good led upgrade for pelican m3 or stealthlite?

whooda4

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a pelican m3 (3 cr123a) and would like to upgrade the led in it. I was wondering if someone has done this already, if not what would be a good start? It is the led version of the m3

I also have a pelican stealthlite 4aa and was wondering if there was a led/reflector drop in for that too? I have been searching but noting answers all my questions.

I will be putting the stealthlite on my helmet and just dont like the weak incan bulb. The pelican led module is too expensive for what it is. I have used it, and its nice but not amazing.

the 50ish lumens just does not cut it. sorry if it is a dumb question im new to messing with these leds.

thanks
mike

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no simple mods for the Stealthlite afaik.
Is the M3 an incan version or the LED version?

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
any idea if the M3 bulb module shares the same design & dimensions of the M6 & M1?

i have the M6 & M1, my DX style drop-in is compatable with both.:eek: but for the M3, better check voltage range. 1 more cell may fry an emitter. :sick2:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using a D26 Cree drop in my 4AA Stealthlite. It is a bit small so you need to move it around a bit for the switch to work.

I use a plastic ring to hold it in position (inside the bezel).

Heatsinking isn't good at all, but the water here is usually close to freezing so it should survive ok.

Sverre

whooda4

Newly Enlightened
sorry, its the led version. It reads lumileds with one lead coming off each side of the led. I can take a picture if necessary.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
No worries, we know what's in there. Being the LED type it shouldn't be too hard to do a direct emitter swap. A SSC P4 will do pretty well as a replacement for the Luxeon that's in there now. I don't have one to look at to be sure but iirc the emitter should be mounted on a star. So you may be able to get the reflector off, desolder the leads and pry off the star.

Interesting that you can get a D26 to work out in the Stealthlite nofair. Guess there may be hope for that one as well fi a bit of ingenuity is put into it. :grin2:

adnj

Enlightened
The Lux3 is mounted on a star. Just unscrew the the bezel and the front lense will come away easily. The star is mounted with screws and some thermal paste.
I don't have one to look at to be sure but iirc the emitter should be mounted on a star.

rhino465

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a pelican m3 (3 cr123a) and would like to upgrade the led in it. I was wondering if someone has done this already, if not what would be a good start? It is the led version of the m3

I have (a couple of) the M3 3370 (incandescent version) and have been asking around for the same kind of upgrade.

So far, I've been able to get a DealExtreme SKU #1447 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1447 to function properly. I've also tried the SKU#11836 drop-in (which has the R2 emitter), but it does not work. Most recently I tried the reflector/emitter module from an UltraFire C1 (SKU#14027) upon recommendation from another topic, but it did not function either.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
No worries, we know what's in there. Being the LED type it shouldn't be too hard to do a direct emitter swap. A SSC P4 will do pretty well as a replacement for the Luxeon that's in there now. I don't have one to look at to be sure but iirc the emitter should be mounted on a star. So you may be able to get the reflector off, desolder the leads and pry off the star.

Interesting that you can get a D26 to work out in the Stealthlite nofair. Guess there may be hope for that one as well fi a bit of ingenuity is put into it. :grin2:

I've gotten the stealthlite to work with all the led drop ins I have using normal AAs. Getting the switch to work is a bit tricky, but the results are pretty impressive when it works.

D26 drop ins work in the Pelican 3C Sabrelight as well. The old one without the batterycarrier is better. It can be pretty impressive with 2 18650s and a 320 lumen HO bulb from LumensFactory, the new 500 lumen IMR bulbs might work as well. The cold water prevents the plastic lens from melting:D At least with the 320 lumen bulb. A P91 should be great as well.

Sverre

photoncannon

Newly Enlightened
DealExtreme SKU #1447 out of stock -- another alternative for Pelican M3 3370?

I have been searching the forum for a CREE upgrade for the Pelican M3 3360 incan 3xC123. This thread and one or two others zero in on the DealExtreme SKU #1447 which is now out of stock :-(

Has anyone found an alternative drop-in for this flashlight? If not, I'll order something else from DealExtreme that is close and get my lathe out.

Latest posts