Milky ML-1 or Ra Clicky?

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
As a happy Novatac and Twisty owner, I've been figuring I'd get a Clicky when they came out. But just started thinking, maybe I should take the money and get a Milky ML-1... Lose programability. Gain simpler, more elegant UI, in my opinion. And I like the form factor better.

Given that I have the UI (effectively) in the novatac, and the quality and runtime in the Twisty, maybe the Milky's a more interesting way to go.

Milky's a little pricier, but they're both in the "I really shouldn't be buying this" range. I'm left wondering about runtime, and other intangibles... What are folks thoughts? Obviously there's no right and wrong here, just curious on your opinions...

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
I can really see where you're coming from.. I used to EDC two L1's at a time... I love the duel stage tailcap, and the form factor is pretty nice.. The clips are useful and beam/output is pretty good in stock form, let alone a Milky model.

I've seen an M-L1 in action, and it seems pretty great... Just the few things that bother me are the fact that you have to twist the tailcap to latch onto low or high... I know that I love the Ra Twisty and can tolerate the twisting action to change levels, however, on a torch like the L1 the little bit of effort it takes to go from momentary usage to latched is the one small qualm I have..

Now... Regards to the L1 or Clicky senario... I think that you've got your bases pretty well covered. The Nova is going to remain useful, and it has many of the same features that the Clicky will have. The differences being in the form factor/design, the other modes of output, and most of all, the runtime! 1 hour at 100 lumen? That's pretty darn good. Not to mention the burst output, which is likely to be a great addition to the functionality of the Clicky over the Nova.

Basically, despite having a Nova and Twisty, I hope you can afford to buy both the Clicky and M-L1. Both will serve a particular purpose and give you more carrying options for a particular task. If you had to just buy one light right this minute, I'd likely suggest you get the M-L1 first. That way you can get it out of your system. By then the Clickly will likely have begun shipping, and some reviews cropping up may reignite your desire to own another Ra.

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
As Hoople kind of suggested, the most correct answer would seem to be that you should get the style that you don't already have. You have most of the Clicky already, so do you want to pay for better build, longer runtime, and some additional refinements (I sure do, but I already have an L1), or would you rather have a light you don't already have at all?

I have a 120P and an L1 and I use both. Each has its strengths and weaknesses, each has situations it's preferable in. Either one could serve as an only light quite well, if necessary, but won't handle every one as well as the other might. Quite complementary. The NT I use as an edc, a versatile pocket light that can do anything I might ask of it; the L1 I use more as a task light.

Just the few things that bother me are the fact that you have to twist the tailcap to latch onto low or high... I know that I love the Ra Twisty and can tolerate the twisting action to change levels, however, on a torch like the L1 the little bit of effort it takes to go from momentary usage to latched is the one small qualm I have..
I view this as one of the strengths of the L1 switching mechanism, that it's not just a clicky like everything else. It's nice to be able to activate it and switch levels, in either momentary or latched, without making any clicking noise or stressful repetitive thumb movements. It also allows you to use the L1 underhanded.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dump the Novatac and get both. But get the ML1 first.