HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What best flashlight choice for keyring ?

Default What best flashlight choice for keyring ?

Hi all !

I've found your forum thanks to a...french flashlights forum (but I've found yours more interesting).

I'm Bruce, born (French), raised, living and working in Paris in the advertising photography business.
    That was my (very) short bio.

I've read some very interesting things on this forum and I would like to know your opinion...

Many years ago, I've been given a present: a little Solitaire Maglite. I've found the present bit useless but I've attached it to my keyring.
    A few weeks, later, I was experiencing my first pavement search for my girlfriend priceless lost earing which took me nearly 2 hours and thanks to the Maglite Solitaire, I've found it.

Since then, I've never wanted to have nothing except this small pocketable (did I say life saver ?) flashlight as a keyring.
    Later on, I've found the light bulb being weak (after 5 years...), light was so dim, and even with a powerful battery I could hardly see anything in the dark.

Recently, I've found a leaking acid liquid in the battery housing of the Solitaire. Light bulb was dying slowly and one day, the Solitaire was gone for ever. Time to replace it I thought !

Here comes trouble and I can't make up my mind and choosing from dozen of flashlights is becoming a nightmare (rather than a pleasure).
    It would be really great if you could help me a bit with this.

I'm now looking for a nice, lightweight and pocketable flashlight.
    Lighting something is really occasional. I don't "really" a very powerful light.

Hence, I am considering the following ones:

• Inova Micro Light. Seems tp have a rather good overall feedback. Seems a bit fragile maybe and I don't know about the lighting capabilities.

• Photon Micro Light: same thing as above...except that the LED is overexposed to damage. A bit expensive for this tiny plastic thing...

• Fenix - P1D: a bit "big" and heavy maybe ? From what I've read, light is fabulous...but I may not need that much amount of power.
    Trade of: big, heavy, light superpower not necessarily needed...

• Fenix - L0D (EC ? Q4 ? I'm really getting confused with Fenix's odd serial numbers... ). As big as my beloved Maglite Solitaire. Much more pocketable than the P1D. Could be my best choice but I'm still undecided.

I thank you very much for your time and please let me know your thoughts.
    And all my apologies for my grammar/synthax mistakes.

All the best from Paris,

Bruce

Default Re: What best flashlight choice for keyring ?

Quote Originally Posted by hemdale View Post
    Hi all !

I've found your forum thanks to a...french flashlights forum (but I've found yours more interesting).

I'm Bruce, born (French), raised, living and working in Paris in the advertising photography business.
    That was my (very) short bio.

I've read some very interesting things on this forum and I would like to know your opinion...

Many years ago, I've been given a present: a little Solitaire Maglite. I've found the present bit useless but I've attached it to my keyring.
    A few weeks, later, I was experiencing my first pavement search for my girlfriend priceless lost earing which took me nearly 2 hours and thanks to the Maglite Solitaire, I've found it.

Since then, I've never wanted to have nothing except this small pocketable (did I say life saver ?) flashlight as a keyring.
    Later on, I've found the light bulb being weak (after 5 years...), light was so dim, and even with a powerful battery I could hardly see anything in the dark.

Recently, I've found a leaking acid liquid in the battery housing of the Solitaire. Light bulb was dying slowly and one day, the Solitaire was gone for ever. Time to replace it I thought !

Here comes trouble and I can't make up my mind and choosing from dozen of flashlights is becoming a nightmare (rather than a pleasure).
    It would be really great if you could help me a bit with this.

I'm now looking for a nice, lightweight and pocketable flashlight.
    Lighting something is really occasional. I don't "really" a very powerful light.

Hence, I am considering the following ones:

• Inova Micro Light. Seems tp have a rather good overall feedback. Seems a bit fragile maybe and I don't know about the lighting capabilities.

• Photon Micro Light: same thing as above...except that the LED is overexposed to damage. A bit expensive for this tiny plastic thing...

• Fenix - P1D: a bit "big" and heavy maybe ? From what I've read, light is fabulous...but I may not need that much amount of power.
    Trade of: big, heavy, light superpower not necessarily needed...

