Husky 2D 4Watt LED REVIEW! Compared To Taskforce 2C

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
***For some reason I wasn't able to start a new thread in the review section, so that's why I put this up here. If a mod could move it that would be great!***

This is a review of the Husky 2D 4Watt LED Tactical Flashlight from Home Depot. Most people are paying $25 for it, but for whatever reason it was priced at $30 at my Home Depot, and the clerks couldn't be budged, so that is what I paid. If you want to call ahead to make sure your Home Depot has it in stock, the product number is 626 731.
There has been a lot of buzz about this light because of the high output and great throw, and the buzz is definitely warranted. There have also been arguments as to what light is brighter, the Husky 2D from Home Depot, or the Taskforce 2C from Lowe's. This review will end the argument.
I want to point out that this light suffers from poor quality control. I had my wife pick out the first two that I owned (and have since returned) and both of them had emitters that were so far off center it was comical. You should really make sure that the emitter is centered as good as possible, because an off center emitter in this light will greatly decrease throw! Now onto the review!

IMG_2053small.jpg

Husky 2D 4 Watt LED Tactical Flashlight
Body
The Husky 2D 4Watt LED Tactical Flashlight (Husky from now on) is made out of machined aluminum. It has an all black body and a huge silver head. The body has some knurling in the middle and a nice sturdy base so that the light can tail stand very firmly. It uses a forward side clickie, which means that if you tap the clickie lightly it comes on momentarily, and if you click it down all the way it stays on constantly. This is the same style clickie as used in all the large Maglites.

Head
The head of the light is all silver. It houses a very large (most likely plastic) reflector, and a plastic lens. The end of the head has some nice crenulations so that light escapes when the light is placed head down, and to cause some serious damage if you were to ever have to use this light as a weapon.

Size/Weight
This is a pretty damn big flashlight! It is larger around than a D cell Maglite and weighs in at 24.6 ounces with alkaline batteries installed.

IMG_2051small.jpg

3D Maglite,Rayovac 3C,Husky 2D,Taskforce 2C,2AA Minimag

Output
The output from this light is some of the most impressive I've seen from any retail purchased flashlight. The beam has a large and very bright flood, and an extremely intense hotspot! It does have some rings around the hotspot, but in real world use they aren't distracting. The packaging claims "up to 200 lumens", but as we all know companies like to exaggeratte a little bit. Here are the readings I got on my lux meter and lightbox:

(Both Lights are using brand new Rayovac Alkaline batteries for this test)

Husky 2D
141 lumens
16,130 Lux

Taskforce 2C
113 Lumens
6,330 Lux

As you can see the Husky completely crushes the Taskforce in throw, and gives it a good beating in overall output as well. The lumen rating is the out the front lumens (not bulb lumens) for both lights, and the lux readings are a bit low if anything.

Runtime
No specific runtime is claimed on the packaging, and I don't have any way of testing it myself, so I really can't say for sure.

Beamshots
Now I can finally end the debate as to what light is brighter, the Taskforce 2C of the Husky 2D. I think these pictures should do the talking.

IMG_2040small.jpg

Taskforce 2c

IMG_2098small.jpg

NEW Taskforce 2C

IMG_2044small.jpg

Husky 2D

IMG_2041small.jpg

Taskforce 2C 1/25

IMG_2099small.jpg

NEW Taskforce 2C

IMG_2046small.jpg

Husky 2D 1/25

Pros
Insane throw!
Great spill
Forward clickie
Cheap

Cons
Poor quality control
Plastic lens
No place to attach a lanyard

Conclusion
Overall I think this is a great light and really sets the standard for bang for your buck in a retail store. It would be a great gift for anyone who is used to using a large Maglite and needs to get into the 21st century and into LED's. Be sure to grab a few of these and pick the very best one with the most centered LED, because in this light that REALLY matters!

UPDATE 11/11
There had been some talk on here about a new emitter Task Force 2C that was insanely bright and blew away the old version. I was able to pick one up over the weekend and take some beamshots for comparison. I added them to the above pictures. The new emitter Task Force (which uses a silver backed Cree) is actually less bright than the old version.

Last edited:

tarponbill

Newly Enlightened
Great review, answers a lot of questions, like why I can't find them around here in stock.

Did you ever figure out if the latest Task Force has a brighter LED or is it just rumor. My year old one has a very small LED pill.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review.

As of a few weeks ago, only admins can start a thread in the Review section. What they do is move some reviews from other forums to the Review thread. IIRC, this was to cut down on the number of duplicate reviews.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Great review, answers a lot of questions, like why I can't find them around here in stock.

Did you ever figure out if the latest Task Force has a brighter LED or is it just rumor. My year old one has a very small LED pill."

Thanks a lot. I added the item number to my review so that you can call ahead and see if they have them in stock. They very well may be in a box above the flashlight section and haven't been displayed yet. The item number is 626 731.

I haven't been able to get to a Lowe's to buy the new Taskforce. Until I see some proof I don't even believe it exists.

"Thanks for the review.

As of a few weeks ago, only admins can start a thread in the Review section. What they do is move some reviews from other forums to the Review thread. IIRC, this was to cut down on the number of duplicate reviews."

No problem, I'm glad you like it. Oh I see. I had no idea what was going on and was wondering if I was somehow in trouble or something since I've posted many reviews in the past. It makes sense in a way, and I'm guessing is a result of the Fenix Tk10 madness. :laughing:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took photos of my TF and the Husky beams indoors a week ago, and the Husky did not look much brighter, but to the naked eye, it blows it away. It may have had something to do with my camera settings. Your indoor photos look like mine did. There may be a new version of the TF out, but until somebody proves it, I am not buying another one. I am not a big fan of the one I have anyway. The beam does not have enough spill for my tastes.

Mike

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words.
In terms of overall output the Husky is only around 28 lumens brighter, but the throw is substantially more. It also appears much brighter in person because of the better beam profile.
Until something new comes around this is the best bang for your buck on the market!

green814

Newly Enlightened
As mentioned. I wish my TF had a little more floody hot spot, but other wise I am happy with it. But that new Husky is HUGE!!!!

Thank you for the comparison! Any chance for some outside shots?

Chris

virtualbeing

Newly Enlightened
not to hip on cross referencing...esp my own post. but this was relevant to the husky.

"i did my peek down the street thing with a few of my lights on my signature. I could see further and brighter with the $25 husky 2D light. I know the shape of the reflector plays a role in this. but it provided the tightest further reaching beam. and still has some flood as some of you guys know. "

this light is total supremacy for the dollar! :xyxgun: LOL

for the $25 it is worth getting 4 just because! LOL

here is my link if anyone is interested. sorry bout the cross ref. but this light deserves the attention :twothumbs https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2677388#post2677388

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
As mentioned. I wish my TF had a little more floody hot spot, but other wise I am happy with it. But that new Husky is HUGE!!!!

Thank you for the comparison! Any chance for some outside shots?

Chris

The hotspot on the Husky is much smaller/tighter than the Taskforce. If what you're looking for is flood then this light is not for you.
The Husky is truly massive! It makes the Taskforce feel really really small.

I'll take some outdoor shots tomorrow night as long as it's nice outside.

Hellbore

Enlightened
Yeah for the price, the performance of this light is quite impressive.

When i bought one it instantly became the brightest of my lights, and was only beaten after I purchased an SSC P7 based light hehe...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As of a few weeks ago, only admins can start a thread in the Review section. What they do is move some reviews from other forums to the Review thread. IIRC, this was to cut down on the number of duplicate reviews.

More like a few months ago. Great expectations for the Fenix TK10 before it was released. Some CPFers got their hands on early samples. When the light was released, Reviews section got flooded with multiple threads from those who got a TK10 early. That caused the new restrictions on the Reviews sub-forum to be put into place.

danielo_d

Enlightened
I'm bummed. I went to the HD near my house on Saturday, they had none. [Didn't check with staff using the UPC or product code.]
I went to the HD near my work today - Monday. Again, none found. [And again, I didn't check with any staff.]
I was hoping to get one for walking with the daughter [7yr old] on Halloween.

So, to appease my hunger, I got the Husky 3W Cree powered by 3AAA. Bright little sucker but not so sure of the lacking power source.
I will try again for the 2D 4W. But this time ask the staff to look up the UPC or Product code so I can try out the beast.

Hellbore

Enlightened
I'm bummed. I went to the HD near my house on Saturday, they had none. [Didn't check with staff using the UPC or product code.]
I went to the HD near my work today - Monday. Again, none found. [And again, I didn't check with any staff.]
I was hoping to get one for walking with the daughter [7yr old] on Halloween.

So, to appease my hunger, I got the Husky 3W Cree powered by 3AAA. Bright little sucker but not so sure of the lacking power source.
I will try again for the 2D 4W. But this time ask the staff to look up the UPC or Product code so I can try out the beast.

That sucks. It's best if you can find a HD with several in stock so you can rifle through them and hopefully find one with a centered emitter. Makes a HUGE difference. It really makes the light special when the emitter is centered.

virtualbeing

Newly Enlightened

yesireee. that little thing has some pow! actualy it is a little bulky. i have yet to put it next to my "premium" lights on my sig line. i did put it against the coast 3AAA and the husky prevailed. go figure.:duh2:

i found that smaller husky to be too big for EDC also, but perfect for the glove box. whatever is going on, these husky's got some bang!

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, after going on a mini wild goose chase around the south part of town, I was able to get my hands on one of these flashlights...beam is UGLY, but does look like it's quite a thrower. I'm not a white wall hunter, but I can say I've seen a better SMO reflectored Cree beam...the Tiablo A9 comes to mind as having a fairly smooth, but ringy beam. Like other China made flashlights, the plastic lens on mine has some smudging and scratches on it...guess the QC could use some more improvement there. I tried unscrewing the head, but it appears to be thread locked. If anyone ever gets one apart to mod or upgrade, I'd like to hear about it.

Hellbore

Enlightened
FYI, it's not even confirmed that there ARE threads between the head and the body. At the moment it's a mystery because nobody has been able to remove the head from the body yet.

They might just be burly threads full of red Loctite or glue or something, or for all we know, the head of the light might be press-fit into the body! (very possible with aluminum)

danielo_d

Enlightened
Ok, after going on a mini wild goose chase around the south part of town, I was able to get my hands on one of these flashlights...

Ace, which HD did you find em? I was at the store off Laguna, then the HD in Rancho Cordova earlier today.
I needs to try one out if ya know what I mean. This thread is egging me on!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ace, which HD did you find em? I was at the store off Laguna, then the HD in Rancho Cordova earlier today.
I needs to try one out if ya know what I mean. This thread is egging me on!

Call around to make sure the store has them before you waste your time going on a wild goose chase. You can just call and give them the number and they will tell you if they have any in stock.

The item number is 626 731.