HELP! Problem with Terralux TLE-6EXB in a 2D Mag

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Hey guys,

I got a Terralux TLE-6EXB on my 2D Mag, and I seem to have some trouble with it. If I leave it on for like 5 mins, and it bangs against something, it'll reduce the power output to like half. Also if I leave it on for a few mins, and turn it off and on again, it will also reduce the output to about half.

I've switched the LED bulb into a different maglite, tried new batteries, cleaned the contacts, and I still get this problem. This is also the second TLE-6EXB bulb I got. I returned the first one, and the second one still does it in both mags. Any thoughts or help?

TIA

mike

Last edited:

bpbauer7

Newly Enlightened
Id like to know about this too because I am trying to find an LED upgrade for my 2D Maglite and this is one I was looking into buying. Are you still having problems with it? Anyone out there have any ideas?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Maglite's bulb holder is originally designed for incandescent bulbs which like to run hot like 3000°. It was designed to keep the heat in.
An LED will smoke at a much lower temperature ~140°C. For the 1st 10 minutes the heat from the LED can be absorbed by the bulb case/bulb holder. After that temperature protection kicks in and reduces heat production and unfortunately also output. This is normal and happens with Mag's own 3W drop in as well as the Terralux. For extended runs plan on 1/2 the initial brightness.

I have read some enterprising CPF member soldered a heavy gauge wire from the bottom of the bulb holder to the body allowing the heat to escape. He was careful to route the wire so it did not interfere with the cam focus action of the reflector.