• Fenix - L0D (EC ? Q4 ? I'm really getting confused with Fenix's odd serial numbers... ). As big as my beloved Maglite Solitaire. Much more pocketable than the P1D. Could be my best choice but I'm still undecided.

I thank you very much for your time and please let me know your thoughts.
    And all my apologies for my grammar/synthax mistakes.

All the best from Paris,

Bruce
    Muyshondt Aeon, hands down.

The Fenix lights you noted are not big at all: The Fenix P1D is 7.1 x 2.1 cm, basically half the height of an aluminum soda can; the L0D is 7.4 x 1.4, or slightly larger than an AA battery. A Solitaire is on the same scale as either light.

You can find either of these lights at a good price with free international shipping at the Fenix Store: https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php

I love the L0D Q4, got 4 of em now me self, two on keys and two for general stuff.

You had a solitare?, turn the solitare on in the beam of the L0D and you wont see it, thats how good the L0D is, put a few reletives and friends to shame doing this with there beloved keyring solitares. They were like

There tough as old boots, ive abused the flippn heck out of one of mine, still functions like new.

Get some lithium AAA and ur set.

+1 for the LOD, its a great light.
    I was surprised tho not to see the fenix E01 on your list, its also very good, obviously not as fancy as the lod though.

I have the fenix LOD Q4, and can't tell you how much i love it. Lots of power in a small package, mine sits on my keychain and I don't even know its there. Did I say lots of power? 75 lum !!! And yes mine works perfectly, usual fenix quality.

Flashaholic

Thumbs up Re: What best flashlight choice for keyring ?

+1 for the L0D! Have it now for over a year on my keychain and it´s really amazingly bright! It would still be my first choice for a REAL EDC Keychain Light!

Regards

Fenix L0D, P1D CE Q5, P3D Q5, P3D with aspherical Lens, T1, Barbolight U-15, Microfire T 503 , K500R, K3500R , Brightstar 24W (3x), Amondotech 35W (4x), Polarion Helios PH40 AND PH50 , WiseLed-Tactical 1500, Black Mag 6185 (100 Watt), 11D Mag (from Josey), 6-Q5 C-Mag (from "download"), Triple P7-3D Mag with Cooling Fan (from sabrewolf), Xevision 75 Watt HID (aka "Barnburner")

The L0D is a small and very bright light, for less light the E01 is better.

Your can see the size of some small lights here:

I feel like there needs to be a sticky keychain thread. People ask about them often enough.

Get the Fenix E01 with a lithium (L92) battery, it's a great keychain flashlight.
    I've got more flashlights than I need, but still wants more...and then a few more

L0D is a purchase you'll never regret, even if you go on to buy more of these other lights!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors Fanatic View Post

Ouch....$200... Sorry, I can't spend that much on a keychain flashlight...

bonjour et bienvenue mon ami.

I carry the Fenix P1D-CE on my keychain.
    I dont' find it too big at all.
    It has alot of advantages, such as multiple settings of brightness, (low for certain tasks such as reading a map, to very bright when you want to light up a dark alley), Its also got good run time, strobe, and SOS strobe. can come in very handy, even in Paris , from whichever 'arrondisement' you usually are in.

bon chance...!
    SF E2DL ..SF E1B ...Novatac 120T... Laser Devices OP-6/9 (LED)Pentagonlight L2+L3 ..Lumapower Incendio ...Fenix P1DCE

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for you help and input !

I'm aiming at L0D I think ('cause it's a bit slimmer)...
    I'm not gonna go for the plastic ones

Naughty Re: What best flashlight choice for keyring ?

