SF 6P modding

jeppe

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've got a G&P R12 light (typical 6P copy), running of either 3 x 3v or 3 x 3,7v rechargeable.

I bought a Solar force (Probably horrible china quality) Q5 lamp for it, but it doesn't benefit from using 3,7v cells the same way the R12 lamp does, and i found out that i can still see better with the R12 lamp on 3,7V cells.

So my question is:
What can i do to a 3x3,7v SF 6P copy, to make it have a more powerful output?
Also, is it possible to get double reflectors in this size, or something else that'll make a narrow beam/eliminate beam circles?

It's a gun mounted light, so it won't see much continued use.

jeppe

Newly Enlightened
Well, it's a copy of the 6P design (ok, 9P), so it uses the same parts. I thought it was a bit easier to work with than "obscure copy manufactors name" light...

mdocod

Flashaholic
if it's a 9P replica, and you don't give a flying crap about runtime, then your brightest option will be as follows without moving up to a tubohead:

1. Order a D26 bi-pin adapter from FiveMega from the BST section of this website.
2. Order a 22W axial filament T1.5 bulb from that same sales thread.
3. Order 3 IMR16340 3.7V LiMn chemistry RCR123s from AW.
4. Put it all together.

Runtime will be 10 minutes, maybe a little more, output should be over 400 torch lumen on fresh cells.

The next step is the same cells, same body, but install a KT2 turbohead, a FM bi-pin to MN socket, and a WA1185 lamp. Runtime will be more like 6 minutes, and output will be something like 900 torch lumen.

There are some more options on the horizon (I'm not at liberty to talk about them) but this is the brightest option available now.

LED modules like that solarforce, are regulated, so they are going to run at the same output regardless of whether you drive them with 5V or 13V. The advantage to the LED modules is massively extended runtime as compared to incan setups. I personally find that the ~200 lumen category of modern LED drop-ins is more than enough for 90% of my needs. I bust out more powerful incans rarely, but they are handy when you absolutely must have a ridiculous amount of light.

Enjoy.

jeppe

Newly Enlightened
Would it be possible to buy a complete ready-to-use head from FM?

VLOP, MOP etc....huh? What kind should i get?

Last edited: