Cheap vs Expensive LED flashlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazed

Newly Enlightened
I'm just getting (properly) into flashlights, and have just recieved an Ultrafire 2AA/1CR123 Cree Q4 "230 lumen" (Don't know what the actual output is, though...) light, and am impressed by it. Looks decently built and must be a lot of light for the $22 I paid for it. At least it's miles ahead of my 2AA minimag with 1W luxeon drop-in.

What 'm wondering is how this light compares to the more expensive contenders with a claimed output in the same ballpark, from the more reputable contenders. What would be better about a Fenix T1 or something similar from Surefire? (Although it seems like all SF lights this powerful are incedescent.)

I'm also waiting for a "900 lumen" SSC P7 light from DX, and although I'm sure it won't output anywhere NEAR 900 lumens, it should also be a lot of light for 40 bucks, right?

IcantC

Enlightened
If you search you will find a lot of info.

Short answer why Fenix or SF(or other various established brands) are better than cheap lights; better build quality, better product and customer support, better resale value and reliable.

DM51

Flashaholic
IcantC has put it well. You probably need to read some reviews of existing lights to see what differences in quality to expect.

Your subject is far too broad in scope for a useful discussion, so I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.