Ouch....$200... Sorry, I can't spend that much on a keychain flashlight...
    you really want to hurt your wallet? ("trop d'argent")
    Gatlight http://gatlight.com/GatLightTI.htm, $400 USD
    Surefire Titan (titanium $499 USD) http://www.brightguy.com/products/SureFire_Titan.php, or $239 for the aluminum version.

maybe if I won the lottery I'd spring for the Gatlight for my keychain light. but first, I'd have to get a set of Ferrari keys to go on the keychain, and a really hot busty blonde girl to go IN the Ferrari with me (shh, dont tell my wife..)
    we can all dream can't we...?
    SF E2DL ..SF E1B ...Novatac 120T... Laser Devices OP-6/9 (LED)Pentagonlight L2+L3 ..Lumapower Incendio ...Fenix P1DCE

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for you help and input !

I'm aiming at L0D I think ('cause it's a bit slimmer)...
    I'm not gonna go for the plastic ones
    Good choice, Fenix is a good light.
    I had a maglight solitaire a long time ago and the same leakage happened to me. I could not remove the leaky battery.
    once you get the Fenix, you are going to like it so much you are NOT going to believe that you once liked the Solitaire.

Fenix LOD-CE Q4 or Liteflux LF2 are great AAA keychain lights.
    Facebook: Wade Fulp - Follow me on Twitter! @flashlightguy and my main feed @WadeFulp Google+ PROFILE

Flashaholic*

I Think A Fenix E01 Will Suit Your Needs Just Fine.

*Its Easily Replaceable If You Lose/Break It
    *Fenix Store Has Free Worldwide Shipping
    *Its Only 15 Dollars
    *Its Brighter Than Your Solitaire
    *Tough As Nails

http://www.Fenix-Store.com/

+1 for the Fenix LOD. I have had one on my key-chain for over a year. It has hit the cement more than once and it's still working fine(plus if it does break the price to replace it won't hurt too bad).

Steve
    Last edited by Steve L; 10-26-2008 at 09:19 AM.

with the exception that people either cannot afford it or does not want to afford it.

+1 for L0D-CE Q4 for most applications

+0.5 for E01 for long runtime applications, some may disagree about the tint being useful but some light is better than none in the dark

When my Solitaire died, LED's were not even used yet for flash lights..

Let me show you the type of flashlight I have at the moment.
    (please don't laugh)

What a glow !

I'm ONE INCH far from the wall !

Dunno what kind of LED it could be, but honestly, who here would really care ?

"So called" aluminum casing (dented and scratched by 24/7 keys dingling):

Rust ?

Ah yes, rust indeed...

I don't know what could have happened ? Moisture leakage ? O-ring failure ?
    Honestly, I bought this thing at least 4 years ago in a camping store ($20) so as the wise guy says: "you (usually) get what you pay for".
    Last edited by hemdale; 10-26-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Illum_the_nation View Post
    +1 for L0D-CE Q4 for most applications

+0.5 for E01 for long runtime applications, some may disagree about the tint being useful but some light is better than none in the dark
    You got it right about me and the E01 tint. I like the build and feel of it, but not the emitter, at all.

That and the L0D being virtually the same size but capable of going both low and actually having a bit of light to throw around, the only reason I could see not to pick the L0D would be if someone was just flat out of money.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by ~Deicide~ View Post
    I Think A Fenix E01 Will Suit Your Needs Just Fine.

*Its Easily Replaceable If You Lose/Break It
    *Fenix Store Has Free Worldwide Shipping
    *Its Only 15 Dollars
    *Its Brighter Than Your Solitaire
    *Tough As Nails

http://www.Fenix-Store.com/

Sure ! I was aiming at the E01 too but the bulk is quite similar:

L0D is: 7.35cm (L) x 1.4cm (D) (or 2.9 in (L) x 0.6 in (D))
    E01 is : 7.1cm (Length) x 1.4cm (Diameter) but it's power seems a bit weak.

Still, no one here recommanded me any Photon or Inova products !
    Last edited by hemdale; 10-26-2008 at 09:24 AM.

Sure ! I was aiming at the E01 too but the bulk is quite similar:

L0D is: 7.35cm (L) x 1.4cm (D) (or 2.9 in (L) x 0.6 in (D))
    E01 is : 7.1cm (Length) x 1.4cm (Diameter) but it's power seems a bit weak.
    Bingo! It's the same size and cheaper, but if you can afford $15 you can probably afford $45 and be much, much happier! The other thing you can't see from the specs is the purple beam.

