Nitecore D10 vs EX10 with the following batts

Bonky

Banned
Hi, been looking at the D10 and EX10 threads and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for meh.

- I would only be using the D10 with Duracell/Energizer NIMH 2500 mAh AAs.

- I would only be using the EX10 with rechargeable Trustfire RCR123s with "880" mAh (probably closer to ~600 mAh) Lithiums.

Wondering which will give me better performance with only those batteries.

:confused:

Axion

Enlightened
The D10 and the EX10 use the same driver so the only reason one would outperform the other is battery choice. So why would you not run 14500's in the D10?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
TrustFire 880 mAh li-ion batteries can not be used in an EX10 because they are too long and they prevent the normal operation of the piston. :rolleyes:
It is a mechanical problem. AW 750 mAh black label cells can be used successfully. This problem is not new and it happens with a lot of other lights. The length of a cell is very important.

If you intend to use just the batteries you list then your only choice is D10.

Bonky

Banned
The D10 and the EX10 use the same driver so the only reason one would outperform the other is battery choice. So why would you not run 14500's in the D10?

Just not really interested in having a whole 'nother type of battery -- with associated charger -- lying around my place. Nothing against 'em. :)

Bonky

Banned
TrustFire 880 mAh li-ion batteries can not be used in an EX10 because they are too long and they prevent the normal operation of the piston. :rolleyes:
It is a mechanical problem. AW 750 mAh black label cells can be used successfully. This problem is not new and it happens with a lot of other lights. The length of a cell is very important.

If you intend to use just the batteries you list then your only choice is D10.

Awesome, thanks for that info, you just saved me lots of hassle! :twothumbs

jbviau

Enlightened
AW 750 mAh black label cells can be used successfully.

This is true, but my EX10 behaves a little strangely each time I put the AW battery back in after a recharge. I think the battery is a tiny bit long, and my EX10 spring probably hasn't been fully worn in yet. After a few minutes of the battery being in the light (and presumably squishing down the spring) things always sort themselves out. For what it's worth.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EX10 on the contrary shows no difference in behavior between CR123 primaries and AW cells. :)

It is probably a matter of manufacturing tolerances.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Just not really interested in having a whole 'nother type of battery -- with associated charger -- lying around my place. Nothing against 'em. :)

It's the same "type" of cell, and uses the same charger. 14500's actually store just a bit more energy than the equivalent RCR123 cell.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EX10 will give you about 125% the output for 75% as much time as the D10, using those batteries. light-reviews.com is your friend :)

cerbie

Enlightened
It's the same "type" of cell, and uses the same charger. 14500's actually store just a bit more energy than the equivalent RCR123 cell.
...maybe with wires soldered to the tabs of the charger, going to a AA battery holder, it will use the same charger. Otherwise, it'll need a new one.

Marduke

Flashaholic
...maybe with wires soldered to the tabs of the charger, going to a AA battery holder, it will use the same charger. Otherwise, it'll need a new one.

Why? There are a number of chargers which can do any size cell from 10440 to 18650, including 16340 (RCR123 size). There is no need to buy multiple chargers for a single chemistry within that size range.

The TR-001 or WF-139 chargers for example can do any size Li-Ion cell in that range.

cerbie

Enlightened
Why? There are a number of chargers which can do any size cell from 10440 to 18650, including 16340 (RCR123 size). There is no need to buy multiple chargers for a single chemistry within that size range.

The TR-001 or WF-139 chargers for example can do any size Li-Ion cell in that range.
That's assuming you already have one of those specific chargers, not one made for CR123 size only.

Marduke

Flashaholic
That's assuming you already have one of those specific chargers, not one made for CR123 size only.

Yes, that is assuming someone getting into that chemistry did a little research beforehand and didn't buy such a limited charger that they backed themselves into a corner of only being able to use one cell size.

But in the end, you still only need ONE charger, any mistakenly purchased ones can easily be sold off to recoup their cost.

cerbie

Enlightened
Or, you know, someone could do the research and come up with a different conclusion for most of their use. Or, maybe he didn't, but doesn't want any extras to deal with. Either way, I don't see how it is wrong or a mistake to choose specific equipment, and stick with it.

Bonky

Banned
thanks guys, there are numerous reasons I don't want to get into a whole 'nother type of cell. I appreciate the responses.