Milkyspit KL4 P7 Mod, 500+ Lumens of Goodness!!!

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moderators: If this is better off in the Reviews Forum please feel free to move. If not, here is fine.

I recently had Milkyspit breath new life into one of my already favorite lights. He was able to put a SSC P7 into a KL4 head along with one of his Acorn drivers. The result was this:

KL4P7.jpg

KL4P73.jpg

KL4P72.jpg

KL4P75.jpg

KL4P74.jpg

DSC00159JPG.jpg

DSC00048JPG.jpg

DSC00056JPG.jpg

The light features three output modes. The middle is equivalent to a Surefire KL4 except with a larger hotspot. The low is ultra low, I'm going to guess around 8-12 lumens. High is about 500+ lumens.

The light is powered off of a single 17670, but it can run on a single R123 in a pinch for probably the most awesome amount of light from such a tiny light.

As you can see from the pics above, the LED is perfectly centered. If it looks a bit off in any of the pics above, that is simply due to the camera angle.

Runtime on high should be about 40 minutes as it is pulling about 2.2A from the battery on a fresh cell. However the light will get very hot to the touch after about 5 minutes. So high should only be used in short bursts. The good thing is that I have not noticed any color shift even with the high temps at extended runtimes.

Once again, Milky out did himself. This a terrific mod and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to breath new life into their KL4.

MSax

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice. It's the perfect size with more versatility.

Do you think that Milky can do the same with one of my 2nd gen L1 heads?

1996alnl

Enlightened
A L4 on roids...LOVE IT!
Any chance of some beam shots? Your killing me here.:crazy:

Take care

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance of some beam shots? Your killing me here.:crazy:

I will try, but I'm still very much in the learning process with beam shots. I can ussually get the shape, but the color matching is horrendous and doesn't do the light any justice. So till I can figure that out, I'd rather not post a beam shot. I'll work on it over the next few days.

How's the heat build-up on the middle acorn level?

You can run the light indefinitely at the middle level. It does get a bit warmer than if off, but no where near what a stock KL4 head would get to.

MSax

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice. It's the perfect size with more versatility.

Do you think that Milky can do the same with one of my 2nd gen L1 heads?

NR, I could build something similar in a 2nd gen L1 head... at the very worst, I'd replace the stock L1 head with a KX1 head (which is nearly identical) and am certain we could get it done from there. :thumbsup:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have a gen 1 KL1 head as well. Is that better?

NR, KL1rev1 head would work fine... the Acorn driver tucks nicely in the lower section with a little persuading... Cree MC-E or Seoul P7 would fit in the top, with whatever amount of reflector might fit. I wouldn't expect a super tight beam, but it wouldn't necessarily be mule-style flood, either... you'd pretty much get a big wall of light similar to that of the stock SureFire KL4, only much brighter. ;)

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave, How does this L4 compare to say a M6 w/ MN21?

No comparison, the M6/MN21 blows it away in sheer volume of light, throw and power. Not even a fair fight/comparison.

MSax

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, the M6 is a wee bit larger than a E2E-sized light, too.

Excellent point. For its size, there isn't anything that I've seen that puts out more light, but it really shouldn't even be in the same sentence with a M6.

MSax

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course. I just wondered since the Kl4 is 500 lumens and so is the M6, if they were comparable.

I think Surefire is very conservative when it comes to lumen ratings. If the KL4 is rated at ~500 lumens (which I think is pretty close to true) then the M6 is significantly more.:)

MSax

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The SF M6 MN21 is about 600-700lm on fresh batteries, at least that is what PK said IIRC.

This Acorn driver ... can it work as a one-level or two-level like the E2L?

bernie

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SF M6 MN21 is about 600-700lm on fresh batteries, at least that is what PK said IIRC.

bernie

Hi Bernie, been a while! :wave:

I can program the driver to behave that way, yes. :thumbsup:

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Milky has been pretty good to me with my lights recently. I like to have them set up with three levels. A normal operating level.... full blast and ultra low.

KISS works very well.

MSax