Brinkmann 2D 3 watt dimmable CREE

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I just bought the "Brinkmann 3 watt Digital 2D LED flashlight", and I am extremely impressed! This light takes 2D batteries, and has 4 brightness settings, ranging from very dim to being brighter than my 150 lumen Task Force 2C CREE. It also has a battery status indicator.

I believe it has a CREE XR-E emitter, because its emitter is identical to the white star in my Task Force, and how could anything other than a CREE be brighter than the Task Force at the same wattage. The package does not state what type of LED emitter it has, but I am 99% sure it is a CREE XR-E.

I am amazed by this light!! It is the brightest LED flashlight that I have ever personally held, and has a brighter hotspot than my 150 lumen 2C Task Force and more throw. It has a huge round white beam and an extremely bright perfect ring of spill. The only LED I have brighter than this is the Coleman 530 lumen, which is a much larger spotlight.

I am BLOWN AWAY at the power of this light! It is still small enough to EDC and I plan on carrying it all the time. It is made of black blastic and has a rubber bezel, and a digital control pad near the bezel with 4 easy to press buttons.

Overall I am extremely happy with this light, and look forward to using it from now on.

rockz4532

Enlightened
coool! can you post beamshots?
i wonder how this compared to the 2d husky that everyone is talking about.
Also, how much did it cost?

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*

Sorry, I don't have beamshots yet but maybe in the future. I bought this light from Target for $25, and am very happy with it.:twothumbs

I am curious too as to how this light would compare to the 2D Husky. The Brinkmann has the deepest reflector I have ever seen on any LED flashlight, which explains its super bright hotspot.

I did a ceiling bounce test between the Brinkmann and Task Force, and the Brinkmann lit the room up 20% brighter, which was quite impressive!

lightinsky

Enlightened
That's awesome!!! Where did you get it from? I want one too. It sounds like a beast.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
That's awesome!!! Where did you get it from? I want one too. It sounds like a beast.

Target.:thumbsup:

It truly is one beast of an LED flashlight, and an AMAZING thrower! Its spill is a huge flood of light many times brighter than that of the Task Force.

Marduke

Flashaholic

There is a mini-review of the light in the Review forum. Sadly the construction is rather poor and lighweight, and the heatsinking is non-existant. It's also large even for a 2D light.

These aspects relegate it to light duty home use.

Price is $30. There is also a smaller 3xAAA cousin with a scroll wheel to actuate the brightness control.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
There is a mini-review of the light in the Review forum. Sadly the construction is rather poor and lighweight, and the heatsinking is non-existant. It's also large even for a 2D light.

These aspects relegate it to light duty home use.

Price is $30. There is also a smaller 3xAAA cousin with a scroll wheel to actuate the brightness control.

EDIT: I found the review, thanks for the heads up.

It is extremely lightweight even with alkaline batteries, which I really like. It is a nice looking light, but construction does seem pretty mediocre.

I saw the Husky in Home Depot, and its reflector did not look quite as deep as the Brinkmann's. The Brinkmann's reflector appears about 3'' deep.

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I went out and tested the Brinkmann and the Task Force as soon as it got dark. The Brinkmann did a much better job lighting up my yard as it has a much larger hotspot and much brighter flood of spill. The Brinkmann also out-threw the Task Force, and lit up trees 100 yards away more brightly than the TF.

The Brinkmann was really amazing and was like having the power of a spotlight in my palm. This light has incredible THROW, yet a much larger spot than the Task Force. The Brinkmann is definitely quite a bit brighter than the TF and out performs it in all ways.

The good thing about the Task Force is that it is so much smaller, and a champion thrower for its miniature size. I still love my Task Force, but this new light is more fun if I want something to take on a walk at night as it is so super powerful.
The Task Force is still a more practical light though.

The Brinkmann is just pure fun with its huge floody spotlight beam, and I am even more impressed with it after tonight.

danielo_d

Enlightened
What is up?
Whatever it is, I'm liking it!
First there's the Husky 2D Beast. 4 Watt Cree.
Now the Brinkmann's 2D 3 Watt Cree.

New, Inexpensive Monster Lights in the line-up.

I'm just waiting to see what's coming next. :popcorn:

[edited - I mentioned the River Rock Cree at Target. Don't remember if it was 2C or 2D. If it was 2C, that's an older light. So, disregard the mention of the RR.]

Last edited:

The 8th Man

Newly Enlightened
I picked up that light a while ago and I found that it is really not a bad light, great throw, the only thing I need to mod is the switch, it has a panel on top with all the switches on it and non of them have any kind of markings that can be seen without having another light on??? Seems like a design flaw. I think the switches should have been raised up or something. I plan on gluing some kind of raised dots over each function switch so I can find them in the dark. Just a small rubber dot or even a dot of epoxy on each would help so I could at least feel for them.

