lens cleaning dereelight

lurcher

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a Dereelight DBS 3SD. I notice if I look at the lense from an angle it looks dirty on the inside, kind of dusty and opaque, almost greasy. Its definitely not on the outside of the lense. There are some dust flecks on the reflector also. I took the head off the light and found that I could not easily twist out the reflector to access the glass, I did not want to force it. I assume the reflector is threaded into the head of the torch?

Also what would be the safest way to clean the lens with out damaging the coating? isopropanol and lens tissue?

Thanks in advance

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the reflector is threaded into the head. It should unscrew by hand, but sometimes they're in there pretty tight. If you can't get it out by hand, gently use a pair of pliers with a thin piece of cloth over the end of the reflector to protect it from marring.

You can use a bit of liquid dish soap and water to clean it (soap for hand-washing dishes, not for dishwashers), alcohol should be fine too.

When you reinstall the lens and reflector, gently stretch the o-ring to help it stay in its groove. As you tighten down the reflector, you'll have to make sure the oring stays in place. Tighten it until the lens just presses against the oring, then use your fingernail to gently push it into its groove. Tighten the lens a bit more. Repeat the process until the lens is flush and the oring is fully seated.

owner

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a Dereelight DBS 3SD. I notice if I look at the lense from an angle it looks dirty on the inside, kind of dusty and opaque, almost greasy. Its definitely not on the outside of the lense. There are some dust flecks on the reflector also. I took the head off the light and found that I could not easily twist out the reflector to access the glass, I did not want to force it. I assume the reflector is threaded into the head of the torch?

Also what would be the safest way to clean the lens with out damaging the coating? isopropanol and lens tissue?

Thanks in advance
Does yours look like this?
foggedck3.th.jpg

lurcher

Newly Enlightened
looking at mine with the naked eye it doesn't look too bad but yes it does look a bit like that when I look at the lens from an angle with the torch turned on. The other thing I have noticed is that occasionally when I turn the torch on it will come on and then immediately turn off. If I turn it back on again it will be OK. I have only had the torch for a week. I did a search on here and I read of one owner fitting a 41.8mm UCL lens.I guess if the Lens is damaged this might cure the problem. Also mine has the Q5 led. How much more throw does the the R2 give and how easy is it to upgrade the torch?

Last edited:

IcantC

Enlightened
looking at mine with the naked eye it doesn't look too bad but yes it does look a bit like that when I look at the lens from an angle with the torch turned on.

I noticed the same issue with my lens. It looks perfect otherwise, but once the light is on and looked at from an angle, it looks dirty on the inside. When it is off, it looks perfectly clear.

Ratton

Newly Enlightened
I noticed the same issue with my lens. It looks perfect otherwise, but once the light is on and looked at from an angle, it looks dirty on the inside. When it is off, it looks perfectly clear.

I have also only had mine for a week and I had not noticed this, so I checked it out and it also looks dirty on the inside, only when the light is on and looked at from an angel; plus you see a cross hair pattern across the complete lens. It looks perfectly clear when the light is off.

I have an OP reflector ordered for mine, so I will clean the lens at that time and see what happens. My serial number is HK080217707, are your serial numbers anywhere close?? Is this typical of all DBS V2's or just later ones?? :help:

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Just screw the reflector out and and the lens will fall out. Use the cloth that comes the DBS and give it a good cleaning. Mine was like thta also but now its clean.

IcantC

Enlightened
I don't think my DBS came with a cloth, but have plenty of microfiber ones at home.

When removing, we should be careful which side is which? Due to AR Coating?

I didn't want to wipe and induce scratching on mine.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I don't think my DBS came with a cloth, but have plenty of microfiber ones at home.

When removing, we should be careful which side is which? Due to AR Coating?

I didn't want to wipe and induce scratching on mine.

I thought the V2 lens was double-sided AR coating..

AR coated lense(double faces)
lense.jpg

Last edited:

owner

Newly Enlightened
I thought the V2 lens was double-sided AR coating..
Quoted from DBS V2 web page:
Glass: Toughened ultra clear glass lens with double face AR coating.
I think mine is far from 'ultra clear'. I took it out from the torch head. I cleaned it with no success.

IcantC

Enlightened
I PMed Alan a link to this thread hoping he can chime in.

Also once lens is removed, anyone else have a hardtime getting the lens oring to seat correctly?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW I don't take the lens out to clean,yes I unscrew the reflector.
Then I use a lens pen mini pro,try it out.
generally used for expensive camera lens so it will not mark or scratch the DBS UCL.:twothumbs

Picture of the pen
107.jpg

106.jpg

Last edited:

5.0Trunk

Enlightened

Also once lens is removed, anyone else have a hardtime getting the lens oring to seat correctly?

What I do is as your screwing down the reflector, just as it starts making contact with the lens use your finger nail to kinda press the o-ring in where it starts sticking out as you continue to tighten the reflector. Hope this helps.

owner

Newly Enlightened

I wait and see how Alan responds this time. I told him about the dirty lens and he supplied no solution to me.

Coaster

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about picking up a DBS v2 but seeing this I think I'll wait till it's figured out.

owner

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about picking up a DBS v2 but seeing this I think I'll wait till it's figured out.
A modified quote from the other:
"An $125 investment should not leave you wanting more!"

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wait and see how Alan responds this time. I told him about the dirty lens and he supplied no solution to me.
That's a bit weak. My DBS V2 glass is perfect with no blemishes at all. If you are unable to clean it, then a replacement MUST be provided.

The lights' performance will be seriously affected by a cloudy lense.
Push for a replacement!!!!

jr/

Latest posts