Lock stock and barrel, any winter projects?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a new lock stock and barrel to make myself a new rifle. My old one has developed a fractured wrist which I dont know if it will last the season safely. So it is time for a new one. It will be a Transitional ( the transition period between German Jaguers and the Golden Age Kentucky rifles) Pre-Revolutionary Pennsylvania longrifle. It will be .54 caliber and use a large transitional flintlock. It should make a nice winter project. First I have to read the book building the Pennsylvania Longrifle as it has been a long time since building a rifle from scratch. Well almost from scratch. I did splurge for a stock with a barrel channel and ramrod groove cut in. I have to inlet and carve everything else.

I am already sweating thinking about the cutting of the dovetails in the barrel for sights and tenons, lol, would hate to toss it and start over, lol.

I also want to make myself a new knife since it had been a while since I made one just for me and I have a pattern in my head.

Any winter projects you plan on endulging in over the long cold winter?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm working through a carpentry project. I'm building modular sets of shelves. (They are small, they snap together, they may be set up many different ways, they mix and match with other sizes of shelves I've built).

I'm also designing a piece of patio furnature with TWO stoves hidden inside of it. One would be set up for cooking with propane (I've already built a 'plant bench' that has 5 20 lb propane pigs hidden inside it). I'm also mulling over building a solar cooker into the same piece with the propane stove.

Both stoves would be used for cooking outside in the summer when I don't want to heat the house any more than necessary because of the AC. Of course, the unit would also have great value in times of emergency -- not to mention just using it as much as possible in times of rising energy costs.

Last edited:

ledlurker

Enlightened
What a neat idea, kind of hiding your propane in plain sight. I might have to do that. I hate having propane tanks in my garage where a neighboors kid might think it is cute to hit it with a hatchet, hammer or whatever. If the plans are avialable on the net could you pm me the link.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a neat idea, kind of hiding your propane in plain sight. I might have to do that. I hate having propane tanks in my garage where a neighboors kid might think it is cute to hit it with a hatchet, hammer or whatever. If the plans are avialable on the net could you pm me the link.
Sorry, I don't have a link, I just made it up. I had quite a few used 2x6s which I used. The TARE weight (empty weight) of a 20 lb propane bottle is 17-18 lbs so a full one is going to approach 40 lbs. Hence the 2x6s.

I really like having them hidden outside where they may be stored without violating any building codes. I also made the bench longer by an extra 18" so I may also safely stow a couple gallons of white gas for yet another emergency stove.

DieselTech

Enlightened
I've got a bunch of winter projects...one of these winters, I might actually get one done. :crackup::popcorn:

I've got one tractor that I just picked up that needs to be repainted. Somewhere along the line, the IH got painted in John Deere green and yellow. Need to fix that. The other tractor has a few slight leaks, and a handful of other little things to attend to.

I've also got an old percussion rifle that my uncle gave me when I was born. My father disassembled it several years ago and stripped the stock to refinish it. I have all the parts and pieces, save for some screws. I would love to get it finished and put back together, but I'm having trouble locating the few missing bits.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I've also got an old percussion rifle that my uncle gave me when I was born. My father disassembled it several years ago and stripped the stock to refinish it. I have all the parts and pieces, save for some screws. I would love to get it finished and put back together, but I'm having trouble locating the few missing bits.
DIXIE GUN WORKS rocked and rocked and rocked thirty years ago for original replacement screws, etc for all manner of vintage gunz. I loved 'em. They had a paper catalog that was like a phone book, and fair prices. I don't know if they're still around but they were very serious about the hobbie. A search for them may be in order. They had a lot of goodwill built up back then. Maybe they are still out there...

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dixie Gunworks and Track of the Wolf are good sources, what is the manufacturer of the rifle, or how old is it?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard nothing but praise whenever Dixie Gunwroks is mentioned.

I'm relining the barrels on my 22 rifles this winter at some point. GOt the drill and liner now just need the time to sit down and do it correctly. The original lining has been a little worn after all the target range trips.

DieselTech

Enlightened
I'll give Dixie Gun Works a call. The rifle is a .36 caliber Thompson/ Center. I've tried asking Thompson about it, but they weren't able to provide me with any help.

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
Good point, it is time to come up with a winter project. Last year I rejuvenated a 20-year old road bicycle. Maybe it is time to wrap up the genealogy project. Thats not a nuts and bolts thing, but has some interesting history. Or refinish something.