As far as the light goes it really is worth the 25 I paid for it and it is cool.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I picked up that light a while ago and I found that it is really not a bad light, great throw, the only thing I need to mod is the switch, it has a panel on top with all the switches on it and non of them have any kind of markings that can be seen without having another light on??? Seems like a design flaw. I think the switches should have been raised up or something. I plan on gluing some kind of raised dots over each function switch so I can find them in the dark. Just a small rubber dot or even a dot of epoxy on each would help so I could at least feel for them.

As far as the light goes it really is worth the 25 I paid for it and it is cool.

I agree that it is a great thrower! I had that problem last night with the switch too, I was out in the darkness and trying to change the setting but since the pad doesn't glow or have buttons I was having a bit of a hard time with it. The ON/OFF button is easy to locate and press, but not the plus and minus buttons.

It has the biggest spot and best beam quality I have ever seen in an LED, and IMO it is a lot of power for only $25.

danielo d
What is up?
Whatever it is, I'm liking it!
First there's the Husky 2D Beast. 4 Watt Cree.
Now the Brinkmann's 2D 3 Watt Cree.

New, Inexpensive Monster Lights in the line-up.

I'm just waiting to see what's coming next.

[edited - I mentioned the River Rock Cree at Target. Don't remember if it was 2C or 2D. If it was 2C, that's an older light. So, disregard the mention of the RR.]

There really is a profusion of these monster CREEs, isn't there? The Coleman 530 lumen CREE LED spotlight is the most powerful one I know of to date.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh! You guys. Now I'm going to have to spend more money. My TF is my brightest LED light. I might have to give this a try. Don't recall seeing last time I was in the store a couple weeks ago.

Elliot

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up one of these Brinkman 2D digital dimmable lights:twothumbs, and I am impressed. It has four settings from very low to very bright. It's $25 dollars. It's plastic with some cooling vents (maybe) and has a rubber bezel. I will use it as a house work light, since I always worry about dropping my heavy metal lights and breaking the floor tiles.

It remembers the last brightness setting, and I estimate it as about 3 times the lumens of my Shiningbeam Q5 Rominsen RC-N3 (very nice) and about 1.5 to 2 times the throw. The Brinkman's spill is about 3 times the brightness.

I don't how how it will hold up to rought use as the digital "buttons" are already showing wear after a half hour of playing. It seems to be a very nice house and garden light.

PS: I took a look at the Home Depot's 2D Husky's and passed.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
JohnR66
Ahhh! You guys. Now I'm going to have to spend more money. My TF is my brightest LED light. I might have to give this a try. Don't recall seeing last time I was in the store a couple weeks ago.

It outshines the TF by a good amount, and really stomps it when you use them outside together. The Brinkmann is so much larger though that it is not really a fair comparison, but it has a truly amazing beam.

I just picked up one of these Brinkman 2D digital dimmable lights:twothumbs, and I am impressed. It has four settings from very low to very bright. It's $25 dollars. It's plastic with some cooling vents (maybe) and has a rubber bezel. I will use it as a house work light, since I always worry about dropping my heavy metal lights and breaking the floor tiles.

It remembers the last brightness setting, and I estimate it as about 3 times the lumens of my Shiningbeam Q5 Rominsen RC-N3 (very nice) and about 1.5 to 2 times the throw. The Brinkman's spill is about 3 times the brightness.

I don't how how it will hold up to rought use as the digital "buttons" are already showing wear after a half hour of playing. It seems to be a very nice house and garden light.

PS: I took a look at the Home Depot's 2D Husky's and passed.

I'm happy you are so impressed by it! It really does have amazing throw and is an extremely high output LED flashlight.

Mine has the same problem with the digital control pad getting scratched so easily, but luckily it is just the plastic film over the pad itself that gets indents.

f22shift

i took some pics of some of the new brinkmann's . they all have crees in them now.

Wow, excellent pictures. Thank you!

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this light yesterday at Target and passed. The quality looked pretty bad for $25. Reminded me of a cheap $3 flashlight but with lots of high tech features.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick heads up. My local Target has these at a reduced price of $15.99 - good value for the price.

lightinsky

Enlightened
Two words why I wouldn't buy one even though it's bright and same goes for the Husky cree at Home Depot. VERY UGLY!!!! The Dorcy one that puts out 220 Lumens with the tree shots I would since it's not ugly.

knv8

Newly Enlightened
check your local targets, price has dropped to $11 maybe even lower