Advice for modding 6P

MManley

Newly Enlightened
Hyssna, Västra Götaland, Sweden, Europe, Earth.
Hello Gents & Ladies.

I have a Surefire 6P Defender on the way and I'm going to mod it as soon as it arrives, I'm not completely sure with what though. :(

I do know I want a Malkoff M60(dont know which) and a two-stage clickie, one mode will be a restriction i some situations.

Also, do I need a fitting ring for the Malkoff?

This is my first Surefire btw. :)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You do not need the fitting ring.

The best value of the Malkoff line in my opinion is the M60L.
Brighter and runs longer than stock.

No it's not the brightest,
no it isn't the longest runtime,
and that's the beauty of it.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
How about getting both an M60 and an M60LL. Find what works best for how you use your 6P, then find the perfect host for the other unit.:)

tweeker

Newly Enlightened
I personally just got a 6p and a malkoff m60. The m60 is definatley way brighter, and lights up a whole room almost as bright as my overhead light does. I did however decide to keep the stock surefire led in there, because, in my personal opinion the extra brightness isnt really worth the trade off of runtime. I am a flashaholic noob, but the stock 6p is impressive to me. You get 11 hours out of a stock 6p, and only around 1 hour with the m60.

I guess your mods really depend on what you want out of the light though, runtime or output seems to be one of the major decisions.

If by fitting ring, you mean the small gap between the bezel and the body with the malkoff, its really not bad. The pictures I have seen on these forums are close up and make it look massive, but if I did decide to keep the m60 in my 6p, I wouldnt even worry about the gap, and I'm the type of person who would usually complain about any imperfection.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, good luck!

mdocod

Flashaholic
I personally just got a 6p and a malkoff m60. The m60 is definatley way brighter, and lights up a whole room almost as bright as my overhead light does. I did however decide to keep the stock surefire led in there, because, in my personal opinion the extra brightness isnt really worth the trade off of runtime. I am a flashaholic noob, but the stock 6p is impressive to me. You get 11 hours out of a stock 6p, and only around 1 hour with the m60.

I guess your mods really depend on what you want out of the light though, runtime or output seems to be one of the major decisions.

If by fitting ring, you mean the small gap between the bezel and the body with the malkoff, its really not bad. The pictures I have seen on these forums are close up and make it look massive, but if I did decide to keep the m60 in my 6p, I wouldnt even worry about the gap, and I'm the type of person who would usually complain about any imperfection.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, good luck!

I assume you are talking about the 6P LED, and not the standard incandescent 6P.

The advertised 11 hour runtime is totally false unfortunately. SureFire used to be very reputable when it came to runtime and output ratings, but with the P60L, all of that reputation went into the septic system

it runs for a few hours at full output on a pair of CR123s, and then starts to drop off in output. The 11 hour runtime is at which point the output is measured at about 1 lumen. By that same standard, you could say it runs for 20 hours, or 50 hours, or probably a month, if you just kept diminishing the standard by which you consider it "still running."

A MalkOff M60L is much better than a P60L in many respects. More output, better regulated runtime, overall just more efficient.

Eric

MDNY

Newly Enlightened
SF customer service provided some interesting info on the 6PL, in response to my question about what appears to be fairly poor regulation for a "tactical" light:

The unit is rated to deliver 80 lumens for about 10 - 15 minutes on fresh CR123As. It will then deliver about 60 - 65 lumens for about 2 - 2.5 hours, followed by gradual (?) decline to about 1 lumen at the 11-hour mark.

Would like to see a side-by-side runtime/lumens/lux plot for the stock 6PL vs. Malkoff M60L, but coming up empty in searches for this.

Dave Keith

Newly Enlightened
The Malkoff drop-in and clickie tail switch seem to be a given, and I love mine. What I've found unexpectedly useful is the "combat ring" as an alternative to a lanyard. For me, it makes the flashlight easier to grab, easier to hold on to, and even helpful to use with a handgun (its apparent intended purpose.)

I have a lanyard on the way to me that I intend to try in place of/in addition to the combat ring, so all the results aren't in yet for me. As they always say, though, your mileage may vary.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Pardon my ignorance... there's a 2-stage clicky for the 6P?

The only 2-stage tailcap I have seen is the sandwiche shoppe modded ones, but they are momentary/twist/lock out.

:eek:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Word of advice - if you get a M60, you can easily convert to a floodlight with a diffuser. If you get an M60F, you can't collimate it with scotch tape.

I'm gonna +1 the idea for the combatring, I've got one installed backwards on my 6p tailcap, and it's made the thing so much easier to hold... totally worth it.

Two mode clickies are hard - closest I've seen are the LightSaver tailcap, which feature PWM soft-start and strobing and are only really good for incans - some LED regulator boards choke on PWM input. Two mode twisties are easy - get the McC2s switch and (you'll need to buy a lockout tailcap to host this mod) put the guts into a stock tailcap. Voila - A2 style mode switching on a Malkoff. Grapevine says about 15 lumens on low with the 60-ohm resistor. I'll be getting one for Christmas if the mood strikes.