Is it possible to use RCR123A's in a E1L ?

Photon Joe

Newly Enlightened
I guess I should say is it safe to use RCR123A's in a Sure Fire E1L Outdoorsmen?
This is a new light with the cree emitter.
Will it harm the light?

Last edited:

Nathan

Enlightened
IIRC, from reading posts of more knowledgable members, the KX1 and a 3.7V rechargeable is not a safe combination.

In addition, the light flickers from low to high every few seconds. I don't know if this serves as warning of an unsafe condition, or it is SureFire's way of discouraging the use of rechargeables.

If you want to use an RCR123, get a KX2 head and put it on a 1x123 body.

Photon Joe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I did not want to fry my new light.
It does have a KX1 head, so no go.
Would a KX2 head put out less light if used on a x1 cell body, or would runtime be less?

Nathan

Enlightened
Would a KX2 head put out less light if used on a x1 cell body, or would runtime be less?

On a single RCR123, output is slightly less and runtime is a little under an hour on high before dropping out of regulation.

Photon Joe

Newly Enlightened
On a single RCR123, output is slightly less and runtime is a little under an hour on high before dropping out of regulation.

Thanks for the info. I will just leave well enough alone then and stay stock with this one.
I am just happy to have one, rechargables would be nice, but I can't complain since it was free.