Surefire L1, L2 and L4 question

crocodilo

Enlightened
Help needed. The current L1 version (2007, I believe) has a Cree emmitter (clearly identified on the package). Previous versions had Luxeons. Question: have the L2 and L4 suffered similar upgrades? How can one tell the difference? Only reviews I've found so far seem to speak of lights with a performance inferior to what Surefire's web site quotes.

Any additional comments or opinions on these lights is most welcome. I'm currently looking to get another 2x123 Surefire (besides the 6P/G2/C2 and E2L/E2DL series).

Are the L series, other than the L1, worth their price (compared to other Surefire products)?

Dadof6

Enlightened
I have not seen an update on teh L2 or L4 lights. Both the L2 and the L4 used the Lux 5 emitter and are great lights unto themselves. But because of the older emitters, they will burn hotter and the batteries will expire faster than lights with newer technology.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you prefer bleeding edge technology, the L2 and L4 probably aren't worth it. I'd argue that no subsequent, comparable light has put out quite as floody a beam as either the Surefires, but at this point, they're lacking a bit in both output and runtime compared to current lights. They ought to make great modding hosts for the new Cree MC-E though.

However, both the U2 and L5 were recently updated.

crocodilo

Enlightened
Guys, that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thanks for your replies.

I guess I'll just buy another L1!
(mine's gone)