Fenix E01 questions - beam colour and serial numbers

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I have just gotten a Fenix E01, with the intention of using it as a low power light for small tasks, and also keeping in a bag as a backup to my Fenix L1T and Petzl Headlight that I normally use.

I have two questions, namely about the beam colour and serial numbers...

On the serial numbers, I was led to believe (and semi confirmed with my L1T that the number is a batch code and relates to where it is sold - my L1t has a code of GBxxxxxx. With my E01, buought from teh same shop as the other light the code is 00RZ2P00034 which seem completely unrelated from before and what I have seen elsewhere, anyone able to elaborate on what it is/means?

The other question is about the beam colour, I know it is not perfect and does have a tint to it, but when I turned mine on I was quite staggered by quite how purple it really is so I have taken a picture of the beam alongside photos of my L1T and a Mag Solitaire (with fresh battery) as a comparison, and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it looks fine and I am just worrying, or if it is overly tinted and worth returning.
I do know some people have issues with the beam shape and so on, but that makes no real difference to me, whereas the colour is more of an issue. I should also say that if this is normal, I am still more than happy with the torch, just wondering if it is worth getting a replacement for a better tint, or if that is a waste of time.

All photos are unprocessed from the camera - 1", f8, ISO100 and set to the 'sunny' white balance and all taken from the same distance to a plainish wall (all I had to hand)

E01 -
IMG_9375.jpg

L1T -
IMG_9374.jpg

Maglite Solitaire -
IMG_9376.jpg

For anyone that has read this far, I do really appreciate any help, and would like to apologise for adding yet another E01 thread, but I couldn't find the information elsewhere when I know not all monitors and cameras are balanced the same and thought it best to ask in my own way...

Thanks again

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E01 uses the nichia GS which has a famously purple tint. Personally I am fine with it and I knew that it would be this color.
:welcome:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Nichia is known for blue/purple tints. If you think that's something you should try an older CS or a BS :eek:

Yours looks fairly typical.

The serial number is really a batch code, nothing more.

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
Nichia is known for blue/purple tints. If you think that's something you should try an older CS or a BS :eek:

Yours looks fairly typical.

The serial number is really a batch code, nothing more.

Into my pocket it goes then :) Cheers for the reassurance.

I thought the batch code was in relation to where the lights were sent, which works with my L1T (GB = a British supplier) but the code is completely different with the E01, and from odd comments elsewhere I had thought they were the same format, not the completely different version I have...

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Narcosynthesis and a warm :welcome:

My E01 has been purchased from a British seller and bears this serial number: GB123630

Around the oval central blue spot there is a yellow halo. :sigh:

My E01 looks very nice on the shelf where it spends its life.... :naughty:

jupello

Enlightened
My E01 seems to have pretty much same tint as your's in the picture, or tiny bit whiter.. it's hard to judge since the tint color seems more intense at some distances.
And I'm pretty sure that the two first letters in the serial tell which coutry's dealer it has been bought from. My E01 that came from 4sevens has USxxxxxx as serial, and I know that my local dealer has ones with FIxxxxxx serials here in Finland.

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
Cheers for the welcome, longtime lurker but only just gotten around to posting :)

I am even more confused now that my E01 has a completely different format of serial than seen on all the other lights (two letter country code / six digit number)...

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Narcosynthesis! My E01 has the same purple "rectoval" hotspot, but I think mine has a more yellowish sidespill. When I got mine, it was my first Nichia 5mm light and all of my other 5mm lights were a pure cool white, so I hadn't seen the "angry Nichia blue" (as they call it here) before. Got my E01, yeah I noticed it's bizarre tint and weird hotspot, but man I was impressed by what this thing put out and for how long. I only wish I had one back when I carried a Minimag and a Solitaire:green: outdoes both in my opinion in size and usefulness.

My E01 looks very nice on the shelf where it spends its life.... :naughty:

Sir, please step away from the white wall.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed it is a nice light, I've also noticed that the "rectoval" is in a halo, but not in the middle of it, but the rest of the beam isn't affected whatsoever. This thing has character!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Your E01 looks better than mine!

But it still lives on my keychain despite all the other choices out there.
Runtime runtime runtime

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
But it still lives on my keychain despite all the other choices out there.
Runtime runtime runtime

+1. Plus I don't mind it getting beaten up on my keychain and I've got a lummi raw al in my pocket if I need some more power, the E01 is just a lot easier to access quickly.