Silent Velcro

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my Heliotek and found the holster has a lot of velcro. This got me curious so I looked up velcro in Wikipedia, where it discusses the downsides. One of them is during military operations. Making the ripping sound gives your position away. The US Army asked Velcro to develop a "silent" velcro, so they came up with something which reduced noise by over 95%.

Has anyone handled/have this new velcro? If it's commercially available I'd like to get my hands on some!:grin2:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, haven't seen it but read up on it...:D but I guess the best part is it's now a reality.;)

Have you handled it? If so it must be the best thing since sliced bread.:D

Check out the article, it's interesting. It even talks about using velcro to attach flashlights to the side of tanks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velcro#Applications

Last edited:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting. Thanks for the link, dudemar. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Apparently the new Velcro is called the "Slidingly Engaging Fastener" developed by Leonard Duffy.

It should go in production this year by Lynx fasteners, but I haven't searched for actual available products.

Some pics:
qwikgrip1ur7.jpg

apphotowatch7qe4ls8.jpg

Cool stuff. :cool: :D

Last edited:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a belt sheath for my HideAwayKnife that uses a strange velcro-ish fastener, its like both sides are plastic nubs. you really have to press them together firmly, but once there its very secure and still pulls away quietly

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a belt sheath for my HideAwayKnife that uses a strange velcro-ish fastener, its like both sides are plastic nubs. you really have to press them together firmly, but once there its very secure and still pulls away quietly

EZPASS uses that too.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive always thought of somehow attaching velcro to a flashlight, and the otherside to the wall beside my bed. But i dont want to mess up the finish with sticky gunk..:sick2:

Crenshaw