningbeam if you are trying to not get something too expensive.

I was thinking about getting a Fenix L2D CE (2 AAs) but it was described as a "flood" beam. That got me thinking about the deep reflector of my ProPoly Lux. The shiningbeam light from above is a 1 AA?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The moderating team at CPF tend to prefer a product description rather than a direct link, which is normally considered advertising and thus removed.

The L2D is a great light, but it certainly isn't a thrower by any stretch of the imagination. The RC-G2 is one of the better AA throwers, unfortunately a decent multi-AA powered thrower (20K lux+) doesn't really exist; thinking about it, the best is probably the fenix TK20 which gets about 10K lux IIRC.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Steamlight 4AA Luxeon is arond 3000 Lux. The Fenix E20 is also similar lux wise(so throw wise they are similar) and have more output. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store/4sevens is "CPF8".

The L2D-CE Q5 has similar amount of throw(also around 3000 lux) but has a wider hotspot and much more output. They are more then $35 though.

At a lower price, the RC-N3 Q5(black or gray) from shiningbeam might work. They also have a coupon for CPF users but I don't remember it.

What betteries do you prefere? There are many Dealextreme or Kaidomain lights that will work but many use CR123s or rechargeable Li-ion batteries.

I haven't spent much time on the LED forum in recent years, are we not supposed to link to lights we are considering?

From what I understand, linking to any site, especially Dealextreme and Kaidomain is considered advertisement and can not be done.

I find it easier to directly link to the light I'm talking about, it saves people time that would be used for searching and saves me a bit of time. If the moderators want me to stop linking to lights, pm me and I'll stop posting links and just post the SKU number or site + model, name(sorry if this sounds like a challenge, I was just wondering what I should do).

Wouldn't pointing to a light on a site also count as advertisement?

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RC-G2 is one of the better AA throwers, unfortunately a decent multi-AA powered thrower (20K lux+) doesn't really exist...

I've ordered a Romisen Cree RC-N3. At least I will have a more modern, CREE based light from which to understand some of the latest comparisons.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
At a lower price, the RC-N3 Q5(black or gray) from shiningbeam might work. They also have a coupon for CPF users but I don't remember it.
I have one of those and it does throw quite far. I've never been able to determine exactly how far since my laser measuring device only has a 50 foot range on it.

The following measurements are from the Google Earth ruler. I have no idea how accurate it is.

When shining it towards the rafters of a neighbouring house approx 230 feet away, it easily illuminated the rafters.

Shining the light towards a cluster of small trees in our area, I got close to 300 feet with it, but the light was pretty diffused by all ambient light from the streetlights.

When shining the light towards a reflective street sign, light illuminated the reflective material of the sign, which was approx 680 feet away.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new regal light sounds like the light you could be looking for...

Thanks to both for mentioning this light. That big, deep reflector head does look like the ticket! Although, as stated in the other thread link, how does one buy this light? What is the cost? I didn't see info on either on their site. Googling didn't turn up any info either.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have [the RC-N3 Q5] and it does throw quite far.

When shining it towards the rafters of a neighbouring house approx 230 feet away, it easily illuminated the rafters.

Thanks for the post! Anything like this performance will very likely meet my needs!

Mostly I use my "spot lighting" light during our evening walks to light up deer rustling off to the side or whatever if we hear a noise. We use a dim light like an Infinity just to light up the pavement (live on a lightly traveled, paved road out in the country) as we walk along.

I've been noticing that the ProPoly Luxeon just wasn't doing it for me. When I checked my NiMHs, they wouldn't even register at all on my battery checker (but were still producing quite a bit of useful light!). After I put some freshly charged Eneloops in the ProPoly, it light up distant objects very nicely! Just goes to show how a LED flashlight can still be producing a surprising amount of useful light long after an incandescent bulb would be basically dead. And... I love that battery checker! (EC-741)

Now... it will be really fun when I get my new RC-N3 to see how it compares to the ProPoly.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my very first Cree flashlight arrived today; Romisen RC-N3.

Ordered on 10-25-08 (DealExtreme) and delivered on 11-13-08 (17 days... felt longer).

One of my uses is lighting up my newspaper delivery box that is out by the street. I shine the flashlight from the porch to see if the paper has been delivered before I walk out there in the winter snow and ice.

The distance is about 150 feet.

I'd say that the new Cree light is a little brighter (but only just barely in real difference terms). As I paced off this distance tonight, I shone both lights down the road. The Cree is definitely brighter, "noticeably" brighter, but not by a whole lot.

I guess what I've accomplished by getting a new Cree based light is that I get a little more throw (not enough to make a real difference) and a little more brightness (also not enough to make a real difference) but in a slimmer package that only uses 2 AAs and slips into a pocket more easily.

Bottom line, if the slimness isn't crucial, and you've got a ProPoly 4AA Luxeon, then I think you can save a little cash and just keep on using that ProPoly.

The new light is "clearly better" but not overwhelmingly so.

The mailbox test comes out basically the same.

One neat, new, little feature, I can run the Romisen on one 123a battery or two AAs. That's pretty neat, but I'll likely power it with two eneloops for the rest of its life. The build quality seems very nice.

Gryloc

Enlightened
I really hate to advertise this, but I have successfully modded a couple Streamlight PP 4AA flashlights to use the latest Seoul P4 emitters. If you are interested in breathing new life into your 'ol PP 4AA, then send me a PM. I agree that the good 'ol 4AA PP is still a great light. Even in stock form, it out throws quite a few 1xAA/1xCR123 Cree lights. Even if the technology is "old", it does not make it any less useful. Well, I created a thread a while ago showing how I modified the PP 4AA. Just do a quick CPF search...

The Seoul P4 behind that deep reflector produces a very nice and tight beam, with a slight corona to make it a bit more usable for close up tasks. I have a few of the 0200 binned TFFC K2s that I hope to try in the light as well. It should produce the same beam as stock, but a lot brighter. However, I think that there may be a few spiral shaped artifact caused by the TFFC K2 due to those little dots on the TFFC die (vias). Maybe I will find out this weekend.

-Tony

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You have to remember the difference in reflector size. The Propoly has a much larger reflector then the RC-N3, so the throw you see from the RC-N3 is partiality due to the amount of light coming from the RC-N3.

Either way, I'm glad you got the light!

Last edited: