ARC AA Help!

BladeDogg

Newly Enlightened
My Arc AA died. Here is the story.

Brought it to NYC (from Hawaii). Didn't really use it on the trip (it was one of my many extras just in case :) ) I got back from the trip and the head wouldn't turn (it was in my suitcase). I had to use a pliers to remove the head. It kinda popped a little when I took the head off. I took out the old battery and put it back in. Didn't work. :ohgeez: Then I took out the old battery and put in a new one. Didn't work. Not even a flicker.

The LED looks aok but I don't know what happened. Is there something I can do before sending it to someone to fix? I have limited skills/tools to try and take the thing apart but I can try if I knew what to do.

MUCH thanks in advance for your help...:thanks:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The battery started to outgas/leak. The pop and tighness was due to internal pressure.

1st Try cleaning + and - contacts with a pencil eraser. Clean the threads with alcohol.

BladeDogg

Newly Enlightened
First of all, I hope it is not the board cracking.:faint:

Second, I will try the cleaning the contacts with a eraser and alcohol. THANKS! :thumbsup:

greenLED

Flashaholic
That "pop" could have been the board inside cracking.
Not at all! The boards/pill on the ArcAA are potted. It'd take somebody with a sledgehammer hitting a naked pill to do any real damage to the circuit.

Blade, do as cavedave advises and give the negative (bottom of battery tube) and positive (bottom of head) contacts a *thorough* cleaning. This may require you use a bit of alcohol and then a piece of really fine sand paper to clean the contacts. Rubbing a pencil eraser on the contacts and cleaning it repeatedly works just as well.

If that fails, then it's time to check the crimp on the pill, but I seriously doubt it'll get to that.

BladeDogg

Newly Enlightened
Well guess what! It worked! :twothumbs:

I took a paper towel and shot it with alcohol. Stuck it in the tube and turned it round and round. Got a Qtip and did the same with the head connection. Put a new battery in and VIOLA! :grin2:

AND THEN THERE IS LIGHT!:cool:

Thank you all! :thanks:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add some grease back to the threads and oring after cleaning or you could have issues from binding. I use Nyogel or pure silicone grease.

It would also be bennificial to get a good contact cleaner/treatment like Deoxit from 4sevens.com