First Post: Best LED Out There Under $75

McSoappy

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys first post here. A bit of background. Used to be super into outdoors stuff and really fell out of it for a while.....whelp, I'm back into it now.

Just recently bought a Chris Reeve Sebenza, and am looking for a good quality LED to accompany me.

So here's the specifics to the question:

Something that will fit reasonably comfortably in my jeans pocket.
Batteries really don't matter to me AA or 123's either are okay.

Let me say that I know that this is a fairly subjective question, I'm just looking to start my research and seeing if there are any certain brand names or models that get mentioned more than others! Thanks very much for any and all feedback!

Great to be here!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Be tough to get an LED of high enough quality to be worthy of pairing up with a Sebenza for $75.

But that is only my opinion and I am sure someone on this board will be able to suggest something nice. My high opinion of the Sebenza is just blinding my judgement at the moment. Tomorrow I may have something proper to suggest to you, but just not at this moment.

Then again.............................................

First thought is perhaps an EX10 since your OP sounds like, but does not state, you want a 1 cell light.

If a 2 cell sized light is acceptable then perhaps you may be persuaded into the realm of rechargable Li-ion's and try out a new Lumapower light that seems VERY pocketable.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy McSoappy, and welcome to CPF!
Some things to consider during your search.

1. More of a general purpose light, or do you have a specific task in mind?
2. More floody (for close-medium distance), or more of a thrower for spotting things at a distance easily, or a good combination of both?
3. Does it need to accept rechargeable batteries (for everyday use, or merely occasion use)?
4. One level or multiple levels?
5. If multiple levels, does it make a difference to you which level turns on first...... low or high (user interface)?
6. Clicky switch or twisty, or possibly a side mounted push button?
7. Tail standable for use on a table as a lantern?
8. How important is water resistance?

Besides our excellent review area here on CPF, here a few other review sites:

http://www.cpfreviews.com/
http://www.light-reviews.com/

Have fun!

Toaster

Enlightened
If general outdoor use is your primary concern, it's hard to beat a Fenix TK11 at that price point. Lots of info on this great light if you search through the forum.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Sgt LED's recommendation of that new LumaPower Encore is really looking like a great recommendation for an introduction into good quality high power LEDs at a reasonable price. I wasn't even aware of that flashlight (it's a brand new thing from what I can tell), but my first impressions of the specs are good. It appears to be one of the first 1x18650 powered pocket-rockets that has been designed with a more conservative drive level on high, which means more practical runtime figures while still having great output. It should maintain reasonably regulated output on all levels on any configuration of batteries loaded into it (1x18650, 2xCR123, or 2xRCR123) as a result of it's more conservative drive level (which corresponds to a lower voltage requirement at the LED). In my experience, the difference between a modern cree emitter at ~0.6A compared with 1A(found on many lights) is negligible in actual use, it's bright either way. I think the runtime would actually be better than advertised based on my math.

Eric

mikes1

Enlightened
I think it really depends on what Sebenza you have here is one posable combo

Twisty035.jpg

TK11 would be a good choice

Mike

McSoappy

Newly Enlightened
1. More of a general purpose light (starter light).
2. Probably more floody, but maybe a touch of long distance.
3. Rechargeable batteries aren't a necessary, nor is battery type.
4. Multiple levels would be great.
5. Doesn't make a difference which turns on first.
6. Would prefer a light with clicky switch on the back.
7. Tail standable would be nice, but not immediately necessary.
8. Water resistance isn't super important.

This will kinda be my introduction into a good light (LED as well). Not looking for one that's going to to an specific job, just a nice all around light (looking nice wouldn't be a problem either:D)

Thanks very much for all the responses so far guys!

Howdy McSoappy, and welcome to CPF!
Some things to consider during your search.

1. More of a general purpose light, or do you have a specific task in mind?
2. More floody (for close-medium distance), or more of a thrower for spotting things at a distance easily, or a good combination of both?
3. Does it need to accept rechargeable batteries (for everyday use, or merely occasion use)?
4. One level or multiple levels?
5. If multiple levels, does it make a difference to you which level turns on first...... low or high (user interface)?
6. Clicky switch or twisty, or possibly a side mounted push button?
7. Tail standable for use on a table as a lantern?
8. How important is water resistance?

Besides our excellent review area here on CPF, here a few other review sites:

http://www.cpfreviews.com/
http://www.light-reviews.com/

Have fun!

McSoappy

Newly Enlightened
Beautiful Damascus blade man! What are those inlays?

Also what kinda light is that by your Sebenza? Doesn't really look like a TK11.

I think it really depends on what Sebenza you have here is one posable combo

Twisty035.jpg

TK11 would be a good choice

Mike

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
A word of warning on multiple levels. Many of them come with strobe and SOS.
Fenix has set theirs up so you never get to them if you do not need them but many other manufacturers forces you to cycle through them when changing modes. Very annoying.

I find most 1AA clicky lights too long to sit comfortably sideways in a jeans pocket. The lack of pocket clips prevents them from sitting vertically. The only current 1AA light I would consider pocketable is the Nitecore D10.
If you do not mind belt carry the choices available is huge.

AAA lights fit into pockets more comfortably but the only 2 good ones (Fenix L0DQ4/LD01 and Liteflux LF2X) are twisties. Maybe a L0D head on a Streamlight Microstream body.
The main problem with AAA lights is lack of runtime especially on high.

Don't have any CR123A lights so cannot comment.

I find a Fenix P3D too big for my jeans pockets let alone a TK11. Now how did a TK11 make it into a thread with "Something that will fit reasonably comfortably in my jeans pocket." in the OP?

BobP

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at www.dereelight.com products. They just introduced their R123 product, which has 4 power modes, has great spill, is very pocketable and they are working on a ramp up power mode vs. their present ramp down power mode. They are now available with the R2 LED, the finish is a very attractive hard anodize; the finish and workmanship is very good.

They just added a US distributor that is very hands-on and responsive (as was Alan at the factory), so you really can't go wrong with their products. They have a very strong following in this forum. Investigate the Dealer's Corner for more info -- I think this will suit you well. The CL1H is also a very nice package (just got mine), but is running at $85.

Hope this helps.....

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Save some more money a buy yourself a Novatac

sebbie.jpg

Heres my Novatac with a 17670 tube.
As you can see it quite color coordinated :D

mikes1

Enlightened
I now feel I have been no help what so ever :ohgeez: I think I was trying to indicate that a Sebenza deserves better than a $75 light
The light pictured is an Arc Mania Extreme II The Sebie has African black wood with gold inlays

Mike

roymail

Enlightened
mikes1, thanks for the info about your Arc Mania Extreme II. Really nice light and Sebenza. That Sebbie is too nice to carry and use at least for me. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have it but would only use it open letters or peel an apple (maybe). Gorgeous knife!

McSoappy, my bad! That Sebenza got me confused... :naughty:

McSoappy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info man. I Google'd that light and can't seem to find one that looks exactly like yours. Got a link for more information? Also, how much do they run?

I now feel I have been no help what so ever :ohgeez: I think I was trying to indicate that a Sebenza deserves better than a $75 light
The light pictured is an Arc Mania Extreme II The Sebie has African black wood with gold inlays

Mike

McSoappy

Newly Enlightened