NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    492

    Default Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

    Hi, been looking at the D10 and EX10 threads and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for meh.

    - I would only be using the D10 with Duracell/Energizer NIMH 2500 mAh AAs.

    - I would only be using the EX10 with rechargeable Trustfire RCR123s with "880" mAh (probably closer to ~600 mAh) Lithiums.

    Wondering which will give me better performance with only those batteries.


  2. #2

    Default Re: Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

    The D10 and the EX10 use the same driver so the only reason one would outperform the other is battery choice. So why would you not run 14500's in the D10?

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* Kilovolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Como, Italy
    Posts
    2,388

    Default Re: Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

    TrustFire 880 mAh li-ion batteries can not be used in an EX10 because they are too long and they prevent the normal operation of the piston.
    It is a mechanical problem. AW 750 mAh black label cells can be used successfully. This problem is not new and it happens with a lot of other lights. The length of a cell is very important.

    If you intend to use just the batteries you list then your only choice is D10.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    492

    Sssh Re: Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

    Quote Originally Posted by Axion View Post
    The D10 and the EX10 use the same driver so the only reason one would outperform the other is battery choice. So why would you not run 14500's in the D10?
    Just not really interested in having a whole 'nother type of battery -- with associated charger -- lying around my place. Nothing against 'em.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    492

    Default Re: Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilovolt View Post
    TrustFire 880 mAh li-ion batteries can not be used in an EX10 because they are too long and they prevent the normal operation of the piston.
    It is a mechanical problem. AW 750 mAh black label cells can be used successfully. This problem is not new and it happens with a lot of other lights. The length of a cell is very important.

    If you intend to use just the batteries you list then your only choice is D10.
    Awesome, thanks for that info, you just saved me lots of hassle!

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* jbviau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    512

    Default Re: Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilovolt View Post
    AW 750 mAh black label cells can be used successfully.
    This is true, but my EX10 behaves a little strangely each time I put the AW battery back in after a recharge. I think the battery is a tiny bit long, and my EX10 spring probably hasn't been fully worn in yet. After a few minutes of the battery being in the light (and presumably squishing down the spring) things always sort themselves out. For what it's worth.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* Kilovolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Como, Italy
    Posts
    2,388

    Default Re: Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

    My EX10 on the contrary shows no difference in behavior between CR123 primaries and AW cells.

    It is probably a matter of manufacturing tolerances.

  8. #8
    *Flashaholic* Marduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    10,110

    Default Re: Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Just not really interested in having a whole 'nother type of battery -- with associated charger -- lying around my place. Nothing against 'em.

    It's the same "type" of cell, and uses the same charger. 14500's actually store just a bit more energy than the equivalent RCR123 cell.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

    The EX10 will give you about 125% the output for 75% as much time as the D10, using those batteries. light-reviews.com is your friend

  10. #10

    Default Re: Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

    Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    It's the same "type" of cell, and uses the same charger. 14500's actually store just a bit more energy than the equivalent RCR123 cell.
    ...maybe with wires soldered to the tabs of the charger, going to a AA battery holder, it will use the same charger. Otherwise, it'll need a new one.

  11. #11
    *Flashaholic* Marduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    10,110

    Default Re: Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

    Quote Originally Posted by cerbie View Post
    ...maybe with wires soldered to the tabs of the charger, going to a AA battery holder, it will use the same charger. Otherwise, it'll need a new one.

    Why? There are a number of chargers which can do any size cell from 10440 to 18650, including 16340 (RCR123 size). There is no need to buy multiple chargers for a single chemistry within that size range.

    The TR-001 or WF-139 chargers for example can do any size Li-Ion cell in that range.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

    Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    Why? There are a number of chargers which can do any size cell from 10440 to 18650, including 16340 (RCR123 size). There is no need to buy multiple chargers for a single chemistry within that size range.

    The TR-001 or WF-139 chargers for example can do any size Li-Ion cell in that range.
    That's assuming you already have one of those specific chargers, not one made for CR123 size only.

  13. #13
    *Flashaholic* Marduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    10,110

    Default Re: Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

    Quote Originally Posted by cerbie View Post
    That's assuming you already have one of those specific chargers, not one made for CR123 size only.
    Yes, that is assuming someone getting into that chemistry did a little research beforehand and didn't buy such a limited charger that they backed themselves into a corner of only being able to use one cell size.

    But in the end, you still only need ONE charger, any mistakenly purchased ones can easily be sold off to recoup their cost.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

    Or, you know, someone could do the research and come up with a different conclusion for most of their use. Or, maybe he didn't, but doesn't want any extras to deal with. Either way, I don't see how it is wrong or a mistake to choose specific equipment, and stick with it.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    492

    Default Re: Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

    thanks guys, there are numerous reasons I don't want to get into a whole 'nother type of cell. I appreciate the responses.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •