Laser Devices

cruisemissile

Enlightened
humbly submitted for consideration for reviews forum*****

These are my two Laser Devices flashlights
OP-9 Operator (LED)
OP-6 Operator (Incan) note- I know this is an LED forum, wasn't sure what to do when comparing two of 'em.

As I'm a newbie, and I don't have alot of test equipment, I can't give alot of plots on draw, voltage, etc... like some of the more experience posters.
I also did not have alot of luck with "beamshot" pics- maybe its my digital camera, or maybe its the idiot trying to operate the camera thats at fault.
if any other readers can post beamshots or other comparisons of Laser Devices lights, I'd like to see them.
So, here's what I found about these flashlights:
both operate on CR123 batteries (Op-6 on 2, Op9 on 3 of em)

to me they feel very solid.
  • fit and finish- excellent, IMHO. machining, threads, etc.. all solid. even the switch mechanisms are very solid.
  • the texture is very grip-able. you are not going to let these slip out of your hands.
  • the design is very unique.what really got me was the switches. Although Laser Devices (hereon referred to simply as LD) makes a push button tailcap, I chose the toggle switch to have something a bit different in my pocket.
On the OP-6 incan,, I opted to go for a simple ON/OFF toggle. it does not have momentary.
OP-9 LED i went with a 3 way toggle- ON/OFF/Momentary.

I chose both with Glass lenses (it was a few bucks extra). You can get Lexan
  • Price- not cheap. the OP-9 in this configuration (LED, glass lens and 3 way toggle) retails for $220. I got it on internet discount sale off the manufacturer website for $154 plus shipping. If you go with other configuarions, the price gets a bit cheaper (lexan lens instead of glass, push button instead of toggle, incan vs led, etc..) In my opinion, there are other premium lights that may be a bit better value (such as the new Surefire with variable settings to save battery, etc..) If you search on the net for them, there's not alot of places that carry them which makes price-shopping a bit more limited. my OP6 retails for around $149 on manuf site, which is comparable to other sites (few and far between)
  • The run time- manufacturer claims that the LED can run for about 1.5 hours. Same for the OP6 incan. I have not tested.
  • beam color- the incan is a bit yellow. the LED is a bit crisper and whiter, perhaps a bit on the blue side. Compared to my Lumapower Incendio, which has a Cree LED, both LD's look a bit yellow.
  • The incan has a bit better throw but the LED is not bad for throw either, but has a bit of better spill.
  • both are claimed to be waterproof to 20 meters (60 feet)
  • brightness- manufacturer claims 150 lumens for both. my kid carried the OP9 last Halloween and got alot of "OUCH" from people who accidentally got the light in their eyes even from a distance. seems to diminish steadily (I wish I had test equipment so I could graph it)
  • suitability- good for pocket, carry, car, tactical use. both would make good weaponmounted lights. (especially since they don't have pocket clip or lanyard ring)
  • LED- I don't think the LED on the OP9 is CREE. I'm not sure who makes it (readers, any clue?)
OVERALL
PROS- excellent feel, fit and finish. waterproof to 60ft. cool design, really neat switches. I like having them in my collection. LD is a military supplier to quite a few organizations world-wide, you can tell by the solid feel, fit and finish. has quite a few accessories (tail caps, heads, etc...) you can choose (for handheld of weapon mounted purposes). It seems as though they focus on making most of their products for weapon mounted purposes (I guess military and police are pretty good clients)
CONS- pricey $$. run time could be better (even though its on par with some other tactical lights out there).
pics
** (L to R) op9 LED, mini mag with nite ize switch, op6 incan
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/jblotner1/squashlight001.jpg
** toggle switches, on left is OP9 with 3 way (on/off/momentary), on right is two way (ON/OFF) on my op6 http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/jblotner1/squashlight004.jpg
** there they are broken down- the pic below shows the incan assembly
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/jblotner1/squashlight005.jpg
**left to right, Pentagonlight L3 LED, Garrity 2AA steel, OP9 LED, mini mag with Nite Ize switch, Pentagonlight L2, Laser Devices OP6 incan, Lumapower Incendio w/ Cree, Fenix P1D-CE w Cree
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/jblotner1/squashlight003.jpg