LED tactical pistol light?

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone produce a LED pistol mounted light as small as the Insight X2 but with the runtime and brightness (or close to it) of the Streamlight TLR-1 (135 lumens for 2.5 hours)? To be honest there doesn't seem to be a lot of LED weapons lights out there that are as efficient/bright as some of the hightech handheld lights like the Fenix Q5 or Nitecore lights is there? Why do weapon's lights almost always use 123CR batteries, but won't handle rechargeables? Looking at my LOD Q4, I also wonder why no tactical lights exist that use a couple AAA NIMH or Lithium cells, I would think you could make a REALLY small light using them and the same technology found in the latest LOD's. Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there's anything else as small as an Insight X2.
I've begun drawing up a CR2-based weaponlight for similar sized mini-rails.

Sabre

Newly Enlightened
Why do weapon's lights almost always use 123CR batteries, but won't handle rechargeables?

I'll take a stab at this one:

Tactical lights are generally only used for very short periods of time, so long run-time is not a concern. On the same note, consuming lots of $$ worth of batteries is not a concern so there is no need for a rechargeable option. It's also very easy to drop in fresh primary cells. It's tactically inconvenient to have to re-charge your light.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sitting unused for most of their life but ready to go without leaking all over your expensive flashlight strapped to a handgun is also a very good reason for lithium, non rechargeable batteries.

I found that I would rather have the lasergrips laser along the side of the slide, wrapped around hand grip so it doesn't interfere with holstering and simply go with an independent tactical flashlight anyway.

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
for me the best is a TLR1 or TLR2 moded With SSCP4 ( thanks icarus for these mods) :twothumbs

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Let's hope Insight upgrades their X2 to LED. They have a 2 new LED flashlights and the XTI Procyon LED weapon-light out now. Perhaps soon . . .

Sabre

Newly Enlightened
And maybe the prevalence of incan. lights rather than LED has something to do with the incans better color rendition? (whether real or perceived)

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
The warmer temperature light that incans put out is the reason for better color rendition. I have a couple of nice warm LED lights that are both bright and give a nice beam color. They are just not the norm.

My correspondence with Insight tells me they have no plans for an LED version of the X2. Bummer.

byron8

Newly Enlightened
I have the x2 and TLR1. The X2 is the only light that can fit with the compact autos like the Taurus 145 pro millineum. The TLR1 cannot even slide in as too big. the x2 got big time problem of not bright enough. TLR1 is good for bigger autos but got big time problems also. At the range was shooting and suddenly light went dead after couple shots. Fooling with switch did nothing, totally dead. Couple shots later turned back on. I am sending back to factory. I am waiting to throw my X2 out as soon as they got same size cree led light for compact pistols. Seems to be a big market and don't know why noone makes LED compact light.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
I am sure someone will eventually make one. Or maybe the market for sub-compact lights is not that big. These guns are not usually primary guns for duty or home defense. As such, the need for an attached light is minimal -- to most people.