Surefire G2 Upgrade?

DeSpicable

Newly Enlightened
Heres a project I want to do. I have a Surefire G2 flashlight I want to beef up a bit. By a bit, I mean 1000+ lumens. Will this require a new switch and reflector? What is the hottest bulb I can use without melting the 'nitrolon' plastic enclosure tube? Would putting a higher powered bulb in require an enclosure extension for extra batteries? Lastly, my budget is $35 for this project, not counting the flashlight or my time. :sick2:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A thousand-lumen emitter will melt the G2 like ice cream, and you're not going to get anywhere near that kind of output for $35 anyway.

The all-nitrolon G2 is a bad choice for a higher output upgrade, you might look into getting the newer one with the metal head, or a 6P clone/host.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a specific task you have in mind for the modded G2 or are you just after maximum lumen output?

I'm assuming the latter :D

The best you can most likely do in the G2 is a simple Malkoff M60L dropin - it will get you 140+ lumens for 4.5 hours at full output at $55.

Like StarHalo said, you need a metal bezel to act as a heatsink to handle much over the M60L's 140 lm output. Upgrading JUST the bezel on your G2 alone will cost you around $20...

Good luck!