Pila Q5 LED Drop in module REVIEW

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila Cree Q5 LED Emitter
Approximately a year after the initial release of the Cree LED emitter for the Pila GL2/3 models, they followed it up with updated versions. The P4 edition has upped the ante to 180 lumens and is the direct replacement for the original 120 lumen one. This optional Q5 emitter however is rocking a whopping 250 lumens and takes top billing in Pila's line as far as LED modules go.

Meat and Potatoes
At first glance this module is externally completely identical to the older version, as you can see in the pictures. The only visible difference from the exterior is the Q5 label on the side. I believe that I am completely safe in saying there have been no updates to this module other than improving bin code for the LED used and therefor increasing it's efficiency. The focus remains quite nice, as it was previously, and usability is also unaffected. Just as in the previous version, this module can also be used with the Pila CODEX module allowing full customization of the output, both brightness levels and even signaling and strobing effects.

When I first dropped this module into my Pila GL2 I once again was reminded of the beautiful spread of this beam pattern. The hotspot is fairly well defined but there is such a fantastic spillbeam that keeps the light useful even at close distances. I am able to use this light both up close during daylight hours and at medium distances at night. This light does quite well lighting up objects ~50 yards down the street.
I don't know if it is typical for this unit but it is worth noticing that the color is a lot warmer in tone (translating to an actual cooler color temp when defined in degrees Kelvin) than it's 120 lumen sibling. My original module has a definite purplish hue to it when compared to nearly any of my other lights. This one is much nearer to white when viewed with the naked eye, tending even a little toward the yellow and as such, beginning to compete with the desirable warmth of an incandescent.

Constructive Criticism
While this light is undoubtedly well constructed, and also extremely efficient, the first thing that I noticed about it was the lack of a clearly defined difference as far as brightness goes over the previous version. The Q5 LED module is the brightest light currently in my arsenal, but not by as wide of a margin as I would have expected given the discrepancy in the stated levels.

I generally try to stay away from beamshots with my reviews, but I felt that it was necessary in this case. As the camera verifies, the Q5 LED is definitely the brighter of the two, however in actual use the difference is difficult to decipher. I had to drop the original 120 lumen module into my Brinkmann Maxfire LX in order to view the two of them side by side before I could make a determination that the new version was in fact an improvement.

I believe that the reason behind this is in fact the lack of a redesign between the two versions. Given the massive brightness this reflector offers in the spillbeam , much of the brightness increase seems to be in that region as well. Only a small portion of the jump manifests itself in the central spot of the light giving you only minor gains in overall perceived brightness. This does make the light fabulously useful at middle to close ranges, but I was somewhat expecting more wow factor.

Secondly, I am not convinced personally that the regulation is as good as it could get on this light. I know that according to Pila's specifications this module only has perfectly flat regulation when used with 2x Pila 300P cells. I would like to see a flatter discharge curve also with either 1x Pila 600P or 2x CR123A cells. Even if it doesn't hold 100% constant until the moment of shutoff, I would like to see more consistency up until a "moon mode" at the very end with just enough light to find more power. I think in today's competitive flashlight market this is something that even the average consumer is looking for. Since Pila's focus is on professionals and security minded people, I would imagine that completely predictable output should exist every single time the switch is activated.

Conclusions
My concerns aside, this is still an excellent quality product. The construction is superb and in spite of the relatively little increase, the output is still monstrous. This module definitely lives up to the Pila branding when durability is in question. I carry this light on a daily basis in an industrial setting. There have been a number of occasions where it has met an unfortunate encounter with the concrete and I have yet to be given any occasion to doubt it's reliability.

In all, I would not hesitate to recommend a Pila LED drop-in to even my closest friends, though depending on available pricing, I might suggest the P4 180 lumen module is a better buy given the modest increases available from the top of the line model.

main.php

main.php

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
VERY nice review. Thanks for taking the time to write & post it, and thanks for including the always appreciated beamshot.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem. I always try to give a complete picture whenever I review a product. In this case the beamshot was necessary. Most of the time even though I like to see them personally, they don't really tell the story.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
well done, I am considering a drop in for a 6P/WE Sniper, Thanks!

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review AardvarkSagus!:twothumbs

I agree on the lack of clearly defined difference. At first I couldn't tell much difference between the first Cree LA and the Q5, that maybe Pila had mistakenly mislabled mine as the 120 lumen Cree. I guess the design and the fact human eyes don't perceive lumens linearly gives the Q5 less "wow" factor. It's still incredibly bright though, and I absolutely love it. Until I can afford more Pila incan bulbs I'm sticking to the Q5.

I'm still waiting on Flaslight News' Q5 review.:popcorn:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually wrote to Pila at first about it since all I had to test it with off the bat was 2x CR123A and a bunch of likely dead laptop 18650's. Those things seem to hold a charge but I suspect that they can't handle a load. I need to get either a Pila 600P or an AW 18650 and try it that way. With the 18650 in the GL2 it was noticeably dimmer than the 120 Lumen module on primaries.

(p.s. if anyone wants the laptop batteries hit me with a PM and we can work out a trade...)

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
I believe that I am completely safe in saying there have been no updates to this module other than improving bin code for the LED used and therefor increasing it's efficiency.
Secondly, I am not convinced personally that the regulation is as good as it could get on this light. I know that according to Pila's specifications this module only has perfectly flat regulation when used with 2x Pila 300P cells. I would like to see a flatter discharge curve also with either 1x Pila 600P or 2x CR123A cells.

No matter what Pila says, this is how module actually performs.
Updating LED hasn´t change this, right?

This is why i prefer nowadays lights/modules with voltage range up to 6 volts.
Higher output and better regulation with single 3.7v li-ion.

I bought Pila GL2 2 years ago, i used luxeon led and xenons and it was then the best to me, but things change ;)
I also prefer Type III finishing. Pila is built like tank, but after year of use it looked like it has gone through world war II :D

Btw, anyone anymore interested to buy that luxeon module from me?

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'd say that's about right for the output graphs. Interesting to note however in regards to using 2x RCR123A:

Pila official said:
I strongly recommend not using batteries from laptops or rechargeable CR123R (the later will most likely damage the circuit and we decline any warranty!!)

Not sure why this is the case however since from my understanding two 3.6V 16340's would be the same to the circuitry as 2 3.6V Pila 300P's no?

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
Not sure why this is the case however since from my understanding two 3.6V 16340's would be the same to the circuitry as 2 3.6V Pila 300P's no?

I think this is in most cases like car manufacturer´s recommends: "use only and only their own brand accessories and parts" even if some parts comes from same sub-manufacturer.

In this Pila case there shouldn´t be any risk to flashlight (enough voltage range), but there maybe some differences in li-ion protection circuits that causes problems when they are charging.

I have used Pila IBC to charge AW-batteries year and half, which is forbidden by Pila.
Is there any real reasons for that than "don´t ever use any other products than ours", i don´t know.