You think it's ok to eat foods manufactured in China

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Co-workers and I enjoy dehydrated, healthy food snacks that come in a potato chip type bags from I think an American company. A friend looked at the fine print on the bag and discovered the product was made in China. Now she won't eat anymore because she says there has been tainted food from China and she doesn't want to take a chance. It kind of ruined the experience for all of us. Is it a legitimate concern to boycott food from China, especially something that's relatively non-perishable such as these fruit snacks?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a fan of Fenix and will occasionally try out DX and Kaidomain. However, I don't eat foods from mainland China because I can't judge their risks for myself so why take a chance. There are many better options available.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The main suspect right now is milk products. Chinese plants have been found to be adding melamine to the milk to boost the nitrogen content and thus the apparent protein level.

Milk products find thier way into a lot of foods including candies. There have already been a few instances of melamine-tainted candies found in the US, primarily at Asian marketplaces. Melamine is an industrial chemical used in the manufacturing of plastics.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main suspect right now is milk products. Chinese plants have been found to be adding melamine to the milk to boost the nitrogen content and thus the apparent protein level.

Milk products find thier way into a lot of foods including candies. There have already been a few instances of melamine-tainted candies found in the US, primarily at Asian marketplaces. Melamine is an industrial chemical used in the manufacturing of plastics.

The reason the melamine-tainted products are so dangerous to babies and animals (among other things) is because of a limited diet. A normal human diet is typically varied enough that you'll avoid any serious negative effects, thanks to the low concentration.

Needless to say, there shouldn't be any melamine in food products at all.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't anymore. I'd specifically state why, but then it'd have to go to the Underground.:crazy:

I was at my local Korean grocery store the other day and they were selling chocolate Moon Pies. They were a really good deal at $1.50 per box, and there was a huge stack of boxes. The owner insisted me and my buddies buy a few, but I took a closer look and they were made in China. Sure enough other people (not just myself) were avoiding it.

It's sad because I love Chinese manufactured candies and used to eat them all the time. Now I'm very cautious about where the food I buy is manufactured, and how.:popcorn:

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some Mexican coke the other day. I was really good. Kinda high priced. No corn syrup. Plain processed sugar. Tasted like the old formula from the seventies too. I went around singing the "It's the real thing" song. You know...I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony...

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some Mexican coke the other day. I was really good. Kinda high priced. No corn syrup. Plain processed sugar. Tasted like the old formula from the seventies too. I went around singing the "It's the real thing" song. You know...I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony...

[OT]Most Canadian and Mexican (or anywhere in the world except the states for that matter) pops are made with good old-fashioned cane sucrose. In fact right now I've got some Made in Mexico tangerine pop. It's not as good as the Canadian (I've had Briar's and it was very good), but mix in 1/3 part orange juice and it's delicious.[/OT]

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't drink hard liquor anymore but I would imagine a Jack and Coke made with one of these old formulas would bring back memories. They also had some stuff I hadn't seen in a while, old fashioned, Frosty root bear, Orange crush, Bubble Up etc. It was odd seeing those classic bottles.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
In general I don't eat any manufactured food anymore. Imported Chinese "junk food" is something that I've never been comfortable with to begin with. Is it safe? chances are better than 50/50 imo, personally I don't like those odds. :D

Is eating food in China safe? Yep as long as you're eating in the right places.

And I absolutely love Canadian and Mexican soda pop, though I only drink it on rare occasions. I won't consume anything with HFCF in it anymore; nasty stuff! I've considered making pop runs up to Canada in the past... the thought of "smuggling" real sugar pop into the US has a certain humor to it. But with gas prices and the useless use of gas in general for such a luxury I haven't brought myself to do it yet.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
This made me chuckle. :laughing:

Quoted from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Mandelson.
(For those of you who don't know, Mandleson is a high ranking Labour politician in the UK who's past crooked behaviour has given him a reputation...:thumbsdow)

"In 2008, adulterated milk caused kidney stones in tens of thousands of consumers. To show his confidence in Chinese dairy products, Mandelson drank a glass of Chinese milk in front of reporters.[23] Nine days later, he was hospitalized for a kidney stone."

LOL.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I won't knowing eat any foods from China. There just aren't enough controls or checks on their exports. Although it might not be a big deal to have irradiated steel on the pocket clip of your flashlight, I don't want to be consuming irradiated or or chemically tainted foods. Eeek!

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
This made me chuckle. :laughing:

Quoted from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Mandelson.
(For those of you who don't know, Mandleson is a high ranking Labour politician in the UK who's past crooked behaviour has given him a reputation...:thumbsdow)

"In 2008, adulterated milk caused kidney stones in tens of thousands of consumers. To show his confidence in Chinese dairy products, Mandelson drank a glass of Chinese milk in front of reporters.[23] Nine days later, he was hospitalized for a kidney stone."

LOL.

I did laugh a little bit after reading this.:grin2::laughing:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I steer clear if and when I can. Though I believe some of the foodstuffs made stateside can be worse...
I think I'll buy a few bags of Chinese snacks for my evil ex and the high school teacher who failed me in History...

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
meh, it's a shame to transport food all the way across the ocean here, a real waste of fuel from something that you can locally buy. I say support you local farmers.

Besides, less foreign demand means more Chinese people get to eat the food that they try to sell out of the country. Less hunger for them, less fuel used, less carbon foot print for everyone.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of you guys are way too paranoid, do you really think the stuff you eat everyday is really that much better? Wait till the media frenzy hit it.

Empath

Flashaholic
I noticed this news item this morning.

It was interesting that the melamine is being introduced indirectly to other foods by adding the melamine to feed grain and such. It looks like we need to envision anything that can be artificially doctored to appear as higher protein as being adulterated. That includes feed given to animals intended for meat.

How much melamine introduced indirectly is a hazard, I don't know.

Apparently, safeguards and regulations in the China market aren't yet sufficient or sufficiently monitored. International marketing should require every country involved in exporting to meet the same regulated safeguards that govern the domestic productions in the country importing the products.

Until there's evidence that China's exports meet the safety expectations available here, I can't consider it as safe. While I can't tell definitely where every bite of food I consume is from, the concern will be a part of my decision process.