TK11 hot spot off center

mutabi

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I bought a Fenix TK11 from a certain website a week or so ago and as soon as I turned it on, I could tell the hotspot off offcenter. By quite a bit in my opinion. Its pretty obvious due to the dark halo that is present. I called up the company I bought it from and they graciously sent me another head with a prepaid envelope to send the old one back.

Well I got the replacement head today, and even it is still quite a bit off center. I most definitely would not call it a "hair off center" like some reviews have described. Is this normal for the TK11. Just gonna be something I am gonna have to live with? Or should I call them and see if they got yet another head to send me?

Mutabi

Ray1968

Newly Enlightened
Mine is fairly off-center too, but it's really only noticeable while 'white-walling', so I just live with it.

beam1.jpg

mutabi

Newly Enlightened
Now that last beam shot is on a par with mine, although mine may be "a hair" worse haha. To be honest, I think this reflects badly on Fenix. And sure I dont know what goes into making these flashlights but how hard can it really be to center the LED?

Last edited:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Respectfully, stop hunting white walls and test it in the real world.

I bet you´ll not see any problems. :poke:

mutabi

Newly Enlightened
In the real world, it works amazingly well. It puts my L2D to shame, but I just can't shake that nagging feeling that it just aint right! I guess that makes me anal :)

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's fine. Everyone's does it. No problems in real life, choose the head with the better tint and be done with it :)

Axion

Enlightened
Harder than you think, especially with the die not always being centered within the LED package.

This. My TK11, Dereelight DBS, Dereelight C2H, and one of my two L2D's all have hot spot that are off center. In all cases the die is centered in the reflector, at least to the eye, but apparently the emitter isn't centered in the die.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
If you are unhappy with it, send it back. Or ask for a refund. An $85 investment should not leave you wanting more. There's nothing "anal" about that.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Is it as off centered as Ray1968's TK11? I'm not a bit ww hunter but Ray's is quite a bit off. :(

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Harder than you think, especially with the die not always being centered within the LED package.

Agree, that's Cree fault. And it is a problem in real life because defocused beam means less throw.

streetmaster

Enlightened
My T1 is off about as much as that picture, and it's because the die. The LED is centered nicely but the spot is way off like that. I just bought it, but can't return it if there are no more left to replace it with. So I'm stuck with it. But like others have said, in real use it's just fine. It's just that when you're in search of that "perfect" light, these issues are very annoying.

TexLite

Enlightened

Agree, that's Cree fault. And it is a problem in real life because defocused beam means less throw.

I'm seeing this more and more,

There is no way the "die" can be off center.

Its the dome that ends up off center because it "floats" on a layer of silicon,an interface between the die and primary optic(dome).Its the dome which causes the off center apparition.

-Michael

Last edited:

streetmaster

Enlightened
I'm seeing this more and more,

There is no way the "die" can be off center.

Its the dome that ends up off center because it "floats" on a layer of silicon,an interface between the die and primary optic(dome).Its the dome which causes the off center apparition.

-Michael

Ok, here's a close-up of the Cree in my T1. Tell me the die isn't off center.

MiscLEDLights038.jpg