Egg candling light recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babo

Newly Enlightened
A large Asian conglomerate has selected my community to locate its egg candling operation. It has committed to hiring five hundred of our residents to work from home candling chicken, duck, and goose eggs. I have been asked by the mayor to look into the equipment each "candler" will need. Obviously, a light is at the top of the list. I am looking for a strong beam and a light that is cost effective to use continuously for hours at a time. The light should also be small enough that the user can hold it for extended periods without fatigue. Each employee will be candling a minimum of two hundred-dozen eggs per shift. We will probably be ordering in bulk ...at least six hundred lights and three thousand batteries to begin with. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently built a unit for my mother to candle her peacock eggs. I just built a simple box with a ceramic socket and a 120Vac 100W halogen bulb with a momentary switch. If you are talking a large scale operation, you could probably build a large muti-station unit. For a full time continuous operation, I would think AC powered fixed units would be a better solution than battery powered handheld units.

BTW: Egg candling is shining a bright light through the egg to see if the egg has been fertilized and has an embryo growing inside.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
So would one assume that Incans would work better in this application compared to LEDs?

Mayo

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen setups that is bascally a box with many holes cut on top, with flourescent tubes inside for light, probably works quicker and less fatigue than any hand held light.

So would one assume that Incans would work better in this application compared to LEDs?

Mayo

Doesn't matter in this case, you just need light strong enough to shine through the egg so you can see if there's any shadow inside.

Babo

Newly Enlightened
Ours is a poor community. Work will be done in the homes and there is no way to get electricity to those homes. We make our own candles, and the cost of using them would be prohibitively expensive due the the labor involved; thus the need for battery operated candling lights. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Coaster

Newly Enlightened
I guess the first trick is going to be to figure out how much output is needed to efficiently candle an egg.

I would guess that you'd want a single mode forward clicky that uses 2AA or maybe D cells.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't fall for it. The original post is BS and the original poster has a long history of BS threads. Fluff posting, I guess, would be the more polite term. A joke is one thing but using the good and trusting nature of this community to try and sucker members into ridiculous conversations for one's own entertainment is something else indeed.

Babo's BS thread question for good EDC to use up 800 D cell batteries.

Babo's BS thread about thanking the CPF community.

Babo's BS thread about looking for a flashlight mount for a vacuum cleaner.

Babo's BS thread about looking at a horse's Patoodie.

Babo's BS thread about the embarrassment of wearing a headlamp.

Babo's BS thread for a shoe light.

Babo starts his own BS flashlights as weapons thread.

Babo's BS thread about searching for a left handed flashlight.

Ours is a poor community. Work will be done in the homes and there is no way to get electricity to those homes. We make our own candles, and the cost of using them would be prohibitively expensive due the the labor involved; thus the need for battery operated candling lights. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Speaking of BS, what a piece of ................work.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah his last post raised BS meter, computer and internet access sure is avaliable for a place that has no way to get electricity into homes.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Babo,

Some of my staff are funded by significant state budgets, in addition to egg candling they are also commited to research of inovative lighting solutions for the local health trusts, as it pertains specifically to local Rectology departments.

I believe there is a 6D Magilte going spare if you know where to put it.

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah his last post raised BS meter, computer and internet access sure is avaliable for a place that has no way to get electricity into homes.
:laughing:

Well there is that, the ol' BS meter. Or:

Maybe Babo is serious. Perhaps we could teach him how to build a methane generator for his village. He has a seemingly endless supply of source fuel. Heck I'd even send him an old BS meter he could use as a fuel gauge. This way his settlement would have electric lighting and could candle all of the goose eggs the massive conglomerate can send. The local economy would grow. The quality of life would increase. And Babo could attain a higher status in his little hamlet. That would be great because right now I'm sure he's the village...uh...the village...erm. Somebody help me here. I can't think of the the term. The village _____.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Babo,

My brother-in-law is a farmer in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Near Luray.

He raises turkeys as well as farming for other agricultural products.

He has electricity to most of the turkey houses, and has egg boxes with incan bulbs for egg lighting. However, there are several (including two on his brother's property) that do not have electrical drops. They do not use candles due to the fire hazard. Hence, they utilize Maglite C and D cell lights for this purpose. Far safer than candles, and fairly inexpensive. Interesting- I'll try to get a picture- the flashlights all have "USDA" engraving on the bezels next to the Maglite logos. Also a few that have different DoD (Department of Defense" engraving too- Navy, Army, and very interestingly, "Department of Public Health." Some very cool colors too. No NASCAR ones, though they'd be a hit with my BIL and his buddies! :)

There are Federal programs for these efforts. His Maglites are purchased as a farm subsidy program. It is funny- he has a far larger collection of Maglites than anyone I know! Batteries are included, as well.