You know you want the L0D!

Yep, the LOD would be great for your needs. I like the LF2X a bit better, I would call it very close. The Aeon is nice but expensive and may be a bit fat for pocket carry compared to an AAA light.

Another cool small light not mentioned is the Photonfanatic Lil Killer. It can be ordered with a AAA configuration or an even smaller batter option which makes it extremely small. It is high quality titianium but cost just over a hundred bucks. The EO1 is a good inexpensive option. All very good recomendations.

One other recomendation - Arc AAA. This light is a bit expensive for what it is (similar to the EO1 but at $50 instead of $15). What I like about the Arc over the EO1 is the every slightly smaller size and also it is driven a little harder to provide a little more output. It is not regulated as well as the EO1 and really shines on a more expensive lithium cell. Runtime is a little over 5 hours on lithium cell and pretty good output.
    Last edited by regulator; 10-26-2008 at 09:38 AM.

Smile Re: What best flashlight choice for keyring ?

The E01s okay once you get used to the tint, the only jeer I have for it is the size of the head, its not for people with fat fingers. I'm Asian and the head is still too small for me to turn with one hand

The L0D-CE can survive basically anything in my book...I have two, this is the older one where only the head is HA, the body was type II

Its been under cars, rolled around in pockets full of tools, fallen off rooftops [even with the split ring I would have hoped they designed a hex into it], been in the wash [twice, both times disintegrated, no battery leaks though], been in the dryer [twice, the glue holding the head together finally gave way, but didn't unscrew]. Been on the keys for about a year now...still would like it was new, and still water resistant with the stock o-rings. The significant scarring was from the time when I decided to do some destructive testing by towing it behind my bike on dirt roads...but on the return "flight" it was asphalt [I was wearing black on a black bike and neighbors were coming out and watching this strobe light speeding down the street and I couldn't help myself]

I'm looking at Illum_the_nation's images of the MuyShondt Aeon.

Nice piece of flashlight he has. (expensive though...) is it a better light and more reliable construction than Fenix ?
    Should I possibly consider the MuyShondt Aeon as an investment ?

I'm reviewing Fenix Store website and I'm quite impressed:

Fenix Digital P1D CE Olive Textured @ $50.08
    Fenix Digital L0D Q4 Olive Finish @ $46.50

Quite the same price...

I'm a bit concerned now. Would an small extra bulk acceptance would be good with regards to the extra capabilities of the P1D ? I know that size matters but a quite powerful light such as the P1D will never be a disadvantage.
    To all P1D's owners could you post images of your keychains with the P1D on it ?
    That would help me choosing from.

Last edited by hemdale; 10-26-2008 at 09:54 AM.

Flashaholic*

Recently, I've found a leaking acid liquid in the battery housing of the Solitaire.
    If You Get The L0D-Q4, Are You Going To Use Lithium Batteries?

Alkaline Batteries Are Just Too Unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Deicide~ View Post
    If You Get The L0D-Q4, Are You Going To Use Lithium Batteries?

Alkaline Batteries Are Just Too Unpredictable.

I'd rather use the best batteries possible. Lithum would be a good catch I think.

For what you seem to want, the L0D-CE Q4 should be great. I'd suggest using it with a good AAA rechargeable battery. You can use the 10440(AAA sized 3.7v Li-ion battery) for a lot more output but that will void the warranty. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store/4sevens is "CPF8".

If you want to use the 10440 battery, go for the Liteflux LF2X.

I've read good and bad things about the Inova Microlight, overall it sounds like a good keychain light(not that bright compared to the high power LED in the L0D-CE though, same with the Photon)

The Photon has variable output, which might be good when you need a lower output then other lights provide.

The LED's capsule might be exposed, but the actual working component is much close to the other side of the capsule which is in the light. You can cut off the dome and the LED will work just fine.

I've heard good things about the light, but remember that not all of us are willing or are able to pay $200 for a light. I do see your point though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast