Help for Roy, he still can't access CPF.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help for Roy, he still can\'t access CPF.

Roy still can't get onto CPF as of 9:26 P tonight. He has a post at Darksbanes forums in the general section, under: What is "cache"?

It reads:
[ QUOTE ]
Roy said
Still having trouble getting into CPF. They keep saying to empty the cache. What is cache and where do I find it? I'm using XP Pro. IE7.

[/ QUOTE ]

I run 98SE, and IE 5, so I don't know the specifics of his OS and browser. Can one of you who is good with software help him out? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif
It seems that he is the last, or one of the last regulars to be stuck in limbo. It must be extremely frustrating. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Here is a shortcut to his member profile at CPF, for his email address. Roy

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help for Roy, he still can\'t access CPF.

I wish I could help shankus but I am a Mac user and found my cache by trial and error, it was located by opening "Edit" in my tool bar, clicking on "Preferences", a window appeared with files and I clicked "Web Browser" in the margin and then a wierd margin subfile just labeled "Advanced", opening that accessed my cache and then I clicked the "Empty Now" button and viola.

Wish I could be more help, and I admire your rendering assistance to a fellow CPFer in need! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Hope someone more computer literate than I happens into this?

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm sure someone will. I have confidence in us as a group. I posted a link to this thread in the "questions or problems with this forum" section, hopefully to expedite any assistance he could get, if any.
It may just be a waiting game for him. Perhaps he has a crappy ISP. I don't even know enough about it, but, could all of this cache stuff be his ISP? Perhaps a plea to his ISP to reset their cache would fix it.
I feel really bad for him though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

Shankus... all I know is what I and others have already posted in the other threads. I checked his IP and it looks to be one that is not a "major" one so perhaps they haven't refreshed their cache yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif ... He's running DSL though so one would think that would be an advantage... unless of course, it's static DSL as opposed to dynamic... in which case... he has to wait it out. I wish I could tell you more... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I read a post where someone said that some ISP's only reset their caches once every 3 or so days JEEZ, I hope it's not that bad for Roy!!!

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, then it seems it's just one more day for those caches.

Greta

Flashaholic

I don't think Roy needs to worry about clearing the cache on his computer. The whole purpose of using that link that I posted on http://www.candlepowerforums.com in the "Enter Forums" button was to effectively reset the cache for CPF on everyone's computer. That link is the direct IP into CPF. If Roy just clicks on that, then he'll be set to click on the "login" button and should be automatically logged in. If he has cleared his CPF cookies from his cookie file, that's it. There's nothing else to be done. At this point, it is a server issue with HIS server. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I understand that it is his server. I thought that perhaps since all of us were back on CPF, that perhaps it was his cache or cookie mucking things up.
But he says he has cleaned all that up, so perhaps he just has a particularly "slow" ISP.

I passed on the info you posted to him at Darksbane.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

it took 24 hrs for my isp(dayton.net)to purge the cache .
i was getting we cannot proceed all required fields are not filled in.i knew my login and pass were right.fixed itself overnight.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

For IE, the cache is Temporary Internet Files, under the Windows directory (unless he moved them elsewhere: unlikely).

He can clear them out with Internet Options (control panel). Hope it is the same for XP as it is for 98se for this.

I went through clearing cache and all that, even used konquerer (kde linux), which I never use for internet, and could not get in, until my server's cache got updated.

Roy may have to bite the bullet, and wait it out, while suffering panic, Delerium Tremens, profuse sweating, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

He sent me mail asking for help. I just gave instructions on how to clear the complete cache:

If using IE, go to Tools, Options... in the menus. A dialog box will pop up. Click on the Settings button. Another dialog will pop up. Click on the View Files button. A new window will open. This is your IE cache and cookies. You should see a bunch of .txt files there if you look around. Those are your cookies. Delete everything. Close the window, then close the 2 dialog boxes.

These instructions don't require you to know the location of the cache files - the button in the IE dialog opens the folder for you.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I\'m in! Thanks!

This reply is just a figment of your imagination! I'm not really here. Thanks for all the help and support!