You may be amazed to see what is funded and subsidized on a farm. Interesting note- they cannot obtain help for paying for any heating or "air conditioning" (think fans) to maintain a hospitable temperature for the turkeys. Yet they receive "free" Maglites, "free" turkey feed (experimenatal feeds to increase yields by 33- 56%), as well as "free" assistance when an especially virulent bird flu wiped out 15% of their turkeys, and they needed to put down the remainder. The good news- the meat was only used in processed turkey rolls, and did not get released for "Thanksgiving" frozen turkeys. They also received specific funding when one of the "experimental" feeds were studied over a period of four years, and a clear trend demonstrating increased tumor growth led to the destruction of yet another group of turkeys. Again, all was not lost, as they were used in turkey rolls and commercial turkey pot pies.

I don't know if the Asian conglomerate will qualify for Federal assistance, but I highly recommend reaching out to the Department of Commerce. I have many contacts at "Ag" so let me know if I can assist you. If not, and they associate themselves with one of the larger turkey producing houses (think "Butterball") then their worries about egg candling will be taken care of.

My only concern would be the possible effects of local rodents and birds that access the experimental feeds. I would honestly hazard you against allowing your children, pets, etc. get exposed to the feed or other animals that may have been exposed. Just call me paranoid... After hanging out at his farm over the past several years, we've seen some really strange sights...

Please PM me for contact details. Uncle Sam is here to help!:wave:

EDIT: Babo, a question: Is the Asian conglomerate also importing the chicks? The group that were put down at my brother-in-law's were imported directly from Asia. They've done this several times, as have many of the turkey farmers in his region. There have been several smaller scale outbreaks of flus, and a couple that required the entire Valley to quarrantine the farms and "dispose" of the flocks. But again, quite often at least a percentage are reused in processed turkey, such as turkey rolls, "Lunchables," and turkey pot pies. He's been able to recoup his losses and at least break even. The Asian chicks are far less expensive. Just a thought! It might help our community, as the cost of acquiring the chicks is much lower, and with the special feeds yields can be higher, increasing profits and therefore taxes for the community.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
One question: WHERE is your community?? interested to know where in the world is a community without electricity but with the funds to buy 600 flashlights and 3000 cells

GPB

Enlightened
I find myself torn between accepting the inherant downside to freedom of speach, and wishing a moderator would close his account and delete all his posts. Would it be inappropriate to use this thread to solicit opinions from other members as to whether he should be sanctioned in some way ?

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
ahhh, yes I hear that patoodie has been using the nanolube for disposing of BABOon's excess D batteries.....The local plumber comes to their hut often ya know

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
GPB -

I'm fairly sure it's OK to suggest moderation before something is done. Generally the mods and admins prefer a report through the "report this thread" button. Exceptions are occasionally made and that is, of course, their call. It's the after-the-fact discussions that are strictly disallowed. CPF has a tradition of self-moderation. Sometimes I think that's the best course.

Babo's BS threads often start out with enough realism that if one's BS meter is set to low the BS might not be detected. Because there is a high level of intellectual trust on this bulletin board his first one or two posts can often get by. He'll then add more bullsh!t until members realize they've been had. By doing this Babbs can feel a moment of false superiority. This speaks volumes about his character and credibility.

Perhaps we should show some sympathy for poor Babo. That he trolls for entertainment is sad. Perhaps he is lashing out because he is a victim of a harsh society that is cruel to babos. Poor, poor babos. It's not their fault they are babos.

I think as long as we are having fun with it we should make the best of this thread. If you know ahead of time that the other threads are BS then the intellectual insult doesn't occur and the humor can be enjoyed. For me, well, I find the pathetic nature of trolls to be much more humorous than this one's sophomoric escapades. The plight of the poor trolls. The plight of the poor babos. How f'd up life must be for them, the goofy little keyboard warriors. Hilarious! :crackup:

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dear Mr. Babo,

I represent the King of Nigeria. Due to an excess of funds, I am tremendously happy to in form you that you have been selected to receive a large sum of money. Just email me your bank account details and passwords so that I may transfer the money to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.